New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

Crisis in American Schools!!!

Started by gkg, January 31, 2005, 07:14:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gkg

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=519&e=4&u=/ap/20050131/ap_on_re_us/students_first_amendment

the majority of our students don\'t fully understand the first amendment nor the implications and impacts of censorship!!  some actually think the first amendment "goes too far" - how have we lost their attention?  how do we get them to see the broader horizon???
Peace.

image = <i>"Blue Velvet"</i> (front of 2-sided piece) (c) georgia k griffin - all rights reserved

spencer

Schools teach what the government wants them to know, they don\'t go into details about the fact that you can put beheading videos on the internet (a global connector, which makes it ridiculous to think that the US government can restrict stuff) without persecution.

However, isn\'t it illegal to own snuff movies (what the beheading video essentially is) or other indecent materials?  that\'s rather confusing.

Either way, it\'s not like the schools are gonna say "you can hate the government kids, go ahead and burn these flags if you want to."  Cuz the government pays them.  Most kids figure it out on their own though.

gkg

ah - but some teachers did do exactly that - they taught "current affairs" and "social studies" classes along with government classes and explained in real time ways how the Bill of Rights was guiding peoples\' protests and what rights were being abused and why.

yes it\'s illegal in this country to own a snuff film - but you\'re talking about a terrorist group in another part of the world, so we don\'t have jurisiction over them.  although, we are certainly trying to.  hoping kids trip on facts is not the way to keep kids on the bright path to intellectual fruition.  to me that\'s like saying there\'s no point in teaching about birth control because kids will find out by trial and error what does and doesn\'t work.

oh, wait, that\'s what they want us to believe!!

you are a very bright young man Spencer - maybe you can shine some light for your classmates?

the government is, supposedly, by and for the people.  therefore, we pay the education systems that pay the teachers, therefore, they should be educating our children with all the facts on the Bill of Rights, with relevant information about the import of this document in today\'s society.
Peace.

image = <i>"Blue Velvet"</i> (front of 2-sided piece) (c) georgia k griffin - all rights reserved

spencer

Quoteyou are a very bright young man Spencer - maybe you can shine some light for your classmates?

Funny you should mention that, cuz i\'m the least politically active in the classes/school i go to.

gkg

hehehehe - i\'m working on correcting that little lapse.   :-*

you have a lot to share and learn.  the best way to learn things is to become involved in them.  the earlier you develop your knowledge, the better able you will be to make decisions on elections and on what you want to donate and lend your personal support to.  go slow, you\'re still in school, take your time, develop your knowledge base... you never you know, you could grow in all sorts of directions.
Peace.