New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

Loser reviewing buckethead (not me)

Started by BucketBrother, May 28, 2009, 04:41:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BucketBrother

Just browsing the net and found this complete dick spending his time writing reviews of Buckethead albums.  It\'s quite clear he doesn\'t get it at all.

http://www.warr.org/buckethead.html

I understand that everyone has their own opinion but this guy really pissed me off.  I just think he clearly has no idea whatsoever and needs to go listen to some cheesey old shite.

Peace out

P.S. roll on forensic follies

hexaChord

The reviews are questionable, but far from "having no idea whatsoever". Actually, the reviews are full of knowledge.

BucketBrother

I disagree, and not just because they differ from my opinion, i think they are uneducated reviews.  Just because they are worded in the way that they are doesn\'t make them full of knowledge.

Take this section of the Kaleidoscalp review for example

"The end result is a fifty-minute stream of blurps and bleeps that become indistinguishable after a while: Zillions of notes, and not a single notable lick."

Seems to me the view of someone who is not really into this sort of thing, has listened to the record once or twice and hasn\'t really go to know it.  
The more you listen, the "blurps and beeps" become very distinguishable.  The whole record is full of "licks", and darn good ones at that.  This guy hears something different to your "usual style" lick and therefore doesn\'t seem to recognise it.

I think his "knowledge" is poor and not substantial enough for these reviews.

Just my view anyway  :)

Peace out

hexaChord

Have you ever read a Christgau review?
http://www.robertchristgau.com

Having said that, Wilson & Alroy have knowledge - just take a look around their pages. They have reviewed about every P-funk related album, plus most BH solo stuff and lots of other things at least slightly related to BH.

DisembodiedLoaf

That guy sucks at reviewing. I\'ve seen that sight before. If he hates Buckethead then why does he listen to all these albums and go to the tours?

beau810

Yep... he doesnt get it.  Im sure the reviews come from the first listening... let it sink in.
Support underground music!!!

hexaChord

QuoteThat guy sucks at reviewing. I\'ve seen that sight before. If he hates Buckethead then why does he listen to all these albums and go to the tours?

Simple: He loves Buckethead, but without pink glasses. He actually reviews things, good things and bad things. He bombs albums and glorifies others. That\'s life.

Classic:
A thirteen-CD collection of new music. No, I\'m not kidding. I won\'t be reviewing this, on the principle that if you are even considering buying a thirteen-disc Buckethead set you aren\'t going to care what I think anyway.

Boxenstien

Quoted from the One stared review of Kaleidoscalp.

"Zillions of notes, and not a single notable lick.

*smacks head* FAIL

Blueprints #220
Best Regards #64
BHL Art #6
Spinal Clock #3

BucketBrother

I picked up on that one earlier too.  That just says it all, there\'s more awesome licks on that album than that guy has licked..... erm.... ice cream

sculpin99

I saw this review online as well. I just had to put my two cents in. I think this is a great review, and your angst is misplaced. Now, I understand how hard it is to be with the Bucket, when there are so many uninformed masses out there. But this is not a transgression.

However, there is a common transgression I have seen repeatedly in net forums. That is, when people state that \'Buckethead is just into playing a whole bunch of notes, and doesn\'t play with any soul\'. This opinion is formed when someone hears that Bucket is a \'shred\' guitarist. Coupled with said person not ever having listened to any Buckethead music.

An absolutely misinformed or uninformed opinion bugs me way more than someone who is actually familiar with Buckethead, and can\'t stand him for some reason or another.

DisembodiedLoaf

QuoteI saw this review online as well. I just had to put my two cents in. I think this is a great review, and your angst is misplaced. Now, I understand how hard it is to be with the Bucket, when there are so many uninformed masses out there. But this is not a transgression.

However, there is a common transgression I have seen repeatedly in net forums. That is, when people state that \'Buckethead is just into playing a whole bunch of notes, and doesn\'t play with any soul\'. This opinion is formed when someone hears that Bucket is a \'shred\' guitarist. Coupled with said person not ever having listened to any Buckethead music.

An absolutely misinformed or uninformed opinion bugs me way more than someone who is actually familiar with Buckethead, and can\'t stand him for some reason or another.

I was just argueing with and uninformed person on youtube yesterday and before then. He said the basic stuff like Big B is all about speed and doesn\'t play with soul an feeling. I posted a pretty long reply yesterday telling him about soulful and emotional Buckethead albums and haven\'t gotten a reply since. :)

sculpin99

I was just argueing with and uninformed person on youtube yesterday and before then. He said the basic stuff like Big B is all about speed and doesn\'t play with soul an feeling. I posted a pretty long reply yesterday telling him about soulful and emotional Buckethead albums and haven\'t gotten a reply since. :)

I haven\'t argued Bucket\'s case like that. But I have thought about all the examples I have of the B\'s soulful playing. Not that B needs defending, but cases abound.
I have a small but growing B library. Most of Electric Tears, most of a diamond in the rough, some of pop override....I even think some of the Death Cube material has what I consider soulful playing.

I also think B has material that is unmelodic, repetitive, and borderline obnoxious. I\'m grateful for this, because I like unmelodic, repetitive, and borderline obnoxious.

I think that is one reason that I got sucked into B\'s world. I hate this cliche, but his catalog is like a box of chocolates. Bucket (or Herbie, I can\'t remember which) is quoted as saying something like \'One day I watched Dumplings. The next day I went to Disneyland...\'. This perspective of doing what feels right at the time is reflected in his material.

And isn\'t that attitude--doing and playing what you feel--indicative of art that is heartfelt? Yet ironically the criticism of soul-lessness is common to the uninformed and uninitiated. And I think in large part it stems simply from the mislabeling of the B as a \'shred\' guitarist.

Peace to ya.