Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

Recordings From Boogie Hotel

Started by eggman90, March 11, 2009, 02:52:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

eggman90

March 11, 2009, 02:52:47 pm Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 06:12:27 pm by eggman90
Greetings all. I was actually a musician playing out in bars and clubs many moons ago in the NY City metro area in the 80s. My band recorded a bunch of tunes at a place called Boogie Hotel, the same one named after a Foghat album. We got to meet some cool musicians there (remember John Waite?). Other bands that recorded there were: Zebra, Blue Oyster Cult, Honeymoon Suite (remember "New Girl Now"?) and many more. The mixing board used for the recording was a 48 track Neve I think it was, recently transported from the Hit Factory in NYC. John Lennon recorded Double Fantasy on this board!

We are still trying to get the original reel-to-reel tapes converted. This is direct from cassette to PC in WMA format. There is even a bonus video introduction! Some glitches and tape dropouts as can be expected, but here they are for your listening displeasure. I tried to post photobucket links to pics of the recording sessions, but for some reason they don\'t work. Thanks very much.

http://www.esnips.com/web/BoogieHotelRecordingCirca1986

ella_mental

QuoteGreetings all. I was actually a musician playing out in bars and clubs many moons ago in the NY City metro area in the 80s. My band recorded a bunch of tunes at a place called Boogie Hotel, the same one named after a Foghat album. We got to meet some cool musicians there (remember John Waite?). Other bands that recorded there were: Zebra, Blue Oyster Cult, Honeymoon Suite (remember "New Girl Now"?) and many more. The mixing board used for the recording was a 48 track Neve I think it was, recently transported from the Hit Factory in NYC. John Lennon recorded Double Fantasy on this board!

We are still trying to get the original reel-to-reel tapes converted. This is direct from cassette to PC in WMA format. There is even a bonus video introduction! Some glitches and tape dropouts as can be expected, but here they are for your listening displeasure. I tried to post photobucket links to pics of the recording sessions, but for some reason they don\'t work. Thanks very much.

http://www.esnips.com/web/BoogieHotelRecordingCirca1986

Thanks for sharing that.  I\'m really glad the John Lennon thing happened for you as well.

eggman90

Thanks Ella. Would be interested in knowing what you or anyone thinks if you have trouble sleeping any nights. Guaranteed to help,unless you were a fan of Ratt or Poison. My work was oddball in this band, but the pop-metal gave me entre into to larger audiences (regionally) at the time.
Thanks again.

Duckhead

totally took me back to the 80\'s...

Don\'t walk away gave me the haunting vision of guys with wild hair wearing tight leather pants. That song must have been for the chicks

Taking Control, Stay With Me and Hold Me were pretty good, sounded like stuff you might have heard on the radio or seen on MTV back then

the intro of Out go the Lights had a "the Alarm" sound to it but I couldn\'t get much further into that tune.

would be great if you had some old video

eggman90

Quotetotally took me back to the 80\'s...

Don\'t walk away gave me the haunting vision of guys with wild hair wearing tight leather pants. That song must have been for the chicks

Taking Control, Stay With Me and Hold Me were pretty good, sounded like stuff you might have heard on the radio or seen on MTV back then

the intro of Out go the Lights had a "the Alarm" sound to it but I couldn\'t get much further into that tune.

would be great if you had some old video

Duckman-

Really appreciate the input! I wrote Out Go The Lights after I saw an old public service commercial from the 60s where a little girl sees a nuclear blast with her own eyes-you see the mushroom cloud reflection in her pupil. Hence \'the light in my eyes" and "out go the lights" lyrics. If you check into that tune and listen all the way through there is a dramatic buildup in the end, with massive vocal overlays. I envisioned that song as a movie soundtrack about nuclear war or espionage as CIA agents lead the world into armegaddon with misinformation.

Sincerely, I really do appreciate the time you put into listening, thanks again.

ella_mental

I definatley heard frizzy hair.  I\'m no expert, really.  A few times I found myself thinking that I\'d like to hear more bassy sounds.

"Taking Control" and "Don\'t Walk Away" are the two I like best.

Duckhead

Duckman-

Really appreciate the input! I wrote Out Go The Lights after I saw an old public service commercial from the 60s where a little girl sees a nuclear blast with her own eyes-you see the mushroom cloud reflection in her pupil. Hence \'the light in my eyes" and "out go the lights" lyrics. If you check into that tune and listen all the way through there is a dramatic buildup in the end, with massive vocal overlays. I envisioned that song as a movie soundtrack about nuclear war or espionage as CIA agents lead the world into armegaddon with misinformation.

Sincerely, I really do appreciate the time you put into listening, thanks again.
OK so I gave it another listen and now knowing some of the history to that song, I found it much more enjoyable. The intro drumming sounds a bit more like Big Country than the Alarm, I was more into new wave than hard rock back then. Still it is a little slow for my taste, I think it would sound better played  faster (imo) especially given the nuclear war aspects.

My favorite song is Hold Me (I would actually upld that to my ipod, lmk when you get the reels converted) and the instrumental in the middle of Taking Control is good stuff!!

Thanks again for sharing, do you have pics of the band at that session? Would be cool to see.

eggman90

OK so I gave it another listen and now knowing some of the history to that song, I found it much more enjoyable. The intro drumming sounds a bit more like Big Country than the Alarm, I was more into new wave than hard rock back then. Still it is a little slow for my taste, I think it would sound better played  faster (imo) especially given the nuclear war aspects.

My favorite song is Hold Me (I would actually upld that to my ipod, lmk when you get the reels converted) and the instrumental in the middle of Taking Control is good stuff!!

Thanks again for sharing, do you have pics of the band at that session? Would be cool to see.

I wrote the guitar riff in Taking Control for the choruses.

Here\'s a link to the pics, some band pics from playing the clubs as well. This was my pre-beard era, we looked like a pop band with little jackets-hilarious ( we could have used an image consultant fo sho!). Probably more than you\'ll ever want to see, but here\'s the link:

http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n277/eggman90_2006/The%20Break/

Chris DiCicco

March 17, 2009, 08:01:47 am #8 Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 08:04:03 am by Chris
Yo fellow Bass Player what up... digging on the boogie, will bookmark for later.

I don\'t have anything current but my rig consists of a heavily modified Fernandez Tremor 5 string and a Squire Vintage Mod 5 string Jazz Bass into a Hartke A-70, about 15 or so effects as well as the creator of the
Spoon Bassing technique,I wrote about here alllloooonnnnggggg time ago.

Chris DiCicco
The Exosphere  2013

eggman90

QuoteYo fellow Bass Player what up... digging on the boogie, will bookmark for later.

I don\'t have anything current but my rig consists of a heavily modified Fernandez Tremor 5 string and a Squire Vintage Mod 5 string Jazz Bass into a Hartke A-70, about 15 or so effects as well as the creator of the
Spoon Bassing technique,I wrote about here alllloooonnnnggggg time ago.

Chris DiCicco

Nice setup! I have a Fender Precision butterscotch color with maple neck (interestingly enough, I think Dan Monti has the same one), running through a Galien-Kruger 800RB bass amp with 2 cabinets. It\'s bi-amped, one cabinet has 4x10 speakers and one with a 15". It actually sounds perfect to my ears-it\'s the ultimate rig. The guys at GK can\'t believe the serial number on it-it\'s 4 digits!

On these recordings, I played 2 guitars, a watermelon color BC Rich Mockingbird, and a sunburst Ibanez Les Paul "lawsuit" guitar through a whole bunch of Marshalls mic\'d a buch of different ways in concrete and hardwood floor rooms.

You can do that in your den now on a PC. :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(