New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

Buckethead In A Band Scenario?

Started by eggman90, October 20, 2009, 08:43:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

eggman90

QuoteI\'m 50/50 on the situation. Buckethead is a mastermind musician and has indeed realized that only he can make his music sound just the way he likes it. I\'m guessing he got tired of Brain and Pinchface "doing their own thing" style drumming instead of the way Bucket wants it to sound.

Live, I\'ll take any real drummer right now, as would I\'m guessing 75% of his fans in the US, who have been lucky enough to see him. Also a real bass player, not a single-stringed pipe or tuba player. Those are nice novelties, nothing more.

If people insist on bringing up past "bands" I would choose Giant Robot over any of them.

bburnett

QuoteI\'m 50/50 on the situation. Buckethead is a mastermind musician and has indeed realized that only he can make his music sound just the way he likes it. I\'m guessing he got tired of Brain and Pinchface "doing their own thing" style drumming instead of the way Bucket wants it to sound.

I do agree though, it would be nice to see him play with other members but hey, maybe he\'ll employ some animatronic members and a few bucketbots. :)

"doing their own thing" ::) ::)

Who do you think the original drummers AND composers  were for all his previous albums/CD\'s?

Humans make mistakes, samplers and drum machines do not. It cost a lot more money to tour with humans than to haul around an iPod.

Its a matter of economics. Do the math.

BB
Scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

eggman90

^^Live, I\'ll take the mistakes over pre-recorded tracks any day.

Gimme real drum heads, high-hats, and bass pedals. I want string noise, amps, human interaction. Bass guitar bottom in my chest.

The studio can be perfect, I don\'t need perfection live. Why should B show up at all? Maybe he can just broadcast holographic images of himself playing to pre-recorded tracks. If he ever reads this he\'ll probably be pissed, but I\'m just giving my opinion as both a fan and musician. If I didn\'t care at all I wouldn\'t post any of these comments.

But I do.

As far as paying musicians, I\'ll bet there are plenty that would play with B for free-me included. If he ever wanted a backup band for a gig in NY I could set up my buds (who are excellent musicians) in a heartbeat. Learn the songs in advance, then show up and rehearse them somewhere-been doing that for years.

K-FLO

Well they never officially broke up. Bob and Pinch have regular day jobs too, kids, wives, girlfriends, etc...

bob with a wife and kids?!?! i can\'t imagine that for some reason, haha!

^^and Giant Robot was definitively on of the best band set-ups BB every had
Y, Y+B, X+Y <hold> ←

"I just can't take no pleasure in killing. There's just some things you gotta do. Don't mean you have to like it."

http://www.grandin.com/restrain/new.conv.rest.html

stumpdangler

Quote^^Live, I\'ll take the mistakes over pre-recorded tracks any day.

Gimme real drum heads, high-hats, and bass pedals. I want string noise, amps, human interaction. Bass guitar bottom in my chest.

The studio can be perfect, I don\'t need perfection live. Why should B show up at all? Maybe he can just broadcast holographic images of himself playing to pre-recorded tracks. If he ever reads this he\'ll probably be pissed, but I\'m just giving my opinion as both a fan and musician. If I didn\'t care at all I wouldn\'t post any of these comments.

But I do.

As far as paying musicians, I\'ll bet there are plenty that would play with B for free-me included. If he ever wanted a backup band for a gig in NY I could set up my buds (who are excellent musicians) in a heartbeat. Learn the songs in advance, then show up and rehearse them somewhere-been doing that for years.

So I guess you\'ve found your dream band

Anyway, playing with a pick up band on a tour from town to town is pretty ridiculous. That is a trainwreck waiting to happen. That is the way Chuck Berry used to tour, though. Most people can tell that BH\'s tunes are more varied...

eggman90

^^True, I was just making a point that paying musicians for a gig shouldn\'t be a roadblock for B.

D

Personally I wont be seeing more than 1 bucket show if he tours again with an ipod..

If he tours with a band, I would try and see all that I can afford.

I had a chat with brain last winter.. and it appears he doesnt really know whats going on in buckets life.. nothing personal, but the things he told me, and was quite sure of.. didnt turn out to happen.. who knows what actually happened.. but theyre musicians.. who knows whats going to happen when.        give up on speculation..

Id say if bucket wants to work with someone and do a project let him, why is it someones business to set something up FOR him?.. in my opinion fans have no business trying to put together a project for him, thats just plain disrespectful.

I\'m ready for the deli to open damn it!!
Consideration and Intelligence have followed the passenger pigeon

That tiny net was sure-fire master!
Master: Yes, a tiny net is a death sentence, it's a net and it's tiny!

1000true

Completely agree. The shows I have seen with a band are my favorites. I did enjoy the loops and samples for a few shows, but I am also ready to see a band again. I mean can you truly sample or loop a Zeppelin medly!?

stumpdangler

Quote^^True, I was just making a point that paying musicians for a gig shouldn\'t be a roadblock for B.

I would say, with all due respect, that musicians shouldn\'t have to play for free. And any roadblocks would be the logistics and red tape of screening potential pick up band participants in those prospective towns. That alone would be a mind-numbing endeavor. It does make the hologram idea look more appealing, though.

