New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

Viggo "Seventeen Odd Songs" double LP.

Started by Travis, June 27, 2016, 10:23:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Travis

Viggo and I just finished our first venture into the world of vinyl.
This is a compilation of tracks remastered from other releases for vinyl. There is one original track just for this release. Mostly Viggo on solo piano but Buckethead and I play on a few tracks. There are just a few hundred of these pressed and as Viggo likes to do, will probably not be repressed. Just a guess on my part but like "One Less Thing To Worry About" this will probably be a collectors item. Pressed on high quality vinyl, 17 songs, double LP set. More information here: http://travisdickersonmusic.com/shop/#!/Viggo-Mortensen-double-vinyl-LP-Seventeen-Odd-Songs/p/68031187/category=818120.

swooyoo

ordered, thanks.

any chance of any Buckethead t-shirts being restocked? any mediums laying around anywhere? let me know.

Travis

Probably not. The T-shirts we used to have were left overs from tours. I don't think they even made t-shirts for this years tour.

MuldeR

Nice to see a new TDRS release 8)

It has been pretty quite here recently, it seems to me. Travis, are you working an any new material at the moment?

(yes, still hoping for a continuation of "Les filles dans les nuages" or something in that vein ^^)
My free software projects: http://muldersoft.com/

Travis

Yes, I'm always working on something. I do have a handful of projects that I would love to finish and I'm working on some new things as well. The inactivity here is completely related to the death of the CD. Without the revenue from CD sales there is no money to pay for musicians, the studio or the manufacture of hard copies of anything including back catalog. That leaves artists to do the least expensive option for producing music and whatever works in terms of distributing it and not much does. So that has slowed everything. Collaborations means those meager earnings are split to the point of why bother. So it's kind of been every man for themselves. The last CD i released and probably really the "last" CD was Requiem and that probably never will recoup expenses. Viggo continues to release hard copies because he likes to and can. I've enjoyed the vinyl LP process but there is no way it will save the music business. Unlike a lot of my musician and music professional friends, I am still here. I manage keep the doors open but a lot and I mean most of the production studios around me are gone. In the meantime, because it's what I do, I will continue to record and film music, I just don't know what I'm going to do with it.

tigandym

Hey Travis, you know I hate hearing about the current state of the music industry. I just don't understand how those who adopt the "music should be free" theory don't grasp the fact that producing music takes work and that this is how the artist makes a living. As a consumer, I see it all the time where some will proclaim that artist A is just the most awesome performer out there, stating that they are artist A's greatest fans. In the same breath they then ask who is going to upload files to whatever medium they use. At times they'll become belligerent until someone complies with their requests. It's a shame and I guess it's why I may be a little anal about asking the best way to make my purchases. As a someone in the middle class, I realize that my purchases just make a tiny little dent, but I do want the artist to get the most out of my purchase dollars. With Requiem, as you've stated in seeing the numerous free ways to obtain it, people really like the music, yet sales lag. I've appealed to collector side of a number of fans about the rarity of that release. I know a few that have made purchases, but I'm surprised more haven't. If it's frustrating to me, then I can only imagine your frustration. I will continue to promote, and if you can release the total number pressed and the approximate number sold, I'll include that in my appeals. Lastly, I will say as I stated on your FB post, that I'm thrilled with my copy of Seventeen Odd Songs. The music is very nice and it is really the first time I've listened seriously to Viggo. Thanks again.  I do hope that you can hang in there as it would be a sad day in the Mills house if you had to shut down completely. I guess we'd have to bring Don Mclean back to write American Pie 2, a different slant on the day the music died. And yeah I know that someone soon after would be clamoring for a freebie.......

beau810

I love collecting Cd's!  I have always wished music was cheaper so that I could collect more.  I would raid used tape bins when I was a kid and in the process found some of the best music.  Then Cd's were the rave, yeah I still couldn't afford new stuff so it was always used.  I have quite the collection still today but I could have more... plenty of holes.  Now that music has become a black market commodity, I have been able to fill those holes.  I do however fix those Spackled holes with the real thing, but as I have been saying it's expensive. Now I really like what Buckethead and other artists are doing with Bandcamp.  I know the money is going straight to them and the prices are great.  I just bought like 9 records off of Kevin Hufnagel, was able to say thank you and got a reply (very much like you Travis.)  I just wish people would stop "producing" music and actually look for talent again, you know serious talent... the music should sell itself.  I play in a band...  Its sad to say that we will never make it no matter how talented we are... unless, we play the game.  You know what I'm saying.  Its just sad that there is this wall of music that is pushed to the public and just about impossible to climb as a musician unless you look, dance, and sing like the wall.  It used to be... we cant make it unless we can "sound" like Yes.  Sorry for the rant... Support underground music!
Support underground music!!!

Travis

All said i do think this will all get worked out. This is a transition period. I don't blame the downloader anymore than taking fruit off a tree thats out in public or even not so public. It's human nature. I blame the service providers and the lack of repect for intellectual property, actually not respect but consequences with teeth. It will be up to congress to address the problems of copyright issues that addressed the circumstances of decades ago. Then i think it will be a matter of ISPs being responsible for content that passes through their pipeline and streaming services paying a fair share to the creators of their content.

EHughes528

Travis - how many copies of  "Seventeen Odd Songs" were pressed on vinyl?

I'd like to post about it on SlyVinyl.com get it some more attention. : )

Travis

I don't know for sure, Perceval Press did the pressing but I would think 500 or less.

Slaw_Slinger