Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

RIP Jane Jacobs

Started by gkg, April 25, 2006, 07:44:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gkg

Peace.

image = <i>"Blue Velvet"</i> (front of 2-sided piece) (c) georgia k griffin - all rights reserved

SantaStef

Thanks for sharing this news....a true leader...and her legacy will live on.

I support her thinking and am pleased these priorities are practiced.

"Her priorities were for integrated, manageable communities, for diversity of people, transportation, architecture and commerce. She also believed that economies need to be self-sustaining and self-renewing, relying on local initiative instead of centralized bureaucracies."

These days it is difficult to manage cities and city centres because of globalization.  We need more leaders who will bring forth renewable, self-sustaining resources to overcome dependencies on other areas.

One concept I\'m learning more about is the idea of co-ops.  By having a large group of people or organizations offering different resources to each other, we not only support each other operations and families, but build self-sustaining communities.

That\'s just my two cents....

Cheers,
Stef

gkg

that is a wonderful take on the concept of co-ops and i believe the original true intent, but unfortunately in practice many co-op boards in buildings have been using them for the opposite purpose over the years, to keep the buildings exclusive.  just shows yet again that anything can be exploited for the gain of a few if so desired.  they have the potential to accomplish much good as we try to house more and more people on diminishing soil.

Ms Jacobs was a wise and insightful fighter, and she will be sorely missed.
Peace.

image = <i>"Blue Velvet"</i> (front of 2-sided piece) (c) georgia k griffin - all rights reserved