New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

Re: Memory lane

Started by spencer, February 05, 2005, 06:18:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

spencer

Les Paul as in the guitarist?  I thought he was a big swing guitarist and stuff, stuff that would go in front of a big band....

Eh, now that I\'m listening yeah i guess that\'s more of a country thing.  My bad, i\'ve still got some listening to do.

Les Paul was pretty darn good though.

gkg

February 07, 2005, 05:59:41 pm #1 Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 06:02:15 pm by gkg
not to mention Leo Fender...   ;)

and Spencer, if you wanna read a fairly decent short bio on Les Paul check this out...
http://www.gould68.freeserve.co.uk/LPGPInter.htm
Peace.

image = <i>"Blue Velvet"</i> (front of 2-sided piece) (c) georgia k griffin - all rights reserved

spencer

Neat stuff.

But while Les Paul practically invented the electric guitar, Charlie Christen played one first. :)

Travis

Les Paul was a producer, musician and hit maker and inventor of the first solid body electric guitar

The wings are for looks only, it\'s just a stick of wood with pickups on it he called "the log" Charlie Christian used radio parts to amplify an existing guitar. Fender was the Henry Ford of electric guitars, not it\'s inventer but made them so cheaply any one could afford one. Sorry I didn\'t follow the link above if I\'m repeating what\'s there.

spencer

but i was right about the Charlie Christen part!  That\'s good for a youngin like me, right?

the link was an interview and bio.  It mentioned the log, but I didn\'t know much about it.

gkg

you know your stuff Spencer, that\'s for sure.  for me there is a fine line of distinction though; Charlie Christian played an electrified guitar while Les Paul invented the actual electric guitar.

sorry for any confusion Travis, i was picking up on DOD talking about how they brought about the end of Big Band, and Fender\'s inexpensive and therefore accessible instruments were a good part of that to me.
Peace.

image = <i>"Blue Velvet"</i> (front of 2-sided piece) (c) georgia k griffin - all rights reserved

spencer

gkg, techincally, an electric guitar is an electric guitar.  But the distinction you\'re thinking of is the fact that Les Paul made a solid-body electric, like Travis said.  That means it\'s all electric, and have no sound holes.

for example, les pauls are solid-bodys, as are fender strats, and buckethead\'s flying v\'s.

however, these guitars http://www.epiphone.com/images/N_05new5.jpg are semi-electrics, which was similar to what Christian used.

... I think  ;D

gkg

yep, you\'re following me - semi - or electified - not the same as a fully electric guitar.

keep learning little brother - can\'t wait to hear you play in person some day.
Peace.

spencer

Quoteyep, you\'re following me - semi - or electified - not the same as a fully electric guitar.

keep learning little brother - can\'t wait to hear you play in person some day.

Trust me, you can.  I\'m knowledgeable about my guitars and stuff, but I don\'t know shit about music and I have the feeling that my fingers will be retarded for at least another year.

Haha, actually, I think I\'m just down on myself because I can\'t play as fast as buckethead.  That\'s just my mentality; I look at my fingers and go "christ, fingers, what\'s the problem? " it\'s like i think that i\'m buckethead or vai sometimes, hahah.

gkg

don\'t hate me for this but - play, play, play (sounds nicer and more fun than "practice, practice, practice" but the premise is the same).

the speed comes once the skills and movements become the same as breathing to you.  when you run, your breathing adjusts.  you don\'t think about it, it just happens.  eventually, you will reach the same point in playing, you won\'t think about what your fingers are doing, you\'ll be thinking about the song, riff, pretty thing in the front row, etc.  the fingers will be doing what they do the way they know it needs to be done... just gotta give them time to learn to breath.
Peace.

svale

Hey D.O.D - if you like Big Band music there\'s a great Canadian blues artist - Colin James - who loves it as well and did a couple (or maybe 3) \'big band\' albums.      you can go here www.colinjames.com and then go to discography and you\'ll see the ones titled "Colin James and the Little Big Band"

peace,
L
happy trails,
SV

Chris DiCicco

the oldest Instrument that I own is a Dixie Banjolele my old man, Silvermullet, bought this thing back in 63 er 65 it\'s been restored but what gets folks is its all metal and has a off sixed skin face which was busted when I inheirited it to restore  this thing, I would find a Pic but I don\'t know where a good pic is, just my last two cents about Jazz and Big Bands I was turned on to the Turk Murphey Band from Silvermullet, me papa also plays Trombone, he played Trombone for the Army in Viet Nam but never went over there He always says if he did he probably would have gotten his Brains blown out becuase of his Number being high, lastly I have been in a long Email corospondents about my familys Musical Geneolodgy and am learning more and more of things and people not spoken about for over 75+ years? this was a fasinating post thanks for letting me butt in.

Chris
The Exosphere  2013

D.O.D

I dont like big band music. DOD

svale

LOL!!  sorry about that D.O.D.  I\'m trying to figure out why I thought you did, but in reading the posts I must being losing my mind.    :-[  

What kind of music do you listen to most?
happy trails,
SV

dirtface

There is a recent audio interview here http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4697875 90 years old and still picking!