New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

repress out of stock CD\'s

Started by Travis, April 22, 2011, 05:20:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucketdog

April 29, 2011, 03:33:49 pm #60 Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 04:01:28 pm by Bucketdog
Interesting thread! I love gardening, Travis! I have quite the green thumb too ;D

I don\'t see buckethead making these items in a LE format. That would not make much sense.

How about a new DVD from buckethead with the album(s) included in the price and burnable from the DVD. Sell em for $50.00 -$60.00 and have a signed batch with additional footage for $75.00. Distribute some of the non LEs through amazon. Have 1500 LE dvds ($112,500.00) and a bunch of non LEs.
Joe!!!! Could you fix me a ham and cheese sandwich?!!! Joe!!!! I want some butter for my chips!!!! Joe!!!!

Bucketdog

Oh also have some new "DVD ONLY" music tracks on there too to compliment the albums.

Joe!!!! Could you fix me a ham and cheese sandwich?!!! Joe!!!! I want some butter for my chips!!!! Joe!!!!

Duckhead

QuoteI guess I\'ll have to look up the definition of "jank." If  it means "Hey thanks for thinking of fans that missed out on the initial pressing of [insert cd title here] that is currently out of print so we can enjoy a legitimate artist rendered cd copy at a reasonable price" I would have to say that TDRS would be the "jankest." Otherwise that\'s pretty foul, dude.

^Damn straight!

ilikeheadcheese

QuoteBeing 100% honest here, if the CDs were only available in digital format/CD-R, I would just download them for free and make my own copies. I\'d be more likely to buy an overpriced copy on Amazon than a jank one from TDRS.

This post made my whole body sad and angry at the same time.  :\'(

I would at least hope you donate to Bucket (or whoever else for that matter) after you "take" the album.  
ISOT #921
Cyborg Slunks #397
Blueprints #405
Metatron Body Bag ed.
Painting 5 #96
Best Regards #298
Spinal Clock #349
BHL
DOTR
I Need 5 Minutes Alone
SOTS
painting 213
Greeting Card CD

Jowaxe

QuoteBeing 100% honest here, if the CDs were only available in digital format/CD-R, I would just download them for free and make my own copies. I\'d be more likely to buy an overpriced copy on Amazon than a jank one from TDRS.

I can\'t believe you just wrote that on this forum. What\'s wrong with you man?

SheMouse

Illegal downloading is not cool, broha.

Like I said before, I wouldn\'t mind the CDs coming in a little sleeve with the album artwork printed on it, like Spinal Clock. I, personally, would really like having decent-quality album artwork. But if CD-R is the only way I can get the music on a disk (I have had far too many computer crashes to trust downloads completely, don\'t want to lose all my Buck. stuff), then I\'ll pay for it and wait to get one of the original digipacks/jewel cases from Amazon or eBay when I have some disposable income. If I become a hard-core collector. That money doesn\'t go to Travis or Buckethead, though, which makes me sorta sad.

Bucketfel

why is CD-R different than a regular CD or what? im not really familiar with those differences.
He works on the farm,
He makes fun of me,
But thats the lats thing youll see,
Cuz im gone use him for something that you wont understand

Spinal Clock #199
Holiday Album

SheMouse

Quotewhy is CD-R different than a regular CD or what? im not really familiar with those differences.

CD-Rs contain computer data, regular CDs are generally reserved for audio-only, allowing it to be read by a regular CD player (like in a car). You can rip music off of either, but you can\'t play the CD-R in your car. That\'s my understanding, anyways. Someone please correct me if I\'m wrong.

DroidHunter13

CD-Rs contain computer data, regular CDs are generally reserved for audio-only, allowing it to be read by a regular CD player (like in a car). You can rip music off of either, but you can\'t play the CD-R in your car. That\'s my understanding, anyways. Someone please correct me if I\'m wrong.
You can play CD-R\'s in the car...i play them in mine all the time! Although CD-R\'s dont work on some stereo systems.  I dont know any specific ones that they dont work for but 1 of my stereos doesnt play them.

Bucketfel

You can play CD-R\'s in the car...i play them in mine all the time! Although CD-R\'s dont work on some stereo systems.  I dont know any specific ones that they dont work for but 1 of my stereos doesnt play them.

i think i have one of those stereos that cant play them.

