New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

Review: 2720 Cherokee in St. Louis, MO - Thursday, August 26

Started by dewclaw, July 27, 2012, 03:04:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dewclaw

The opening band was called "It" and they are from St. Louis. It was just a drummer and guitarist playing along with a laptop. They sounded like 1/2 of Franz Ferdinand; kinda dancy, lots of screaming from the drummer. It was okay, but nothing I'd go buy or look up.

The venue is bad ass. Pretty much an art gallery. It was hot as a mofo in there though. When I walked in a dude asked me if I thought Bucket was Paul Gilbert and I said I didn't know. He said, "We'll find out tonight.", and I said "How?", and he said,. "I'm going to yell, 'Hey Paul!', and see if he turns and looks." --I never heard anybody yell though. Buckethead's roadie hit the stage at 10:00 and turned on the ENGL amp and got everything ready to go. By the way, why does the roadie dude where a surgical mask like a Chinese citizen?

About 10:10 the sound system started playing audio from the video game Galaga. Buckethead took the stage about 10:15 or so. He broke a string pretty early on and switched to a back-up guitar. I think this caused a few problems because he was out of tune a couple times during the night. The song selection was pretty much the same as I've seen him perform before. I don't know the titles but somebody will probably post a setlist. He let the people in the front row work the kill switch on one tune, which was cool.

Bucket did the usual toy exchange and break dance portion of the show. His mask was kind of cool. The eyes had a thin veil or something over them so you couldn't even see his eyes. Somebody brought a shit-ton of KFC buckets so several in the crowd were wearing them. During the toy exchange Bucket added two of the buckets to his own bucket. The show ended about 11:30 with no encore. I was kind of surprised because the room was still packed to the gills when he quit and everybody was chanting "Buck-et-head!" for him to come back out. All in all, it was what I expected to see. I had hoped to hear and see something different than the last couple times but it was not to be.

The merch table had all six of the Buckethead Pikes releases and Electric Tears. No limited, or special stuff.

Still, it was worth the time and money it took to see the show. NOBODY SHREDS A GUITAR LIKE BUCKETHEAD.

robotpie3000

PawnBot

Quote from: dewclaw on July 27, 2012, 03:04:49 pm

Still, it was worth the time and money it took to see the show. NOBODY SHREDS A GUITAR LIKE BUCKETHEAD.

i totally agree with you. some others however refuse.

Cant wait for Oct 3rd.
BR #560
SC #224
LE Art #203 - #197
LE Christmas CD