New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

"In search of" is already up on torrent sites

Started by JSTHERACON, February 28, 2007, 04:56:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JSTHERACON

February 28, 2007, 04:56:28 pm Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 05:01:13 pm by JSTHERACON
I have to wonder what fans feel about this? As I looked on a torrent site I noticed it\'s on a popular torrent site with 17 seeds and 58 leeches. I understand that\'s alot of money to lose. But can you expect people to not listen to these sets if they don\'t want/or can\'t afford to spend 200?

Do you feel that most people who aren\'t going to pay 200 for someone to share this it\'s still bad and blasphemous?

I will give my side of things. I am a longtime veteran listener of Buckethead. I have bought pretty much every project since 05. I am conflicted in paying 200 for a CDR set especially when I have contributed so much to paying for cd\'s. I think it\'s awesome that Buckethead is so dedicated to getting his work out.  But I am conflicted in paying 200 for a box set. I am getting a computer and I still have alot to catch up from 06.

I am also conflicted that I want to download this and listen. I plan on buying several releases from TDRS from 06 including Pepper\'s Ghost from this year. And I wonder what everyones thoughts are on this for a semi-supporter of Buckethead who has 80 percent of his work and supported this store with at least 10 releases. What is my responsibility as a fan?

Is it still wrong to download a torrent like this. if people who normally wouldn\'t buy it, and it\'s out there for people around the world to listen? I will be honest with you and say I download albums here and there on torrent sites. I feel alot of music fans do the same thing and still support the artists they love. I also think that alot artists download just as much as me on these sites as well.

Isn\'t this to be expected in this day and age?
I wonder what Travis thinks about people downloading projects of his who may not have the money to go all in but download from torrents to hear what they are missing.

I don\'t want a lecture, it\'s just obvious to me alot of people are in the same boat. I am trying hard not to download "In Search of" and If I did I would just buy alot releases I missed from 06.

Be honest with yourself when you respond. Don\'t preach if you know that you download as much as me. I believe that many people are in the same boat and position as me. Which is : I support the artist when I can but let\'s be realistic. Not everyone is going to buy every cd on the market someone puts out.

Is that person condemned in a music community for not full on hardcore support? I don\'t think so. Let\'s be real,TDRS folks. Most people who are audiophiles who use computers  delve/dabble into the areas I am talking about

I give the floor to the TDRS Board.

(Here we go)

(controversial subject)

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

For BUCKETHEAD projects go here, what are you doing procrastinatin? Order them

d6

February 28, 2007, 05:28:56 pm #1 Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 06:12:35 pm by d6
torrenting/sharing copyrighted material is ALWAYS wrong.

and we actually managed last night to get at least one seeder who put the 13 wedges set on a private torrent site to take it down.  

there is a BIG discussion over at the tk board about the pro´s and con´s of filesharing. so i just post what i said there.

copyright is a fact. copyright infringement is illegal.

there is no way to take on that with a philosophical / ethical discourse.

its a crime. period.

BUT it is a big difference on how filesharing affects the single artist.

the "big" ones could care less, but an independent artist, like buckethead and travis have a real financial disadvantage.

it is practically stealing from their pocket. instead of beeing happy for bucket, that a musician of his quality can make a living off of his music and still stay as independent as possible, people go and give away HIS work for free!

and sure I dont believe all the "its for the sake of spreading his music" apologies.

if someone torrents 25 official buckethead releases at once, do you really think many folks who dl this, go then and buy all this music once again online or in a store just to own the cd?

any artist like bucket depends on record sales even more than the folks you see on the music channels.

just look at the CSS - repressing : they are willing to start this whole action for 50(!) preorders.does this give you a picture on what financial level independent musicians operate?

sure, many of you are very young and grew up with filesharing as a cool thing. so its not about to condemn a person. its all about making you think about what youre doing. act responsible. support your artist by BUYING his work. and dont make yourself believe filesharing copyrighted material helps any independent artist in the long run.

no, it will kill them. thats the fact.

no record sales - no money comes in - no money to live - no money for a new record...end of career..... back to a shitty day job and play music with bots just on the weekend.
official hippie hell survivor

ashpatton

You said it d6! All anyone should think about is how can Bucket release new cd\'s without money? Period.

bornalive

I\'m in the same situation as yourself for one thing : I can\'t order the whole set now.
I have bought every single disc Buckethead has been on since the beginning of his carreer (maybe except a couple of compilations that don\'t have otherwise unavailable material).

It is the first time that I can\'t buy a new Bucket project. I have only ordered one disc of thisinsearchofthe project. I hope I\'ll manage to order more later.

BUT I won\'t get the music for free. If I can\'t buy it, then I don\'t deserve to have a free listen.

And, $200 for a 13 CDR set is not that much. My problem is that we have not been warned earlier... and couldn\'t save money for this.

Bucketbot1031

QuoteI\'m in the same situation as yourself for one thing : I can\'t order the whole set now.
I have bought every single disc Buckethead has been on since the beginning of his carreer (maybe except a couple of compilations that don\'t have otherwise unavailable material).

It is the first time that I can\'t buy a new Bucket project. I have only ordered one disc of thisinsearchofthe project. I hope I\'ll manage to order more later.

BUT I won\'t get the music for free. If I can\'t buy it, then I don\'t deserve to have a free listen.

And, $200 for a 13 CDR set is not that much. My problem is that we have not been warned earlier... and couldn\'t save money for this.

