New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

Jam Band Rant

Started by ella_mental, May 07, 2008, 08:16:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mozy_Bot

Love the jam bands!!!  Garaj Mahal, Galactic, Soulive - so many good ones - plus I fee like afrobeat is like jam bands - Fela Kuti, antibalas  ... etc.  SO MUCH FUN LIVE!!!!
ISOT #3 DCK #40  Blueprints #5  Cyborg Slunks #31 Painting-2 - #31  
Best Regards # 258

Mozy_Bot

May 15, 2008, 01:07:51 am #16 Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 10:57:57 pm by Mozy_Bot
QuoteCream, the Allman Brothers live at the Fillmore, Miles Davis. I guess I\'m a Jam Band fan. Have I dated myself yet?

Oh, Thanatopsis is a jam band.

I\'d KILL TO SEE Thanatopsis jam out live!  Wholly shiz bot that would be so cool!!!

Serious question for Travis - What can I do to help enable a live performance by you and BH together with a drummer playing tunes by Thanatopsis, Population Override, and both Chicken Noodles albums?

ISOT #3 DCK #40  Blueprints #5  Cyborg Slunks #31 Painting-2 - #31  
Best Regards # 258

zimbopolus

are we going to have to write a petition to see thanatopsis live?
Itchy Wah

beelzeBob

QuoteOh, Thanatopsis is a jam band.

Fuckin\' A!
Eye Feel Fine(d)
I Feel Find
I Fell, Fin.

beelzeBob

I\'d KILL TO SEE Thanatopsis jam out live!  Wholly shiz bot that would be so cool!!!

Serious question for Travis - What can I do to help enable a live performance by you and BH together with a drummer playing tunes by Thanatopsis, Population Override, and both Chicken Noodles albums?

I\'m booking a flight to Cali as soon I get word.

Seriously Travis, I know you guys are SUPER busy, but what if you scheduled it 2-3 years in advance?
Eye Feel Fine(d)
I Feel Find
I Fell, Fin.

ella_mental

I love live music.  Live music has actually helped me shape my life.  The jam band scene was a part of that.

My original post was actually the last part of my epiphany.  The realization came slowly over several years.

It all started when I dressed like a hippie to go to a show, saw pictures of myself and asked, who is that.  From then on I made sure I was dressed in a way that was true to myself.

Next, I stopped participating in lot activities, saw a band I had seen several times before and loved, and found myself asking myself why I ever thought they were good.  But, everybody around seemed to be having a good time...so I thought it was me and I lost my feel for the vibe.

Next, I went to a Yes concert and within minutes heard and saw a much cleaner and clearer sound than anything I had heard from a jam band in the past.  Plus, the musicianship blew any jam bad I had seen out of the water.

All this time I\'m seeing jam bands too.

At a Meshuggah show (opening for Tool), everyone around me seemed to be wondering what the hell was going on.  But I was thinking, I kind of like this.

Back to the jam bands.  Everyone around me is really into it and I\'m waiting for something to happen.  Four or five shows like that and I realized...it\'s not me.  My vibe radar is fine.  There is just nothing going on.

To me, the time the bands spend trying to find the groove is not jamming.  It is a waste of my time.  I didn\'t come to a show to see 5 minutes of brilliance every 1/2 hour.

One of the last jam shows I was at was a Phil Lesh show and it was fun.  I love live music and I will continue to see live shows.  I\'ve had enough of jam bands.

rezonator

I know what you\'re saying;some jam bands just do solos to go thru the motions and you can tell that their lyrics are more selling points to the masses than true expression.when I go to jam band fests I think most of the bands are pretty mediocre so I just walk around half-listening.Thought about getting some bohemian-styled stuff like you mentioned but then decided to stay with the style I\'ve worn for over a decade--that scene isn\'t me.with that said,yes,the hippy crowd might not be as in-tune with the technicality of the music because they\'re into the raw emotional aesthetic of how it makes them feel(I dig a combo of that and well-executed technicality);buuut I\'ll take a hippy crowd over a metal fest any day for the comfort factor alone.90% of hippies are waaay easier to get along with than 90% of metalheads(and I guess I consider myself half metalhead or something).also,the term jam band is pretty vast;I mean tool could be considered a jam band with the extended parts of songs that they do.
i am a nincompoop mama said!

Aequitas

Thanatopsis.... my god that would be great live.

But on to my real topic, Ella Mental, we should get together and own the Jammy\'s. NO corduroys, NO tanktops, but a hellalot of pwn.
Respect.