New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

Good book anyone?

Started by nuff_said, April 15, 2008, 01:13:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Duckhead

November 11, 2010, 04:47:09 am #75 Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 05:44:42 am by Duckhead
Who is the greatest athlete on the planet? Michael Jordan? Lance Armstrong? Mohamed Ali? Jerry Rice? Tony Hawk? Michael Phelps? Bruce Lee?

My choice - Laird Hamilton - he rawks!! - down to earth, modest, talented and full of aloha. IMO he\'s the worlds greatest surfer and possibly the most awesome athlete of our time. This new book kinda about him, The Wave, by Susan Casey  is great! : http://www.amazon.com/Wave-Pursuit-Rogues-Freaks-Giants/dp/0767928849/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Another great read if you like The Wave is: Force of Nature, by Laird Hamilton, just a cool autobiography: http://www.amazon.com/Force-Nature-Mind-Course-Surfing/dp/1594869421  

The Wave is more about big wave surfing than Laird but there are some awesome stories about him in it. They are both worth reading whether you surf or not.

Reanimator77

Catch-22 has got to be one of my all time favorites.

If you want slaughterhouses......go The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.
Some days, it's a good day to die. And some days, it's a good day to have breakfast.

Slaw_Slinger

QuoteCatch-22 has got to be one of my all time favorites.

If you want slaughterhouses......go The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.

Both are classics.  I should re-read.

Will have to check out that Laird autobiography.  All I know about surfing I learned from watching Gidget movie reruns.

I am currently enjoying Stephen King\'s Under The Dome

shredbot

I read the Slash book not long ago, really enjoyed it!

nuff_said

woops - can\'t remember what i was linking to - that\'ll teach me to put a clue in next time, in case the link expires.

it was probably either:

Take Me to Truth, by Nouk Sanches and Tomas Vieira

The Power of Now, by Eckhart Tolle

or

A New Earth, by Eckhart Tolle

all great books on self development :)

http://www.takemetotruth.com/

Truth:  it's OK if they don't understand.  if you follow it, stay true to it, and respect it, you could be in store for the greatest journey you could ever imagine.

Chris DiCicco

Life by Keef Riffhards.... oh and  THE CHAPTERS ARE MASSIVE!

chapt 4 p99 too 149 oiy.
The Exosphere  2013

Duckhead

If anyone needs to get a gift for a child (ages 4-8 or so) then I highly recommend Skippyjon Jones. A friend gave my daughter one and it is really a fun book to read. Apparently it is a series and I am definitely going to look for more. Here is a link: Skippyjon Jones

Last night I was watching I Shouldn\'t be Alive and the story was about Steven Callahan who survived lost at sea in a raft for 76 days after his boat sunk. If you saw it and enjoyed the show then you gotta read Adrift, it goes into way more detail about his ordeal and is a great book imo. Here you go: Adrift

Chris DiCicco

B is for Beer Tom Robbins.

finished Life by Keith Richards on Monday almost took me 4 months to read.
The Exosphere  2013

nuff_said

QuoteB is for Beer Tom Robbins.

finished Life by Keith Richards on Monday almost took me 4 months to read.

LOVE Tom Robbins - haven\'t read that one yet.. only Still Life for Woodpecker and Jitterbug Perfume.  Will check it.  Thanks!
Truth:  it's OK if they don't understand.  if you follow it, stay true to it, and respect it, you could be in store for the greatest journey you could ever imagine.

Duckhead

I concur, Robbins is great -  Half asleep in frog pajamas was pretty good, not as good as Cowgirls or Roadside attraction, never read Jitterbug (it is on the "to read" list). Woodpecker is my favorite book of his so far. B for Beer looks good but I want to read Villa Incognito next when I get the chance.

Chris DiCicco

its short around 128 pages. aimed at kids but for adults.

other books I\'ve read by Tom Robbins are Skinny Legs and All, Even Cowgirls get the Blues, Wild Ducks Flying Backwards... in the waiting is Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates.

Dig?
The Exosphere  2013

Duckhead

^ how did I forget Skinny legs? that\'s a great book too, love the idea of an airstream turkey.

Another author who imo writes in a style similar to Robbins, minus the sexual overtones, is John Kennedy Toole, a confedracy of dunces. A really fun read.

Chris DiCicco

finished B is for Beer...

now Reading ;

The Mysticism of Sound and Music by Hazrat Inayat Khan

next

The Death of Bunny Munro by Nick Cave
The Exosphere  2013

Reanimator77

Finished Ulysses by James Joyce. It\'s a great view of what a person can do with the english language. Also a nice window into Irish culture. Highly recommended. ;D
Some days, it's a good day to die. And some days, it's a good day to have breakfast.

TheNose

Anything by Kurt Vonnegut, but I really recommend "Slaughterhouse Five" and "Breakfast of Champions".
"There are many ways to get from the bottom to the top... it's kind of like digging a hole."
-Herbie