New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

Artist Support...

Started by Vi0LenTMoodSwngs, January 30, 2006, 09:53:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Aquabot

I agree with you, giving money to particular artists means others run the risk of having less money than Buckethead or Thanatopsis, for example, cause they\'re less "popular" than the latter.

gkg

i agree, Travis\' judgement on what the funds should be applied to is all i need to give what i can.

one always has the option of mailing a check with a note saying specifically what you want it to go toward (Buckethead, Thanatopsis, Vince, whatever) but in the long run Travis knows what the best application of the funds would be given the availability of the participants for various projects.  imagine how frustrating for money to be given for one project that can\'t currently be worked on because someone is touring, while other people are available to work on something that hasn\'t gotten specific donations.

yep, i trust Travis to make those calls.  that\'s why he is who he is.
Peace.

image = <i>"Blue Velvet"</i> (front of 2-sided piece) (c) georgia k griffin - all rights reserved

dirtface

QuoteI respect you thoughts in the last two posts, but for me it is and will be ok just to donate for "new projects" in general.

it gives much more freedom to the work itself;

Yeh, this is exactly why I felt a bit of trepidation when I was seconding the idea of putting up a preorder for Anatomize. I still think it is a great idea but I am not the person who is doing the work so I have no pressures to deal with regarding it. I mean the first thing I want to do is be supportive. The last thing I want to do is have my support end up being some form of burden be it in added tension and stress or what ever.  

Travis

Thank you everyone for voicing your support. I want to re empathize  that the best way to support the artists here is to buy their records. I\'ve been doing pre orders on some things to help offset the out of pocket costs of getting a CD pressed. In most cases like Thanatopsis, I was going to do that anyway. In the case of IOLM, because it could be quite a while before it recoups it\'s cost it\'s very necessary.  Also, the donate page is there to give to individual artists what you feel you may want to contribute  for any enjoyment you get from them that you haven\'t compensated them for to date.  That money goes right to the artist. The TDRS donations I put in a fund and use it to pay for CD pressings. Gorgone wouldn\'t exist if it were not for the donations generous people have made. I don\'t mean for this site to be like PBS. I would like it to be a  money making deal for both me and the artists I work with. But like PBS I like to put on shows that have a limited audience so I\'m going to try everything I need to try to get this stuff out there. Donations, downloads, auctions, CD sales, it all goes to the same place, to the people who make the music. If you want to support an individual artist, but their music. Pretty simple really. I would hate to see us go from the old record companies not paying the artists to the audience not paying the artist. You know, "who needs record companies, we can not pay the artists as easily as they didn\'t". Any way, thats what the artist support stuff is about. I think the CD\'s days are numbered and the music file will replace it. I just wanted to create another way for people whose hearts are in the right place to make sure the people who make music are not forgotten.

bigbri

Hey all,

I see your points on my "idea." It is indeed best that donations go to wherever they are needed here at TDRS. Travis knows what\'s he doing!

Again, Travis, keep on fighting the good fight.

wiccit

i was wondering if anyone new how to get in touch with vince dicola;  i need his help, opinion,  and guidence. or even your opinion would be greatly appretiated.  myspace.com/wiccit

Travis

Quotei was wondering if anyone new how to get in touch with vince dicola;  i need his help, opinion,  and guidence. or even your opinion would be greatly appretiated.  myspace.com/wiccit

Try to PM him here, he\'s a member of this forum.