New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

"In search of" is already up on torrent sites

Started by JSTHERACON, February 28, 2007, 04:56:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

phartacus

QuoteThanks to keagan2387 and phartacus for the support in this thread. I think I have said all I want to Solar...it\'s really like talking to a brick wall.

yea its sorta descended into the crapper

toymachine

I registered just to call Solar a fucking moron..

there..

OMG I\'M NOT HURTING ANY1 BY DOWNLOADING BUCKETHEADZ MUSIC EYE NEVER BUY CDS I AM SO COOL WITH MY BATTORRENTXZ

toymachine

Quote"When you dl entire CDs from indie artists like Bucket, you really are taking money right out of their pockets. In addition, you\'re also screwing over the rest of us. Just as shoplifting results in higher prices in stores, if the artist loses CD sales to torrent downloads, it will lead to higher prices and less music."

Yes. But if he wouldn't get a sale anyway, BECAUSE THEY CAN'T AFFORD IT, it wouldn't matter. At all.

Yeah and then everyone adopts this philosophy and Buckethead never gets the money he fucking deserves.

"There are plenty of places to hear Bucket without ripping off entire CDs: his MySpace, all the YouTube links where he\'s kindly allowed people to tape his shows, his own site, this site, etc."

Congratulations. You know where else you can get his music? By downloading his CDs. And if you wouldn't have bought them anyway, it wouldn't do any harm at all, just as watching Youtube videos do no harm.

that is the dumbest thing I\'ve ever read.

"but I can\'t afford it!" So? Life\'s not fair, and we don\'t always get everything we want. That doesn\'t mean you have to resort to theft."

Theft is bad because it hurts people and their sales. Like I've said (what, three times now?) if he wouldn't get a sale anyway, because they can't afford it, it hurts nothing, and therefore is not morally wrong at all.

you\'re like a broken record

toymachine

Yes. Let\'s question.

Should we legalize murder?

No. People have the right to live.

End of questioning.

let\'s question what you are advocating

ARTISTS HAVE THE RIGHT TO GET MONEY FOR THEIR MUSIC

end of questioning

rezonator

Quote"Ah, but yes, it is stealing. When you buy a CD, you\'re really not paying for the actual plastic disc, you\'re purchasing a personal copy of the content. The songs are the product, whether they are packaged in a tangible form such as a CD or as an mp3. If there is a set price for ownership of a copy of those songs, and you do not pay it, you\'ve committed an act of theft."

Except the artist loses money by producing thousands of copies of that CD. You are paying him for the CD, as a carrier of the art. If you couldn't buy that CD in the first place, downloading the album hurts nothing. Sixth time I've proven that.

"And intent is really irrelevant. It doesn\'t matter if you weren\'t planning on buying the album. You\'ve still taken something without paying for it."

You haven't taken anything from anyone. You did not take the CD. You downloaded a copy of the music, hurting no one. If you steal the Mona Lisa, it's theft. If you print off a copy of the Mona Lisa from you're computer, it's not. You don't have to pay for the Mona Lisa to enjoy its art.

"Again, for that 13 year old kid who downloads albums because they want the music...sorry, again, no sympathy here."

And the truth doesn't give a rat's ass if you have sympathy or not. The 13 kid hurts nothing and no one, and therefore is doing nothing wrong. Seventh time.

"Instead of looking for instant gratification, how about working to earn what you want? Or do you really think that in the real world, you\'ll just be able to take whatever you please, without repercussions?"

Talk to the people downloading the album. But I don't see why they should save up for gratification later when they could just get gratification now. That 13 year old kid needs his money for other things, and by the time he finally gets the doe, I'm sure they'll be out of print, and then he'd have to get one over E-Bay.

Oh, wait... people don't have the right to sell or share other people's art. So I guess we should make E-Bay illegal too.

i can\'t believe this!
your ethics are quite askewed sir.you\'re saying that i can  ::) have your next paycheck,allowance,etc. because i wouldn\'t have worked anyway?making and distributing a cd takes time,effort,and money to do.am i wrong in saying that?your "working at a job/doing chores at home" takes time(maybe not effort and money),correct? what is the difference between the two?the ammount of money earned might one difference,but that\'s relative.if you are going to download a cd of buckethead\'s and not pay him for it,i\'d gladly garner your wages "inconspicuously"in the same,simple electronic manner and pay him for what you stole and then keep the rest; i wouldn\'t have worked in the first place for the money,so it doesn\'t hurt you because you "wouldn\'t realize" your money was gone.that\'s essentially what you said.you think doing what you do doesn\'t hurt him financially,but it does.if i take your money,you can\'t pay the mortgage;if you take cds(in any form) from buckethead,he can\'t pay his mortgage.buy his music if you have even the smallest desire to own it(or "try" it),or he might just lose the desire to make music if it can\'t cut the bills any longer.do you want buckethead to get rid of his image(mask/kfc)and go play for ozzy and "sell out" to whoever needs a guitarist or have to get a different job so he would only have time to play a few gigs a year in san fran?i sure wouldn\'t.i\'d like him to be comfortable doing what he\'s doing now;not having to worry about cutthroats like yourself slashing his cd sales in half. ::) ::) ::) :P
i am a nincompoop mama said!

