New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

Art

Started by D.O.D, November 20, 2004, 03:41:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

D.O.D

Art Ramblings-   Abstract art runs the risk of becoming  "decor\', Realism runs the risk of storytelling. Both become art only when the artist tells  us about himself [ herself] "  I am the subject of my art"  Look at a  Van Gogh, a Dekooning, a Cezanne, a Pollock . Who do you see?    This premis falls apart a bit  when applied to music. The more I hear Buckethead \'s music the more I am convinced that the man is making art. Behind those incredibly nimble  fingers must be an incredibly nimble mind functioning at a furious pace, and in the end Bucket tells us about himself.  But! behind it all do I hear Bethovan banging away.....? with a little help from my friends.  D.O.D

gkg

maybe it\'s because i was raised by semi-hippies but i always understood art to be any form of self-expression.  

i very much agree with you that Buckethead is creating art.  all the folk working with Travis are artists in my view - as is he.  each leaves you with a sense of themselves, some in greater degrees than others.  it\'s fascinating to watch and listen as bits emerge.  each listen seems to show me something new yet somehow familiar.
Peace.

image = <i>"Blue Velvet"</i> (front of 2-sided piece) (c) georgia k griffin - all rights reserved

caper

QuoteArt Ramblings-   Abstract art runs the risk of becoming  "decor\', Realism runs the risk of storytelling. Both become art only when the artist tells  us about himself [ herself] "  I am the subject of my art"  
that\'s a fact D.O.D.   how art is about telling about yourself.  but theres more for me too.   "art" has this quality of fearlessness and surrender to it that is subtle and subjective but thats how i recognize art in the craft.  that and the paradoxical way of how i learn more about myself from artists like at tdrs
the map is not the territory