I\'m in the same boat as your bornalive as in I only ordered one disc.  But when I saw the "In Search Of" set on torrent sites I just couldn\'t download it cause I felt like it wouldn\'t be the same, maybe thats just me though.  

On another note I was wondering how the numbering of single discs are going to go.  Are they just gunna get a number, then when you order more you get different numbers, or can you have it so Buckethead signs the cover with the same set number as your already purchased disc(s)?

colmatose

Anybody who wants these wonderful CD's should do what I did....

F**king Buy it!

That's kind of the bottom line.

If you are downloading this you are a thief. If you are sharing it you are a criminal and a piece of shit.

shaun

I\'ve paid $200 + $11 postage
Is "In Search Of" protected by copyright?

d6

February 28, 2007, 07:36:42 pm #7 Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 07:40:06 pm by d6
sure it is copyrighted!

it has no written copyright, bc there is nothing on it a "regular " cd has. not even a tracklist and whatnot. its the concept of it. tho it IS still buckets work .

so as soon as it´s finished, its copyrighted by buckethead.

and heres the legal background to it. the USA joined in 1989.

The Berne Convention

The 1886 Berne Convention first established recognition of copyrights among sovereign nations, rather than merely bilaterally. Under the Berne Convention, copyrights for creative works do not have to be asserted or declared, as they are automatically in force at creation: an author need not "register" or "apply for" a copyright in countries adhering to the Berne Convention. As soon as a work is "fixed", that is, written or recorded on some physical medium, its author is automatically entitled to all copyrights in the work,and to any derivative works unless and until the author explicitly disclaims them, or until the copyright expires. The Berne Convention also resulted in foreign authors being treated equivalently to domestic authors, in any country signed onto the Convention.

The UK signed the Berne Convention in 1887 but did not implement large parts of it until 100 years later with the passage of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act of 1988. The USA did not sign the Berne Convention until 1989.
official hippie hell survivor

slunkatron

I think downloading these albums is even worse than doing it with a normal release.  Buckethead is going out of his way to provide this music to his fans.  Plus, I would assume most of the money from the sales actually goes to Buckethead, and not to some huge corporation that publishes the music.  So, by downloading these, you are really taking money from Buckethead, money that he definitely deserves for all the great music he has brought us.  Anyway, I would not download them (unless I was going to buy them anyway at some point) and hope you decide not to.

maxboi

February 28, 2007, 08:28:17 pm #9 Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 08:29:41 pm by maxboi
I don\'t have any problem with downloading stuff from an artist who\'s dead or multibillionair or when 95% of the money goes in the distributor\\label pockets. But I never download albums from independant or small  artists.

colmatose

No one here is going to condone illegal downloading of Buckethead\'s music no matter what type of lengthy rationalization accompanies it.

You\'d be surprised

zapmax

Torrent sucks quit ripping off Buckethead!  Its one thing to share live performances because Buckethead encourages people to audio and video record his shows for free.  But to copy something that is sold on this "Official Site" of his recordings is not cool at all.  The guy works hard for a living and for the fans so don\'t rip him off!

Slunker

You\'d be surprised

I agree. There\'ll always be a few rotten apples in the bunch, that are disloyal and would rather download the music in order to save a buck. Or, in this case, a lot of bucks. Still, I think it\'s horribly wrong, but it\'s always going to happen no matter where you look.

zappahead

like i said at the .tk

yeah it sux, but the people unlawfully downloading material are not getting the actual set. i\'m getting 13 individually numbered cd cases that are drawn on by b himself, i\'d pay a $1000 for that, and thats with no music, lol. it just sux for b, cuz thats his art and soul being downloaded for free. but those people can never have what the people who bought it have.
insearchofthe - #289
DCK - #120
Blueprints - #77
Cyborg Slunks - #50
Buckethead Print #5 - 80/100
Best Regards - #371
Spinal Clock - #274
Happy Holidays Limited

Solar

I\'ve downloaded past albums, but only because they were out of print. I\'m pretty sure that\'s legal. Or so says the .tk board.

Is it still wrong to download a torrent like this if it\'s people who normally wouldn\'t buy it, and it\'s out there for people around the world to listen?

That\'s a damn good point. I discovered Buckethead from my friend who burned me a copy of Giant Robot. I didn\'t pay for that. I got it copy from someone else. OOOOH, I\'M A THEIF!!

Buckethead needs his money. Indeed he does. And he disserves it. But people who can\'t afford the stuff aren\'t evil for downloading his $200 album, not by a long, LONG shot. First, Bucket wouldn\'t get any money either way, and second, it may (and usually does) spark their interest in the artist, causing them to actually buy other albums.

People like to dabble in music, as "JSTHERACON" stated. A lot of people download music so they can actually what the band sounds like before they go out and buy the CD. And then when they really like it, they buy their music and a lot of times buy the album they downloaded as well because they feel bad about it.

Yes, downloading music is against the law and very wrong, especially when done to small artists like Buckethead. It is disgraceful. However, downloading a fucking Beatles album isn\'t morally wrong. They\'re all dead. Downloading a $200 album isn\'t morally wrong either, if you\'re a broke 13 year old kid with shitty parents who wants to hear what the album sounds like.

In short, if you have the money and you donwload this, I would probably want to punch you in the face. But don\'t throw all illegal downloading into one barrel. Just because it\'s illegal doesn\'t mean it\'s wrong... look at gay marriage. That\'s illegal in like 10 states. Why? Who knows.