Veinsonfire

Hi, I\'m Carlos. 18 years old, an avid Buckethead fan first, and a borderline-nihilistic unscrupulous thief with no remorse for his crimes second. I\'ll admit it, I have downloaded Buckethead albums several times, most of his discography actually. So yeah, I owe lots of money to big B and Travis. Why? Because I have no money, no job, I\'m supported by a single mom, and even if I could get my hands on some minimum wage I have more important stuff to spend it on, like a $4,500 debt that is driving me insane at the moment. All I can offer is a seemingly worthless promise to both Travis and Brian to contribute with a more than hefty donation in the future, as soon as I start counting with an income of my own.

So... what is my stance on the free distribution of the ISOT set? Well I personally couldn\'t simply download 13 CD\'s which have been so epically crafted with such noble intentions towards the consumer/fan/bot and act like it\'s business as usual. I just can\'t and won\'t, I don\'t know if I will ever get the money in time to order a set before Brian gets tired of the obvious hard work it takes to single-handedly produce every order, but I do know that if I never do I\'ll never listen to it. Partly out of respect, and because it wouldn\'t be the same as having those sweet, sweet doodles I drool over every day.
Tough shit, etc..

matt

Quote"When you dl entire CDs from indie artists like Bucket, you really are taking money right out of their pockets. In addition, you\'re also screwing over the rest of us. Just as shoplifting results in higher prices in stores, if the artist loses CD sales to torrent downloads, it will lead to higher prices and less music."

Yes. But if he wouldn't get a sale anyway, BECAUSE THEY CAN'T AFFORD IT, it wouldn't matter. At all.

... I fail to see the logic in that because said person is still stealing the material. Someone not being able to afford something has nothing to do with it, If I wanted a shelby colbra, (but can\'t afford one obviously) that doesn\'t mean that I can just go steal one because I really want it... and yes, that is the same situation.

If you want something, earn it, don\'t be a cheapass. If you can\'t afford it, tough shit, not everyone gets what they want.

BucketSam

Rite, I am fully against torrenting music and all that because you can not debate if it is illegal or not because it is END OF! >:(

Anyway, I badly wanted the set soooooo much but I couldn\'t afford it due to the fact I\'m a 16 year old student so i got my Dad to buy it for me. Wait! Before you call me a spoilt brat or something like that, I came to an agreement with him that I would work for the CD\'s. So over the summer, I am working around the house doing jobs like wiring and garden work for my Dad and earning each CD one by one. So in the end everybody wins. I get my CD\'s, my Dad gets a tidier house and Buckethead gets the money he more than deserves. My point is that there is no excuse for illegal downloading in any form! Im using myself as an example because I wouldn\'t have had a hope in hell of getting the money for ISOT but by WORKING FOR IT, I can, in the end have a Set of my own  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

This is a very lazy teenager speaking here, so if people want the set but wont work for it, then I say they are not fit to be Buckethead fans! :P

Cobretti

May 31, 2007, 11:34:11 pm #68 Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 11:34:35 pm by Cobretti
^Congrats ;)

I\'ve been a long time getting the set myself. I\'m a 22 year old student but I\'ve had alot of things to pay for lately with fees etc. I didnt even consider downloading it, whats the point in that. Finally placed my order...well worth it.

matt

June 01, 2007, 01:47:34 am #69 Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 01:48:07 am by matt
QuoteRite, I am fully against torrenting music and all that because you can not debate if it is illegal or not because it is END OF! >:(

Anyway, I badly wanted the set soooooo much but I couldn\'t afford it due to the fact I\'m a 16 year old student so i got my Dad to buy it for me. Wait! Before you call me a spoilt brat or something like that, I came to an agreement with him that I would work for the CD\'s. So over the summer, I am working around the house doing jobs like wiring and garden work for my Dad and earning each CD one by one. So in the end everybody wins. I get my CD\'s, my Dad gets a tidier house and Buckethead gets the money he more than deserves. My point is that there is no excuse for illegal downloading in any form! Im using myself as an example because I wouldn\'t have had a hope in hell of getting the money for ISOT but by WORKING FOR IT, I can, in the end have a Set of my own  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

This is a very lazy teenager speaking here, so if people want the set but wont work for it, then I say they are not fit to be Buckethead fans! :P

Same here, 15 n\' I made a similar agreenment with my mom as well. Besides... half the fun of ISOT is recieving the personalized set.

Dom

I hope karma catches up to you tards who think downloading is OK and you get hit by a bus on the way to school.

matt

Is there anyway to get Buckethead albums pulled from websites such as www.albumbase.com ?

Morphox

Well I first heard about Buckethead searching for guitar videos on Youtube. I found a load of songs from \'COLMA\' on it, and fell in love. I downloaded a few tracks and decided to buy the album. Now I buy all my Buckethead albums without question.

I don\'t think that\'s so wrong but I do see the problem with torrents, I think people that upload the torrents should go to hell. I mean, if I saw my work up for download I would go out of my way to sue all those mother fuckers that think it\'s right.

Good day.

CMA

i am all for p2p network/torrent sharing.

i am with JSTHERACON on this, i feel his argument is spot on.

:)

coolwalking

June 12, 2007, 07:40:26 am #74 Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 07:41:00 am by coolwalking
I\'m definitely on the pro-sharing side. Most of the reasons have already been said by JSTHERACON, Solar, and bhead51.  I\'m also against the whole concept of  Intellectual Property, for reasons that can mostly be summed up here.

The "it\'s against the law" argument is nothing short of moronic as I see it.  I don\'t see how it\'s possible for someone to let their definition of morality rest solely on the law, which was created by some arbitrary humans.  There is no "universal truth" in the law, it is not always right - the law changes, and laws even conflict across countries.