New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

Oyster Crackers / Smokestack Lightning

Started by zintar, December 19, 2007, 03:30:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

zintar

December 19, 2007, 03:30:32 am Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 05:15:11 am by zintar3000
 Man, this tune ( trk. 4 CN II ) is really great. It seems to me that it is loosely based around the main riff from Smokestack Lightning. Was that intended or were you guys just jamming ? Either way, I\'m totally into this track. Sweet. I\'ve always loved that tune. The "room" sound of Bucket\'s intro solo is very,very nice. Hey Travis, what kind of amp was used for that guitar part ? In fact, the guitar tones throughout this album are very cool. Warm, stingy, wicked, smooth. What about your sound here, amps ... direct ... both ? Insane, the interplay between you two here. What\'s for dessert ?? Thanks.

OK, I\'m adding more here, hehe. I\'ve listened to this a few more times tonite. Wicked. Hendrix, of course... I also get a Garcia \'68 type vibe around 7.25 or so. Wow. Thanks.  We\'re really digging this release!!

Jedisjumphigh

I agree with the comments about Buckethead\'s tone.

Travis, if you ever do make a Population Override 2, I would LOVE to hear an all-out blues song with buckethead playing in the same tone he uses in Oyster Crackers.

Travis

Well I was just playing whatever came into my head. Howlin Wolf is one of my all time favorites. The riff actually goes back farther than that but Wolf and later the Yardbirds defined it.  The guitar is a Tele going into a Fender Twin. I was definitly trying to get the Clapton Bluesbrakers sound by using a condeser mike far from the amp.

zintar

December 20, 2007, 02:32:35 am #3 Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 04:20:28 am by zintar3000
Hey Thanks Travis !! I am also a big Howlin Wolf fan.
I figured that was how you got that guitar sound. Very nice. To me, most music is WAY too overproduced anymore. I love that old sound. I also really like early Dead versions of Smokestack with Pigpen on vocal.
One time I did not include a track on one of my albums because during my solo ( guitar ) I, without thinking, started to play Zappa\'s Uncle Meat in the middle. Hahaha. ( the version I used on the album had a different guitar solo by Zoogz Rift   ;D ).