Lucky i have 2 stereos
He works on the farm,
He makes fun of me,

Spinal Clock #199
Holiday Album

Travis

April 30, 2011, 05:26:06 pm #70 Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 05:36:32 pm by admin
OK, a  wide range of opinions. Yes, the idea is to make available music that is out of print to those that missed the initial release and would still like to support the artist. I am going to try to do everything I can to prevent CD\'s from going out of print in the first place by some resource allocation. However, we have a number of CD\'s where that is too late. The pre-sale solution is a problem because the long wait and the fact that the repress is mostly not recouped and least for a few years. Remember there are too kinds out out of stock music, those we pressed for sale here and those like Population Override that were pressed by ION records and we offered for sale. Those are still available from ION and are not out of print. I will try to make them available here when I can. Right now I\'m talking about CD\'s like Peppers and Shadows.

It sounds like having the original printed cover and tray card are the most important to most people. Offering the original art and a CDR might be the most practical sort term solution. Sales of those could go toward a repress of the disc and that could be offered at a discount as an option when it becomes available. Right now I\'m just asking for your feedback to see what thoughts are about this. I haven\'t made a decision yet.

About CDRs. Digital audio is contained in files. Most  know MP3 and Wave files. Wave files can be a number of different bit depths and sample rates. CD\'s use a file format call the Red Book standard, always 16 bit 44.1k sample rate. All CDs and CDR\'s use the Redbook Standard.  CDR\'s can be burned with many different files system for data and movies and music. But an audio CD uses the Redbook spec and is exactly the same as a regular CD as far as the information on it goes.

The difference between a regular CD and a CDR is the regular CD is manufactured with the audio data on it. Digital audio is just a series of ones and zeros. The regular CD starts out as a thin disc of aluminum that is stamped with a series of pits. It look a bit like a cheese grater. Then plastic is injection moulded around the metal. When you put the disc in a player a laser scans the disc, it sees a pit, that = one, no pit = zero and the converter un-encodes the ones and zeros into music.

The CDR starts out as a plastic disc with a dye layer imbedded in it. When you burn the disc, the laser burns a series of pits into the dye. When you put it into a player the laser reads the pit, no pit.

CDr are less robust then CDs because instead of permanent pits in metal, the pits are in a photo sensitive dye emulsion.
They can fade with time. Also depending on the type of CDR dye, green, blue, silver and so on burners are optimized for one type or another so the pit depth vary from brand to brand. Some players are better at reading one brand from another. If you have trouble playing a CD in a particular player, you can burn another copy using a different brand disc and it will probably play.

A lot of the Limited Editions we sell here are on CDRs. CDR burners and players have gotten really good over the last few years and we have very few problems with customers. When they do have a problem, I tell them to burn it on another brand disc or I will do it for them and that\'s always solved the problem. It\'s always a good idea to back up CDR\'s and if something happens you can just burn another one. At 20 cents each it\'s  a bargain.

I not going on about CDRs to defend them, the fact is both types of CD\'s will become obsolete not too long from now. But CDRs may be a good option where just a few copies of a disc are needed.

One last point. All the music we sell here is easily downloaded for free all over the internet. In fact 95 percent of all the people who listen to our music do just that. We rely on the good will of those that understand the value of music they love. Without their support, there is no way we can continue to make music, at least not with the amount of time and energy that is brought to it now. The art of record making will give way to the hobby of laptop users and concert recorders.

Bucketfel

i see now. What an explanation ;D ;D

After all this talk i would feel rather guilty if Travis repress Peppers and Shadows on the normal way and not many people buy it. :(
He works on the farm,
He makes fun of me,

Spinal Clock #199
Holiday Album

DroidHunter13

^^^ Im gonna buy Shadows as soon as it gets repressed, as long as i have the money!

TheNose

I\'m fine with the CDr w/ original packaging/artwork idea if it is going towards a repress.

"There are many ways to get from the bottom to the top... it's kind of like digging a hole."
-Herbie

Silverado

May 01, 2011, 03:33:10 pm #74 Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 03:34:44 pm by Silverado
TDRS Music, Travis, Buckethead and everyone involved with these projects are blazing the trail of modern music production!  The record companies and labels are having a conference right now...heard a bit about it on NPR...on how to market music in the digital age.  I\'m sure they are aware of operations like TDRS and are threatened by this method of self-sufficiency!  I say keep up the good work!!  The only thing on major labels these days is mostly commercial garbage.

The way people obtain music is very different now, ten years ago record stores sold music to the consumer.  Obviously, that is no longer the case and record companies and artists are both struggling to make money.  As more musicians become self sufficient the need for record companies will diminish.  In my opinion, artists are going to have to make it on their own.  The tools for success are already in place...record your music, make copies, sell music, play shows, sell merchandise, take money to the bank...should be a piece of cake!!  As Martin Atkins from Invisible Records would say "Welcome to the music biz...you\'re fucked."  You gotta love it!