New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

VOTE BUCKETHEAD!

Started by DroidHunter13, July 05, 2012, 06:41:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

X

Quote from: beau810 on July 11, 2012, 12:49:53 amI personally want Buckethead off the road and I have said that before.  My reasoning is that I would rather him spend his time more on song writing instead of improv all the time.

You know, for a guitarist who has released so many studio albums that he is only trumped by Frank Zappa, that comment sounds very condescending the way you put it. It sounds like you're saying his method of making money is a burden to his ability to write more songs for you which he, apparently, hasn't done enough. I'm sure you meant that in a different light, but I hope you can rephrase that in a more respectable manner.

beau810

Quote from: X on July 13, 2012, 03:29:59 am
Quote from: beau810 on July 11, 2012, 12:49:53 amI personally want Buckethead off the road and I have said that before.  My reasoning is that I would rather him spend his time more on song writing instead of improv all the time.

You know, for a guitarist who has released so many studio albums that he is only trumped by Frank Zappa, that comment sounds very condescending the way you put it. It sounds like you're saying his method of making money is a burden to his ability to write more songs for you which he, apparently, hasn't done enough. I'm sure you meant that in a different light, but I hope you can rephrase that in a more respectable manner.

I sure can... Yes it is true that I think that Buckethead being on the road has effected his releases.  Sure hes put out his average amount year after year, but I feel that in the last 3 to 4 years he has more improv material than usual.  Most of the pikes recordings are just that... 3 foot clearance I dont even count as a Pikes cd because I had it a year before it even came out as 3 foot Clearance (a recording that is very dear to me.)

Now look at 2005 to 2008... and you have got some of the best stuff he has ever done;  Buckethead and Friends,  Dawn of the Deli Creeps, Kaleidoscalp, Imbred Mountain, Anatomize, The Elephantman's Alarm Clock, Crime Slunk Scene, Peppers Ghost, Decoding the Tomb of Bansheebot, Albino Slug, and Dragons of Eden.  (list did not include many of my favorites because of their improv in nature.)  Many of these recordings people on here consider their favorites.

2009 to now... Slaughterhouse on the Prairie, A Real Diamond in the Rough, Iconography, Shadows Between the Sky, Captain EO's Voyage, Happy Holidays, Electric Sea.  All great recordings but over half of them are super mellow. 

To sum up what I'm saying:  I LOVE BUCKETHEAD!  All most everything he releases gets played more than the next band I buy.  I have invested more hours listening to Buckethead than any other music artist out there.  When he had started touring a lot (around 2008 to 2009) compared to other years I became worried that he would not put out as much stuff, but that didn't happen.  What did happen was that his releases became less involved... not necessarily worse.  I feel that way because of the list of recordings I have just made.  I'm not being condescending in any way just selfish in the fact that i would love to call one of his newest recordings my favorite.  I would also love for Buckethead not to tour because its a hard gig to do... I want him to be able to make a living at home or in the studio not on the road!  I'm also not trying to convince anyone to believe what I'm saying, it's just how I, a huge Buckethead fan, believes.

Thanks for asking X!   

Support underground music!!!

X

Indeed, that's much clearer to me. In fact I can't help but agree with you on one point. His material has become much more jam oriented over the years, although I do find Look Up There to be a stand out that brings me back to songs like Siege Engine, Soothsayer and (dare I say) Nottingham Lace. However, besides Underground Chamber, I haven't heard him write anything much like Advance To The Summit, Lurker At The Threshold, or Hall Of Scalding Vats lately. Every now and then I miss that kind of material.