New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

favorite albums of all time...

Started by Duckhead, February 02, 2010, 09:29:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Duckhead

February 02, 2010, 09:29:47 am Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 07:00:09 pm by Duckhead
I was thinking (I know I shouldn\'t)... what are some of your favorite non-Buckethead albums, one\'s that get regular rotation on your hi-fi or ipod. I could write a list of at least 100 but will limit myself to 5. After a few people list some of their favorites I\'ll post a few more (I already have 5 more ready ;) )

Anyone else listen to these?

Poco\'s self titled album

Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds

Sof Cell, Non Stop Erotic Cabaret

Pepper, Kona Town

Putumayo Arabic Groove

Slaw_Slinger

First five...

Quadrophenia - The Who

Rubber Soul - The Beatles

Exodus to Jazz - Eddie Harris

Look Around - Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66

Who\' Next - The Who

I don\'t know how to do that picture thing....

8)

ella_mental

Well, Pink Floyd is my favorite band of all time and The Wall is my favorite Floyd album so it stands to reason that The Wall is my favorite album of all time.

Hmmm...  It\'s been awhile since I\'ve listened to the whole Wall.  I\'m going to do it now.

stumpdangler

I find these types of lists vexing! But this is just a snapshot, I listen to music constantly.

In no particular order:

Led Zeppelin IV
Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy
Faith No More King for a day, Fool for a Lifetime
Metallica Kill \'em All
Mr Bungle California

I guess I\'m in a classic rock mood lately!?

Diatonic_mealworm

I thought i was the only one who listened to
Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds..haha!

Other all time favorites
Kiss "Dressed to kill"
Black Dahlia Murder "Unhallowed"
Pantera "Vulgar display of power"
Iron Maiden "Killers or Number of the beast"

but ..other than that it\'s mostly the Deli creeps and Buckethead :)
Fron son of lon.

Duckhead

Lots of good albums listed, I guess most of my albums are a little obscure - here are 5 of my favorite "classics"

Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold as Love
Van Halen II
Dire Straits - Money for Nothing
Oingo Boingo - Only a Lad
Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell (how can you not love this album?)

Slaw - Quadrophenia is Awesome, love that one!!! The movie too!

D M - stoked to know another Jeff Wayne fan - UlladubUlla! Have you listened to his Spartacus?

Ella - the Wall is great, must have listened to it and Dark Side of the Moon 1,000 times each in high school but I think Wish You Were Here is my fav.

Stump - toss up for me between Houses and Physical Graffiti. I did a term paper on Stairway to Heaven in college - gotta A!

stumpdangler

Some great stuff there Duckhead. I can\'t quibble with Physical Graffiti at all. Worth the price of admission for "In My Time of Dying" alone. Then you\'ve got the rest of the album to contend with.! SHEESH! How did one band do that? So diverse, yet cohesive. Another album A Night at the Opera by Queen I\'m gonna go get that one the next chance I get! It has been a long time since I\'ve heard that one at one sitting.

Slaw_Slinger

Ahhhh, Queen.....they were my first concert (Thin Lizzy opened)...
I love their pre-ANATO stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JofwEB9g1zg

I wrote my Social Studies Regent essay on them and British Sitcoms....now, what could that essay question have been???
 8)

ella_mental

I\'ll add David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.

stumpdangler

QuoteAhhhh, Queen.....they were my first concert (Thin Lizzy opened)...
I love their pre-ANATO stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JofwEB9g1zg

I wrote my Social Studies Regent essay on them and British Sitcoms....now, what could that essay question have been???
8)

Yes! Love that song. Thanks for the link.

Slaw_Slinger

February 04, 2010, 01:51:30 am #10 Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 02:04:56 am by Slaw_Slinger
Not an album but it\'s 51 years ago today since "the music died":

"a long, long time ago..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNdEu9s5qUU

my dad bought this 45...you had to turn it over 1/2 way through to hear the complete song.

The Cure:
 Standing on the Beach and Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me

The Beatles:
A Hards Day Night

Quincy Jones:
Go West, Man

Dave Brubeck
Time Out

I am going to look up Jeff Wayne.

Duckhead

ya know the problem with these kinds of lists are that you need one for every genre of music, and as soon as you think of 5 albums another 1, 2 or 10 pop in your head.

I forgot to mention Patti Smith - I love her! Gung Ho is a GREAT album. Anyone else like her?

Slaw - you\'re a Jazz fan?  There are so many great Jazz albums and artists, I don\'t listen to near enough. Off the top of my head a few of my Jazz fav\'s are:

Ken Nordine - Word Jazz

Michael Franks - the Art of Tea

Billy Cobham - Spectrum (Cobham is so awesome!!)

Coltane - a Love Supreme

St Germain - Tourist

Slaw_Slinger

Guess I am, Duck.  I like a lot of different types of music.  Also love Big Band and swing.  My fave jazz artisits are Sonny Rollins, Eddie Harris, Dave Brubeck (whom I see every year at the Tarrytoen Music Hall; tho\' unfortunately I think last year was the last), Modern Jazz Quartet....and on and on.
I love Doo Wop!!  And the old standards singers: Chris Connor (think we had a convo on her), June Christy etal.  And of course,  The Who, The Beatles, The Cure, Queen...and that other guy...what\'s his name? oh Buckethead!!!

I "discovered" the Tineke Postma Quartet last year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzxr76JUwBc
(very shakey; hard to watch; just listen)

went off topic...sorry!!!

8)

ella_mental

I forgot to mention Patti Smith - I love her! Gung Ho is a GREAT album. Anyone else like her?

My yoga buddy is a big Patti Smith fan.  From what I gather she plays in NYC every year a few days around NYE.  My friend goes to see her there every now and again.  She just went in Dec. and loved it, as she usually does.

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath always makes my list of top albums for straight raw sound.

Slaw_Slinger

Have you seen her new book, ella: Just Kids