And further, if Buckethead could put together a kick ass touring band at this time I think he would. Some people seem to be oblivious to that notion. A few people on this thread seem to realize that Buckethead is an independent artist and makes an effort to put together a package that entertains, remains unique and hopefully can turn a profit. I always give the opening acts and co-stars creedence when Buckethead takes them on tour especially That 1 Guy and Wolff. You may quibble with current offerings but when you look at Buckethead\'s body of work there are PLENTY of "bands" in the mix that have recorded and toured or at least played regularly in certain locales.

I remember not so long ago people whining and complaining about Pinchface\'s onstage antics, and/or the band not being up to the material that the fans wanted to hear (using an ipod when they leave the stage while Buckethead plays on). I can think of very few artists of Buckethead\'s caliber that remain independent and are able to tour as much as he has. I feel blessed to be able to check out a show of his whenever I can, wherever I can (4 different states), with whomever he is (or isn\'t) sharing the bill with.

beau810

Buckethead needs a band!  Alone he does well but with others he is fantastic.  Live or recorded!

I love that fact that he works with so many different people.  It keeps it fresh and new.  With as much work as he puts into a year, it needs to be fresh and new.  Im sure that part is very difficult to do.

I would just like to hear him with established musicians... dont really care who, just something that can be reproduced live.

As many know Buckethead plays a couple hours live.  Wouldnt it be easy to book a show with Buckethead doing his solo material with an Ipod and the band he is working with.  He could easily handle that much time on stage.  Each act could get paid, so Buckethead could make the money he is used to making.

Oh ya... the band I would like to see reproduced with a new recording would have to be El Stew.   I still havent heard anything quite like it.  To me it sounds futuristic, which is very cool.  EXTRACT RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!  So I guess that I would like to hear Buckethead with EXTRACT again with El Stew or not!

Support underground music!!!

eggman90

I\'m not telling Buckethead what to do, or arrange anything-I\'m not delusional. Just some interesting discussion on our favorite musician.  Better than the sound of crickets chirping on the boards here.....

stumpdangler

QuoteI\'m not telling Buckethead what to do, or arrange anything-I\'m not delusional. Just some interesting discussion on our favorite musician.  Better than the sound of crickets chirping on the boards here.....

Fair enough, really. Nothing wrong with a spirited discussion and I understand the Buckethead fan\'s enthusiasm because I am one. The sky is the limit to the imagination and that is what I understand Bucketheadland to be about.

This forum is great because it seems to draw  more music fans and less of the hype oriented mtv type stuff.  

Phydeaux_3

November 10, 2009, 10:21:56 am #42 Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 12:27:17 pm by Phydeaux_3

This forum is great because it seems to draw  more music fans and less of the hype oriented mtv type stuff.  

I\'ll agree with that, it seems to me at least that Buckethead fans are a really open-minded bunch of folks, I mean honestly how could you not be, right? Also, I see a lot of Zappa fans gravitating towards Bucketheadland as well, which is proof positive that much like Frank (& his fans) Buckethead\'s fans don\'t take themselves TOO seriously. They just see (& hear) good music and the humor that belongs there too. That\'s why PRIMUS & Big B always went so well together.

And another thing, which I almost forgot, while I was poking around the Les Paul forum I could not believe how many "smart" guitar players & fans just couldn\'t get past the bucket & schtick, you would think that the music would be all that mattered but a lot of those guys just won\'t open their minds to it at all. They were all like "c\'mon.. I mean the guy wears a bucket on his head". Oh well, their loss. I pity the fools.

I feel right at home in this community.

Home sweet twisted home.

I love you guys...
(in my bestest Cartman voice!)

smooches,
 » Phy³ . . .
smooches,
» Phy³ . . .

Diatonic_mealworm

November 11, 2009, 01:09:20 am #43 Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 01:15:04 am by Diatonic_mealworm
And another thing, which I almost forgot, while I was poking around the Les Paul forum I could not believe how many "smart" guitar players & fans just couldn\'t get past the bucket & schtick, you would think that the music would be all that mattered but a lot of those guys just won\'t open their minds to it at all. They were all like "c\'mon.. I mean the guy wears a bucket on his head". Oh well, their loss. I pity the fools. END QUOTE"

I pity da fools as well :)
Buckethead is the main reason why I play guitar. Shallow minded people like the ones you mention above bother me a lot. You could say the same thing about the so called cliche guitar players out there. I\'m not into bell bottoms or gay looking leather pants like Steve Vai wears...I mean come on! the guy has a fan blowing his hair back when he plays a guitar solo...haha! Ultra gay!

Anyway Bucket is a huge inspiration to me  and if he ever fell victim and listened to all the idiots out there..he would be a let down like Kiss was when they took off the make-up, sure they were still Kiss, but the magic behind the music was gone. Btw i dont like Kiss anymore they died to me after Dressed to KiLL, so please dont give me shit about them:)

First three questions to possible new friends are:
1. Do you like Buckethead?
2. Do you like Kids in the Hall
3. How about Monty Python?...a answer of no to any of the above and chances are we wont get along at all  >:(

bTW--I met Bill Mosley this weekend at Crypticon in MN any Cornbug Fans here?...I felt weird because almost every question i asked him was about Buckethead..
Fron son of lon.

stumpdangler

In my experience, most people that don\'t like Buckethead\'s mask or bucket probably aren\'t into or have a low tolerance for metal, horror movies, or the darker subject matter that pops up from time to time. For example, the general public probably wouldn\'t play a Deli Creeps album for their parents...

So they see what they see, hear what they hear, and draw their own conclusions.