New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

repress out of stock CD\'s

Started by Travis, April 22, 2011, 05:20:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

spiketacular

Full 24 bit masters and art work on a USB thumb drive would be awesome.

I\'d prefer a standard CD over 16 bit lossless downloads though, but whatever is easiest.

Bucketfel

How about, disc only ( a pressed CD) , like Netfix. You print the cover and supply the box. Or just disc and printed goods, you supply the box.

I dont wanna bother you Travis any more that i usually do, but the idea of the disk and the printed goods could be good because i really dont want to just print the cover by myself (there is a lot of room for error in that department). But if you are serisouly considering that, why not make it like Spinal Clock kind of format. After all, Buckethead does not release booklets.

Also, my original intention is to get the first edition version. So i wouldnt mind waiting half an eternity for another 100 people (or x nomber of people, i really dont know) to buy a pre order without any time frame.

I would really like the original version, and maybe he could do a tour-only repress ;D that would be too funny.
He works on the farm,
He makes fun of me,
But thats the lats thing youll see,
Cuz im gone use him for something that you wont understand

Spinal Clock #199
Holiday Album

Yakuza

The only problem I see with using on demand CD-Rs is the lifespan of the disc is much shorter than a regular pressed CD.

I don\'t have Shadows Between the Sky yet and I\'d like to have a chance to procure it, in whatever method that may be. Ultimately it\'s about the music, not the packaging, for me at least.

Yakuza

Also, supplying the 24 bit masters sounds pretty enticing.
If you\'re not going to be using the CD medium, then why bother to restrict the bit depth?

DroidHunter13

I dont wanna bother you Travis any more that i usually do, but the idea of the disk and the printed goods could be good because i really dont want to just print the cover by myself (there is a lot of room for error in that department). But if you are serisouly considering that, why not make it like Spinal Clock kind of format. After all, Buckethead does not release booklets.

Also, my original intention is to get the first edition version. So i wouldnt mind waiting half an eternity for another 100 people (or x nomber of people, i really dont know) to buy a pre order without any time frame.

I would really like the original version, and maybe he could do a tour-only repress ;D that would be too funny.
Thats my intetention, too. I do like the ideas of seeing those albums repressed in digipaks or CD jackets, but I personally prefer the original jewel case... Although I probably wouldn\'t care if the CD was repressed in its original casing or not if I actually owned the album. I still need Shadows, and Id prefer the original version
  ::)

Travis

Well, how about the regular printed goods that came with the original CD and a CDR no lable, for $10. Make a back up copy of the CDR if your concerned about it\'s longevity. You supply the jewel case. When a regular CD is pressed we offer it for a discount or just the disc for even less.

What we are really talking about is the future delivery system of music. I think the CD is on it\'s last legs. CD\'s seem to be for those that want to collect something tangible as a fan (thank you) because 10 to 1 most music is gotten as a download for free. This is just the start of a bigger topic.

fuzzface

QuoteThe only problem I see with using on demand CD-Rs is the lifespan of the disc is much shorter than a regular pressed CD.

That is true, BUT I haven\'t seen any recent numbers to show the difference.  I still think we\'re in the "who knows" phase.  Cd-rs have come a long way since the days of blue/green/or yellow dyes.  And, the on-demand companies are hopefully using more pro equipment than the average home user is using.
I honestly seriously doubt modern on-demand cd-rs will expire inside of 20-30 years.

Having read all of the suggestions and Travis\' comments I see on-demand as the only legitimate way any repress is going to happen.  Of course, once you get the physical cd, you can always burn back-ups or digitally store back-ups on a hard drive.  To be honest, the whole cd-r thing does not frighten me much anymore.

I for one, am one of the peeps that still LIKE packaging and don\'t care one bit for the transition to (mostly mp3) digital music delivery.  CD-quality audio at a minimum.  I CARE about how the music sounds.  :)

robotpie3000

QuoteWell, how about the regular printed goods that came with the original CD and a CDR no lable, for $10. Make a back up copy of the CDR if your concerned about it\'s longevity. You supply the jewel case. When a regular CD is pressed we offer it for a discount or just the disc for even less.

What we are really talking about is the future delivery system of music. I think the CD is on it\'s last legs. CD\'s seem to be for those that want to collect something tangible as a fan (thank you) because 10 to 1 most music is gotten as a download for free. This is just the start of a bigger topic.

i pretty much just buy the CD and stick em into iTunes so that I can get the full physical CD with artwork and an electronical version so its good for me.

stumpdangler

I think that if I didn\'t already have a particular cd, I would be content with an on demand cdr with the printed artwork. I rarely play the cds themselves these days as much as catalogue them digitally. 24 bit would rock.

Raw Ketchup

Being 100% honest here, if the CDs were only available in digital format/CD-R, I would just download them for free and make my own copies. I\'d be more likely to buy an overpriced copy on Amazon than a jank one from TDRS.

Travis

Cool. I guess I\'ll retire and take up gardening.

Trev_dog

Ouch things are getting fierce in this thread. Lets all just take a deep breath and realize that if Travis cant meet our every need like he usually does that we will be okay.

Bucketfel

QuoteCool. I guess I\'ll retire and take up gardening.

hahaha. I do think that small labels exist because of the hardcore fans. They are the only ones that end up buying physical copies of the albums anyways.

And sadly, i cant think of any other ideas to help which is bad because i really would like to see them represed. And as far as the distribution of music goes, i think that the releasing of digital copies is sufficient enough.

In any case, for future releases, maybe releasing it online and hold a pre order without time frame untill you reach a certain number of people. And that way maybe Travis can save pennies when pressing albums that end up beign less popular that expected (FF/NIASS)
He works on the farm,
He makes fun of me,
But thats the lats thing youll see,
Cuz im gone use him for something that you wont understand

Spinal Clock #199
Holiday Album

Phydeaux_3

April 29, 2011, 11:27:54 am #58 Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 11:28:09 am by Phydeaux_3
QuoteCool. I guess I\'ll retire and take up gardening.

That would be the saddest day in the World.

I sure hope that there\'s some kind of middle ground... I know that I do my best to buy CD\'s as often as I can but then I\'m only 1 bot. I sure do like the download idea though, I was listening to Eo\'s within hours of learning of it\'s existence, via iTunes. TDRS would have gotten my money if it was tdrsTunes, know what I mean?

I\'ve had $20 in my paypal acct. since February waiting for the non-le Happy Holidays, but I suppose that if another new CD comes out before then I\'d be forced to divert funds.

Also, just let me say, that whole Happy Holidays CD idea was THE coolest thing ever in the history of the universe. I cherish mine. Best collectable ever!
smooches,
» Phy³ . . .

stumpdangler

I guess I\'ll have to look up the definition of "jank." If  it means "Hey thanks for thinking of fans that missed out on the initial pressing of [insert cd title here] that is currently out of print so we can enjoy a legitimate artist rendered cd copy at a reasonable price" I would have to say that TDRS would be the "jankest." Otherwise that\'s pretty foul, dude.

I don\'t think this is about all future new releases or all repressings in general, just a few titles that have recently picked up some interest that are currently out of stock.