Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

London 07/07/2005

Started by gkg, July 07, 2005, 03:57:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gkg

July 07, 2005, 03:57:08 pm Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 03:58:18 pm by gkg
it is well know that i believe the war in Iraq is wrong, illegal, unethical and immoral.  the attack today in London does nothing to change those beliefs.

the Mayor of London said it well, and i will paraphrase - this attack had nothing to do with ideology - it is simply mass murder.  it was an attack on ordinary working people.  people of every religion, race, gender and age were in transit.  the perpetrators are simply mass murderers, though they wrap themselves in the thin veil of a political movement.
Peace.

image = <i>"Blue Velvet"</i> (front of 2-sided piece) (c) georgia k griffin - all rights reserved

oldfolkie

I have the greatest admiration for the Londoners and how they\'re handling this horrible event. I had similar admiration for people in Madrid, New York, Washington...but somewhere today I read a piece that made me think again. It reminded us that today the media is full of the murder of a number of citizens of a developed nation when this is a daily occurrence in many developing nations without getting one line of press.

I can\'t feel for everyone all of the time, or I\'d be bowed down by depression. But I remind myself occasionally that not everyone is as lucky as I am.

The worst possible thing is to let terrorists terrorize you. Because then they have won.

The second worst thing is, being terrorized yourself, to lash out at other innocent people. Because you become a terrorist in the process.

Endurance, tolerance and compassion may not be sexy or win votes, but they\'re the real answers. We\'d all be so much better off if the world\'s "leaders" were concentrating on making the planet a better place to live for us all, rather than pandering to their backroom buddies & the multinationals, abetted by an often unquestioning media.

...ok, off soapbox...
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity. ~  R.A. Heinlein

gkg

that\'s a very valid point - and sadly the focus would have been at least partially for that day on the poor people suffering and dying daily in Africa, because of the G8 meeting.  that got shoved aside for the London news.

if you seek news out, you can read daily about what is happening in the rest of the world - unfortunately what we get mainstream in the US and elsewhere is sound bites that sell, not news.
Peace.

image = <i>"Blue Velvet"</i> (front of 2-sided piece) (c) georgia k griffin - all rights reserved

spencer

Did you guys watch Girl in the Cafe?  It was about the G8 meeting, and one guy trying to help the starving people in Africa, and he brings along this mysterious girl who seems to be a political activist....

It was really neat.  It may still be on HBO.

That london thing is really a drag.  I think it also sucks that people are already pointing fingers of blame every which way, and not focusing on the fact that a lot of people are dead and injured and that that is a bad thing.  

gkg

i haven\'t seen it - i\'ll have to look for that show, thanks Spencer!

the blame thing is part very human knee-jerk response to tragedy and part responsibly addressing the matter to try and keep it from happening again.  unfortunately too much politic-ing goes into the sorting out of the facts and by the time they actually have sorted out all the facts the noise will have died down and all that will stick in people\'s memories will be the finger-pointing.
Peace.

Oleg281

The English monarchy, actively aspiring to influence world politics, finds the participation through English democracy - creation of the deformed negative information (as a freedom of speech), imposings of permissiveness (as freedom of the rights). Acceptance by a democratized society of English democratic values - without English system of the totalitarian control - decomposes the state up to a feudal-bureaucratic colony. With growth of movement for freedom and the truth the English society is divided into supporters and opponents of democratic colonization. Desperate effective resistance and migration become means of struggle for emancipating the colonized countries.

gkg

:o  same blog, different thread man...
Peace.

Oleg281

Basis of the constitution of Iraq offered by the USA is a restriction of the rights and freedom. Occupational armies cannot be in the territory of Iraq without free will of people. All conversations about the constitution of Iraq have no sense because there is no free Iraq. Acceptance of the colonial constitution by the state occupied by USA is a prolongation of a colonial policy of USA concerning to Iraq.

HISTORY REPEATS
www.genevo.org/p2i.htm

gkg

the matter of a constitution for Iraq is very complex and not really easily tossed into your mixing bowl of colonialist accusations.  i agree that it has repression built into it in some aspects, but you\'re over simplifying again and i just don\'t care to play.
Peace.

Oleg281

To establish the democratic government in Iraq
english-speaking neo-Nazis occupied Iraq.
Iraq became neo-colony. Civil emancipating
war has begun.
To make the constitutional democratic order,
occupation of Iraq should become termless,
the constitution is accepted for this purpose.
The democratic government of Iraq serves
interests of neo-colonialists in deliveries of oil to
support democratic stability in the country.

Oleg281

The basic question of the Iraq constitution is legalization and fastening of spheres of
influence, sources of enrichment in Iraq by neo-colonialists.
Local authorities, created by neo-colonialists, will receive nothing from such repartition,
their role will be maintenance of stability,
maintenance of tolerance to plunder of the country.
Political dissociation of Iraq, while there is the absence of national ideology,
is fixing in the constitution as democracy and refusal of freedom, and creates
the Iraq democratic colony.