Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

The Greatest album of all time?

Started by guitarslim, April 18, 2005, 11:43:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

guitarslim

Hi All
So, What is the greatest album of all time?
I live in the uk and every year channel 4 hosts what they call \'The greatest album of all time \' (TOP 100) apparently as voted for by c4 viewers.
I do watch this show every year and I am always left bewildered and amazed at the choice of albums that make it into the top 100.
I must say that it is not really the choice of albums that annoys me but the fact that the poll seems to be dictated by fashion. Magazines like NME and Q (do you have those in the US?) seem to be doing most of the dictating deciding that on one day a particular band is COOL and then the next day they aren\'t and, of course, the majority of people who read the magazines unwittingly follow.
Does \'fashion\' belong in the music industry at all?

Chris DiCicco

I\'ve seen them magazines, but what was the greatest album in the UK?  Beatles? Elvis? WHAT?

Chris
The Exosphere  2013

guitarslim

OK computer by Radiohead was voted the greatest album of all time (in 2005 if that makes sense)
SGt pepper and revolver were in there as usual(revolver hit the top spot in 2004) but in different positions
Oasis\' definitely maybe also made the top ten as did Michael Jackson\'s thriller  and appetite for destruction by Guns n Roses.
Nevermind by nirvana managed to make the no3 spot while Madonna\'s like a prayer made no9
The no2 spot was claimed by U2 with joshua tree.
Oh, and Dark side of the moon made no5.
Elvis managed to crawl in at the coveted no68 spot and good ol\' Robbie Williams made it in at no91.

Chris DiCicco

The Exosphere  2013

denske

ok computer is ok, but i kinda get bored after a couple of listens, then i pack it away for 6mths then i like it again,,, my top 5 would be????
1. animals... pink floyd
2. enter the wu-tang...wu-tang clan
3.pro\'s and con\'s of hitch hiking...roger waters
4.pork soda...primus
5.cream of clapton... eric clapton.,,,, i dont know if a compliation should count but it\'s up there for me,

guitarslim

My top 5 in no particular order would be:

1. A trick of the tail- Genesis
2. So- Peter Gabriel
3. Innervisions- Stevie Wonder
4. Hysteria- Def Leppard
5. Master of puppets- Metallica

Im sure I\'ve missed some out....

Tristan_Donnelly

Good choices everyone. My top 5:

1. Anthem of the Sun - Greatful Dead
2. Population Override - Buckethead
3. Big Eyeball in the Sky - CCBBB
4. Untying the Not - String Cheese Incident
5. Rust in Peace - Megadeth

Very hard to choose though.

CMA

RICK ASTLEY  - never gonna give you up

guitarslim

Hey tristan
interesting choice of music. Rust in peace has some superb guitar solos and good tunes though the rhythm guitars a bit tinny.

I\'m glad you put rick astley in there because that leads straight back to the original question.

just as a point of interest (or maybe not) the synth/bassline from the rick astley track was lifted from a number one hit in 1985. Colonel Abraham-trapped

CMA

never gonna let you down was a cover of some guy who\'s oiginal track soundd like a 33 record played at 45

guitarslim

a very piquant observation chris

Chris DiCicco

April 25, 2005, 10:10:27 pm #11 Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 10:11:59 pm by Chris
this may or may not get me booted from the conversation, but I always liked Metal Machine Music, it always pains me to see this used and for sale, Lou Reed did a tour in China? er Germany? doing this Live back in 2002 er 3 er somewhere in someplace?, I just thought it would be cool to hear Feedback like that live, I always wanted to do a Homage to MMM but lack the equipment, yeah this\'ll really make\'em run for the doors. Ha Ha

Chris
The Exosphere  2013

rezonator

my top 5 for now are(till they get de-throned):

1.pantera-far beyond driven or live 101 proof
2.buckethead-electric tears,giant robot,or praxis-trans or metatron(like em equaly)
3.type o negative-october rust
4.any angelo badalamenti movie score
5.any doors,black sabbath,parliament/funkadelic,delphonics,king crimson,four seasons,or pink floyd album. 8)
i am a nincompoop mama said!

the_fawnky_fangerz

One day I hope to have a whole wall with each of these on there, since they have all been such a part of my life.(the CDs I consider "the greatest") But I will list a few:

The Wall - Pink Floyd
Far Beyond Driven - Pantera
Are you Experienced - Jimi Hendrix(original version)
Paraniod - Black Sabbath
EZ does it - Easy E
Eat em and Smile - DLR
Master of Puppets - Metallica
could go on for a while........sry
I daydream about stabbing people in the eye with my pen, peeling off their flesh, and stapling it to the wall. Is that bad? I think I could have a nice collection.

fuzzface

Tool - Lateralus
Greatest album EVER.

Tool - Lateralus
Greatest SONG ever.