Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

Happy Thanksgiving from the makers of Thanatopsis

Started by Travis, November 22, 2004, 09:28:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

caper

happy thanksgiving to you too!

so i was driving back from kung fu last night.  i was listening to Common Ground on my earbuds.  suddenly i could have sworn i heard sirens and i freaked that the cops were coming up fast behind me.  i even craned my neck around.  o.O  but then suddenly i realized it was one of the layers of sound on Common Ground around 5:55 tracking into my right ear.  LOL that was funny!

travis i was wondering if you would talk more about Common Ground.  you called it pensive.  im not sure what you meant? do you feel like saying more
the map is not the territory

Travis

"while pensive poets painful vigils keep" (Alexander Pope)

Pensive: contemplative, reflective, meditative, thoughtful
These adjectives mean characterized by or disposed to thought, especially serious or deep thought. Pensive often connotes a wistful, dreamy, or sad quality. Contemplative implies slow directed consideration, often with conscious intent of achieving better understanding or spiritual or aesthetic enrichment: "The Contemplative Atheist is rare... And yet they seem to be more than they are" (Francis Bacon). Reflective suggests careful analytical deliberation, as in reappraising past experience: "Cromwell was of the active, not the reflective temper" (John Morley). Meditative implies earnest sustained thought: The scholar was reticent, aloof, and meditative. Thoughtful can refer to absorption in thought or to the habit of reflection and circumspection: Thoughtful voters carefully considered the candidates.

Something like that.

gkg

Pensive -
1: musingly or dreamily thoughtful
2: suggestive of sad thoughtfulness

Reflective -
1: capable of reflecting light, images, or sound waves
2: marked by reflection: THOUGHTFUL, DELIBERATIVE
3: of, relating to, or caused by reflection <reflective glare>

Mellow -
1a: of a fruit: tender and sweet because of ripeness b of a wine: well aged and pleasingly mild
2a: made gentle by age or experience; b: rich and full but free from garishness or stridency; c: warmed and relaxed by or as if by liquor; d: PLEASANT, AGREEABLE e: LAID-BACK
3: of soil: having a soft and loamy consistency

How interesting the mix of views, from your intention, which with the voters\' reference i fully understand - and yet the music roused hope for us; Max said reflective, i said mellow.

Thank you for the Bacon quote, that is a great insight - yet while we were filled with sadness and pain at the recent electoral and war events as you might guess, we both felt more hope in Common Ground than you express.  how terribly interesting that is... and may it be a harbinger of hope for us all!

:-* to the Dickersons, all.
Peace.

image = <i>"Blue Velvet"</i> (front of 2-sided piece) (c) georgia k griffin - all rights reserved

chazuke

QuoteThank you everyone for the kind words. I have a ton of stuff I\'m working on for this project and it\'s still taking on shape. This record could go a few different ways, I\'ll have to get a feel for the direction and choose the stuff that best fits. So It won\'t be out tomorrow. This piece was close enough to done and I though the mood fit the times so I thought I\'d share. Have a great holiday everyone.

Common ground fits the time and my and obviously other fans\' taste! Way to go, Travis. There was a thread a while back with almost equal number of votes for "please do like T1" and "please do like T2". If you find yourself in a conflict now, how about this: You have a ton of stuff, so why not do a 3CD album, 1st as rough as T1, 2nd as mellow as T2, 3rd whatever, you can\'t fail anyway! Thanks again for the DL and a happy one to you too!
... bot is so gross! He's unleashed!

caper

Quote"while pensive poets painful vigils keep" (Alexander Pope)

Pensive: contemplative, reflective, meditative, thoughtful
These adjectives mean characterized by or disposed to thought, especially serious or deep thought. Pensive often connotes a wistful, dreamy, or sad quality. Contemplative implies slow directed consideration, often with conscious intent of achieving better understanding or spiritual or aesthetic enrichment: "The Contemplative Atheist is rare... And yet they seem to be more than they are" (Francis Bacon). Reflective suggests careful analytical deliberation, as in reappraising past experience: "Cromwell was of the active, not the reflective temper" (John Morley). Meditative implies earnest sustained thought: The scholar was reticent, aloof, and meditative. Thoughtful can refer to absorption in thought or to the habit of reflection and circumspection: Thoughtful voters carefully considered the candidates.

Something like that.

that is quite a mouthful.  the wistful and sad part o yeh.  i know more now thanks! words are magic

common ground is like a dish on the table this thanksgiving.  i like how we are all eating together this year.   thank you makers.  and travis your Pensive is like another dish i swear.  its like one of those savory english pies full of hot chunks of stuff mmm

Travis

To be clear, I did not author the above text. Also to be clear about how I feel about it, it\'s just a song. ;)

Travis

Caper, sorry, I skipped over your post, thank you about common ground, I had way too much turkey and started speed reading. :-X :) :)

caper

im listening to common ground right this very second as i write these words and it is such creamy goodness  

Travis i like how you got this "waa" edge to the keyboards in this song.  for me this effect first comes in at 0:30 at least by the timer of my cd player.  the keyboards start to sound like vocals. my brain starts to try to hear words.  maybe youve used this modulation or whatever its called before but i really noticed it this time and i like it

Travis

It\'s the filter cutoff of the Moog patched to a controller. I do tend to use it quite a bit.

lae

Great track Travis, worth the hour it took for me to download with my stupid dial up service.  ;)

I\'m looking forward to hearing more.

caper

November 29, 2004, 09:11:59 pm #25 Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 05:01:24 pm by M._caper
QuoteIt\'s the filter cutoff of the Moog patched to a controller. I do tend to use it quite a bit.
i like how it sharpens the keyboards somehow and makes them interact with the guitar differently. so i hear the two lines in more of a duet relationship, back and forth, in contrast to those times when the keyboards seem to support or envelop the guitar in a more atmospheric way.  like brooding clouds on which lightning plays.

spencer

November 29, 2004, 10:58:25 pm #26 Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 10:58:50 pm by spencer
Travis, could i ever coax you into teaching me the ways of producing music and stuff?  Maybe Chris Moss and I could be interns at your studio?   ;D ;)

That\'d be the coolest summer job ever, next to being a roadie for C2B3 or Thanatopsis (hint hint, go on tour! heheh) ;)

the_fawnky_fangerz

:)Excellent track. I loved the keys, some really funky stuff. Great tones too, thanks so much.
I daydream about stabbing people in the eye with my pen, peeling off their flesh, and stapling it to the wall. Is that bad? I think I could have a nice collection.

sngwthme

January 07, 2005, 03:51:16 am #28 Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 03:52:41 am by SNGWTHME
Okaaaay, now that I am awake from my nap!
How in the world did I miss this!?
Guys, this track is fantastic! Very refreshing and full of magic. Thank you so much for sharing your work in progress.
What a treat. I can\'t wait to hear what else you guys have in store.
And Travis,

QuoteAlso to be clear about how I feel about it, it\'s just a song. ;)
Just a song? Bite your tongue sir. None of your music is just a song.