Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

VOTE BUCKETHEAD!

Started by DroidHunter13, July 05, 2012, 06:41:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tropicalrooster

Just did, thanks for the notifiction!

Maxen

Looks like Bucket's not gonna make it.Crap.

tropicalrooster

Polls are so overrated in the first place, and it came from a mainstream magazine such as GW, that compounds the artificial effects and propels the result to several levels.

Tempbucketdog

July 06, 2012, 12:00:09 pm #4 Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 03:18:05 pm by Tempbucketdog
He went up against John Petrucci.... From a musical standpoint...I felt compelled to vote for John. He's just amazing and his work with dream theater is mind blowing. Most of John's solos differ from one another and he is consistent with the arrangements live. B only has one or two major stand-out solos (that he can play live consistently, I go by live performances when I vote these things) and the rest are usually just the same/similar improvisation. Sorry B  :'( I still love ya and have a tremendous amount of respect for your metal song writing ability. The improv is getting a bit stale and I'd love to hear some new licks :)

Tempbucketdog

I just wanted to add that inbred mountain is the best instrumental metal record of all time. I would personally give one of my limbs to buckethead if he played the whole album live note-for-note. I still get chills when I listen to it....... So f**king good!

Maxen

I completely agree with you Tempbucketdog!  Nothing beats Inbred Mountain.

Musicdude

John Petrucci has the soul of a thumbtack his playing is stock. I voted for Buckethead... To bad he lost this popularity contest.

Tempbucketdog

I don't look at it as a popularity contest. Buckethead's top videos on YouTube have millions of hits. So people know who he is.....

Thumbtack personality or not. John is a world class musician, plays extremely complex pieces of music and is consistent LIVE.  Bucket tends to noodle live these days. Hell even that EMO tard syn gates plays his solos consistent with the album recordings! I hate syn gates btw.

When I hear an album, I'm excited to see it done live. Bucket does not deliver. His shows are fun and I love seeing him, but after the first 45 mins I tend to get bored. I've been to 3 shows. Maybe if I wasn't a guitarist myself I wouldn't notice it as much.... My buddies that are musicians that I brought to 2 of his shows had the same vibe and passed on the third show.

When I saw dream theater my mind was blown from start to finish. 20 minute long intricate songs played perfectly. Jordan Rudess is amazing to watch at those shows as well.

Bucket is very special to me nevertheless an I cherish a lot of his work. But after listening to him for 6-7 years, seeing him live and after watching hundreds of his videos on YouTube. He just can't compete with most of the virtuosos out there. Not that its a competition or anything... Even given all of that I am still a fan and I will continue to buy albums and support him. The persona, the mystery and his unique metal writing ability all still has me intrigued. Still damn proud to be a bot! But I give respect where respect is due. That's why I voted for John...

beau810

I see a major difference between the 2... and that major difference is volume!  Buckethead would win because of the shear amount of music he puts out (good and poor) and the fact that he plays in multiple different genres. 

Looking at ability or technicality,well, they are just too close to judge.

Looking for playing the exact thing live would easily go to John, but in my eyes Bucket can do that... if he wanted to devote his time to playing the same thing over and over again. 

Use of effects would go to Buckethead as well.

I think that Buckethead has more emotional solos too!

If you haven't guessed I'm a little partial to Buckethead in this comparison.
Support underground music!!!

Tempbucketdog

Quote from: beau810 on July 09, 2012, 05:02:29 pm

Looking for playing the exact thing live would easily go to John, but in my eyes Bucket can do that... if he wanted to devote his time to playing the same thing over and over again. 

I believe the general vibe here is that people want a NEW setlist (for years now). soothsayer is not even close to the studio version. It's basically just improv... I could go on....

But I don't really want to debate with you or anyone for that matter. I still enjoy bucket for what he does.  He will just simply not be in my top 5 of greatest guitarists. And that's my problem, no one else's. It kinda sucks when you're exposed to so much and can do so much yourself on an insturment that it kinda takes the magic away form certain performers...

Musicdude

July 09, 2012, 08:43:21 pm #11 Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 09:13:19 pm by Musicdude
If i wanted to hear the studio version of "Soothsayer I would put in the "Crime slunk scene CD.

I like the fact Buckethead changes things up a bit and can solo in any key for as long as he wants. He is and always will be the "Jimi Hendrix of shred guitar imo. He plays with heart/soul....it's not some lame repeat from the record. it's spontaneous and creative.

I do agree he should mix the setlist up a bit. But i can guarantee the first time that he doesn't play "Soothsayer or "Night of the slunk the same people will complain that he didn't.

I couldn't listen to John Petrucci for over 10 minutes without being completely bored out of my mind and the fact that someone even brought up "Sny Gates loses all credibility with me. Both these guys are "stock" wankers imo.... sorry :)

Tempbucketdog

No need to say sorry, fellow bot. If that's how ya feel then good for you, we both appreciate big-b on different levels, enjoy the experience in our own way and that's what is important.  I have zero animosity towards him, I just tend to criticize his soloing sometimes... Aside from his soloing I think he is a pure genius. And I LOVE his metal style!!!

The only guitarists I will never criticize/question are Shawn Lane, Guthrie Govan and Andres Segovia. They are absolute masters of the instrument... In my opinion of course. And to round off my top 5 I will add Nuno Bettencourt and Steve Morse. Buckethead falls in there shortly there after :)

Cheers

beau810

That's the beauty of art... it's in the eye of the beholder. 

I personally want Buckethead off the road and I have said that before.  My reasoning is that I would rather him spend his time more on song writing instead of improv all the time.  I understand that the money is in live performances but in a perfect world good ol Buckethead wouldn't need to. 

But that's me... thinking differently again.

Support underground music!!!

Tempbucketdog

^^ 100% agreed

Bucket may not be in my personal top 5. But he's the coolest, strangest and most intriguing musician I am a fan of  :) that's why I keep coming back.

Although, I wonder if he'll ever play as "himself" and not buckethead? That would be an interesting chapter in this story... A chapter I wouldn't mind indulging in.