New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

Buckethead with orchestra

Started by rainmaker2112, August 13, 2008, 12:51:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rainmaker2112

Perhaps it\'s only me, but one of the coolest BH songs is "I Love My Parents" from Giant Robot NTT that includes the orchestra.  How cool would it be to have a Buckethead Live CD with an orchestra?  Soothsayer with orchestra crescendos, Sail on Soothsayer with calm then crushing toward the end, how about "Watching the Boats with My Dad" complimented by violins, oboes, cellos, etc?

I know he wouldn\'t be the first rock star that played with an orchestra, but think of how complimentary the music would be to each other AND without being muddied up by lyrics!!!!

What do ya\'ll think????

Jordanatron

That was on the Gaint Robot not NTT ;D I would love to see that happen, also he did Jack the ripper from last action hero soundtrack back in 92 It seems he has allways had a taste fir it.
Be true to yourself you can't go wrong.
Mr Bocbacoc
ISOT-206 BP-17 DCK-228

hexaChord

An Orchestra is a dangerous thing. Deep Purple made it right in 1969 and again in 1999 but ELP messed it up completely in the 1970s (1976? The "Works"-album). The absolute low point was Metallica\'s "S&M" with Michael Kamen - the same guy who worked with Buck on "Last Action Hero" and did some orchestration for Pink Floyd\'s "The Wall" (yes, he did "Robin Hood", too, urgh).

rainmaker2112

True, perhaps what I mean is perhaps instead of live ochestra with Bucket is to weave some orchestra tracks into the songs.  Note:  I love Bucket\'s music the way it is, but when I heard the orchestra version of "I Love.." it enhanced it.

Just a thought, but not from the songs lacking, rather to enhance them (like adding a little steak sauce to an already fabulous New York Strip!!!)

ella_mental

I think orchestra\'s suck when they\'re an ego trip.  I\'m not saying that\'s the case with Buckethead.  I don\'t know why everybody gets so excited about orchestras though.  Maybe it\'s a composer thing.  But there are tons of instrument options in the world.  I really feel the marching band hasn\'t been fully explored.

Aequitas

Or the heavy metal/polka fusion band.
Respect.

ella_mental

Warsaw - Rock City.  Throw your hands in the air if you\'re an accordion player.

Aequitas

Hell yea accordions!

I want to learn Padmasana on accordion..... I wonder what emotions that would evoke.
Respect.

rschuch

Most experiments that mix rock with orchestra sound like crap, IMO. The classical makes the rock sound pretentious and the rock makes the classical sound old and dated. BUT, I believe it CAN be done if it\'s treated as a new form of music, rather than Yngwie shredding over baroque strings. It needs to be more symbiotic and I think BH is perfect to do it because of his range of styles and sounds and because his ego won\'t get in the way. But it needs to be written by a VERY contemporary composer, like Danny Elfman or Peter Sculthorpe, that can mix both melodic and dissonant elements, and the guitar needs to blend much better with the orchestra than anything that has been done before so that it\'s not an vehicle for guitar solo, but a musical landscape requiring both parts.

I wish I could write music, because I can hear large portions of the suite in my head. It sounds like a merging of Mussorgsky\'s Night on Bare Mountain with Death Cube K, but about 100 times more intense.

ella_mental

I think it would evoke panic.  Padmasana on accordion would need to be tempered.  I think the glockenspiel would be the perfect complement.

Aequitas

maybe add a flugelhorn as well? just for kicks a drumset with jai lai racquets as drumsticks.
Respect.

ella_mental

Right on!  I can hear it now.  The only other thing I can suggest is a dog and cat choir.  Of course, who doesn\'t think dog and cat choir when they think orchestra?

rainmaker2112

Glockenspiel just evokes all sorts of wrong, but what a great name and a great instrument.

Of course, I realize this would be a huge risk for most groups, but most groups don\'t compose in the way Bucket does AND they fit themselves into a tidy little box...something BigB doesn\'t.

Also, consider that most groups would struggle, since there are lyrics to consider and how they fit the "music style".  The instrumental aspect of Bucket would meld with the orchestra without regard to lyrics and standard time.

It would be a risk, but then again, that\'s what makes Buckethead so epic is that he\'s not unwilling to do that AND he doesn\'t have a record company telling him "don\'t do that" BS.