New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

where to start "Thanatopsis"

Started by Jordanatron, March 04, 2007, 02:06:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordanatron

March 04, 2007, 02:06:39 pm Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 03:20:16 pm by Breastmeat
I like what I hear from Thanatopsis just not sure where to start, will get them all eventually. what do you think.
Be true to yourself you can't go wrong.
Mr Bocbacoc
ISOT-206 BP-17 DCK-228

keagan2387

all of them are great but probably axiology.

Jordanatron

Done, thanks is this the majority\'s favorite?.
Mr Bocbacoc
ISOT-206 BP-17 DCK-228

bornalive

My own favorite is the first one.

Dark, heavy, insane, beautiful...

Crazy solos by Bucket and Travis, entertaining drumming by Ramy...

And, Travis\'s harmonies really give a special feeling to Buckethead\'s melodies/solos. It\'s something that I also enjoy on Somewhere Over the SlaughterHouse track 3 (Pin Bones and Poultry).

Slunker

My favorite is probably Anatomize, the lastest one, followed by Axiology and their first selftitled one. I don\'t know why, but I just thought the first one sounded a bit out of place, that it had maybe too much "hard edged" guitars and just didn\'t have that Thanatopsis sound that the other two albums have. I don\'t know why, but Axiology and Anatomize just sound more "Thanatopsis-esque" if you follow me, what I think they should sound like kind of. My view on Thanatopsis is that they should be a bit more "mellow" if you will, I just dig that sound a whole lot more. They are allowed to record and go in whatever direction they want, of course, but somehow the first album sounded a bit like they hadn\'t "found their sound" yet so to speak.

So, if you ask me, I\'d get Anatomize first, then Axiology followed by Thanatopsis.

Bucketbot1031

I agree with slunker, "Anatomize" is a masterpiece.  It\'s like "Population Override" once you get it, it won\'t leave your cd player for a loooooong time.  From start to finish theres not a song that you want to skip.  Also I think Travis and Ramy really shine on this album.

But it doesn\'t matter cause as long as you buy one eventually you must HAVE THEM ALL!!!! ;D

maxboi

anatomize for me too, but they\'re all pretty good, seriously

T-Man

Start at the beginning, and get them in chronological order, so you can listen to the ways in which the music evolved with each successive release. By the way, the first one is my favorite.

Sljuka

I started with anatomize and worked backwards.   Anatomize is my favorite of the three, but you should own all three anyway.

Boots

QuoteStart at the beginning, and get them in chronological order, so you can listen to the ways in which the music evolved with each successive release. By the way, the first one is my favorite.

I wholeheartedly agree with that. Except, well, my favorite album is Axiology.
Music and Rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul. -Plato

Mozy_Bot

All three Thanatopsis albums as masterpieces.  So is Population Override and Chicken Noodles.  Travis + Bucket usually equals musical magic.  All five of these discs are essential.  It doesn\'t matter where you start, so long as you finish with all five of them.
ISOT #3 DCK #40  Blueprints #5  Cyborg Slunks #31 Painting-2 - #31  
Best Regards # 258

Jordanatron

Thanks, I\'ll start with the first and go in order. I have both population o and noodles. and love them both thats what got me going.
Mr Bocbacoc
ISOT-206 BP-17 DCK-228

Slunker

If you love Population Override and Chicken Noodles (and who doesn\'t?), then Thanatopsis will be right up your alley. I just bought them all a week ago, and all three albums are just amazing to listen to. You won\'t be sorry you ordered them, that\'s for sure.

superslidetail

Hey.  I just bought the first 2 Thanatopsis CD\'s through Amazon and I plan on buying the newest one from this site.  I was wondering how they sounded.  If they sound like population override than i am very excited.  Although I like almost anything BH does.

Jordanatron

March 05, 2007, 11:52:28 pm #14 Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 11:53:40 pm by Breastmeat
How about jazz meets rock and slams right into metal, listening to the first.
Mr Bocbacoc
ISOT-206 BP-17 DCK-228