New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

Music Theory?

Started by ilikeheadcheese, January 17, 2009, 08:05:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ilikeheadcheese

Can anyone give me an idea of finding a really good music theory book? i\'ve been playing for about 4-5 years now and i\'ve only had a few lessons. i only know a handful of scales and chords so this is somewhat limiting my music. and i also haven\'t read any music theory so i figured it\'s about time to. I just wanna know what you\'re opinions are and maybe you guys can push me in the right direction in some really good books

any help is greatly appreciated  ;)
ISOT #921
Cyborg Slunks #397
Blueprints #405
Metatron Body Bag ed.
Painting 5 #96
Best Regards #298
Spinal Clock #349
BHL
DOTR
I Need 5 Minutes Alone
SOTS
painting 213
Greeting Card CD

nuff_said

Truth:  it's OK if they don't understand.  if you follow it, stay true to it, and respect it, you could be in store for the greatest journey you could ever imagine.

Chris DiCicco

my buddy has the idiots guide to thoery, i had a dummies book on bass playing (not fishing or phishing .... mike gordon phans what up ha ha ha ha)

idiot tree climbing is my future.

DIG
The Exosphere  2013

ilikeheadcheese

i think i\'m gonna try out the Slonimsky one cuz my friend showed me some cool things from that book.

EDIT: i forgot i can\'t read sheet music  :\'( :\'( >:( would i be able to put it into tuxguitar and have that music notes in then have it tab it out?
ISOT #921
Cyborg Slunks #397
Blueprints #405
Metatron Body Bag ed.
Painting 5 #96
Best Regards #298
Spinal Clock #349
BHL
DOTR
I Need 5 Minutes Alone
SOTS
painting 213
Greeting Card CD

koop

February 23, 2009, 03:22:17 am #4 Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 03:22:45 am by koop
Did you find a good book that worked for you? If you did I\'d like to know which one.
I took a music theory class, it was really nice, i miss it though...
I\'d suggest trying to take a class somewhere if you really wanna learn theory. it\'s easier to understand when someones giving you direction and can explain it differently.
A crucial step to learning music theory:
Learn to read music.
It isn\'t too hard and I am surprised so many people don\'t know how to. have fun

polishbucket

The Music Lesson by Victor L. Wooten
A different way of looking at theory and how to approach Music.