New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

Listening to Please Tomorrow in aw!

Started by sngwthme, September 17, 2004, 07:26:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocean

I\'ll be happy to clear that up for you GkG.

The earlier quote you cited was indeed my take on "Please Tomorrow".

The later quote, re: the reply to Pax, was an observation of what they had offered as critique about PT, in that of all the tracks on the CD there were only 2 tracks "worth listening to".

Hence my statement; "...this is the better of VM\'s other "experimental" albums in that at least there is something worth listening to eventually. "  re: My observation of Pax\'s comment  regarding the PT tracks."worth listening to".  And also reflective of my personal opinion of a prior album, like TOP, in that this album at least has two songs on board that redeem the price of the CD, per Pax\'s opinion. Where as, Imho, that is not the case with an album like TOP.

I like PT. I stand by my earlier critique of this album. VM is known for experimental compelations, as his previous (pre Aragorn craze), albums prove.  TOP being one example prior to PT and PT standing as an example, imho, of one of the better of his experimental exercises.  I also admire and respect Pax for daring to post a boldly honest opinion of the album they purchased.

Yes, artists create music for music\'s sake and as an expression of their own creative spirit.
However, when one records and markets that work to the general public, they release that personal and subjective creation into the realm of  the objective critique inherent in the consumer public.

Therefore, that buyer public is entitled, even obligated, to a personal opinion of that which has evolved from a musicians personal project unto a commercial retail product.

It doesn\'t speak ill of VM to not like most of the tracks on PT. It does not detract from VM\'s talent as a musician to dislike "The Other Parade". It\'s a personal observation of the medium, music, that speaks and sounds unique to all that care to listen.

That\'s the nature of music. That\'s why some people hate Opera (I love Opera), and some have an entire library of albums. It\'s why some people listen to music and others hear the message in the music. Music is the unique Universal language .

Does that clear it up for you luv?!

Pax

Standing ovations to Ocean!

You really have a big heart and are able to see things in different ways... :D

Have a nice Sunday.

Pax

gkg

it does indeed - thank you!   :-*

as for the other remark about casting dirt - there was no dirt cast - simply stated, if one closes one\'s mind tightly in defining anything, most especially in the arts, one is short changing oneself.  at times it is even we very creative types who narrow definitions to something within the boundaries we are familiar with.  Picasso and Pollack were reviled by some of his contemporaries at the time... changing tides can be painful and experimentation is the mother of change.
Peace.

image = <i>"Blue Velvet"</i> (front of 2-sided piece) (c) georgia k griffin - all rights reserved

Pax

as for the other remark about casting dirt - there was no dirt cast - simply stated.

Living in denial, are we?  ;)

if one closes one\'s mind tightly in defining anything, most especially in the arts, one is short changing oneself.  at times it is even we very creative types who narrow definitions to something within the boundaries we are familiar with.

An open mind must mean that you accept others opinion, even if it doesn't agree with yours.

To be creative isn't just an expression within art, music, written words or such processes. It is all around us at all times, as people grow in experience and find the "grey zone" this will be more obvious. Nothing is only black or white; there are millions of various grey nuances, which I was reminded of by SNGWTHME.

No one has to be a protector for art/music or some kind of art/music-police on this Forum. A Forum is for opinions and for discussions, which means that there will always be differences in opinions otherwise a Forum would be needless.

I will give my apology to Travis for this very tragic and most negative turn in this thread. I feel that after reading six pages of ovations for a thing I cannot agree with, I have to throw in the towel and stop the kissing up. When someone is releasing something publicly he/she has to face even us who not like what he/she did.

Pax vobiscum

gkg

November 03, 2004, 05:33:19 pm #94 Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 05:36:12 pm by gkg
Pax, perhaps your handle is a misnomer?  just kidding.  you do need to look at something though - i am very comfortable with your opinion being different from mine.

i haven\'t said i disagree with your right to dislike the CD or said you have no right to a differing opinion - i completely support your right to do exactly that.

i really don\'t like certain artists and musicians, but i don\'t proclaim that they don\'t produce art and music - i simply find their work appalling to my senses.  even those horrible pie-eyed child paintings are art - they just make me gag.  certain piano concertos sound like someone trapped a cat inside the piano, but they are music (and i confess, i like a few and loath a few).

where i disagree with you, is your declaration that something isn\'t music simply because it doesn\'t suit your tastes.  i gather however that i am talking to someone very firmly attached in their own viewpoint, so i will stop trying to encourage you to see the broader picture.

by the way, though, is paxvobiscum.com your site?
Peace.

image = <i>"Blue Velvet"</i> (front of 2-sided piece) (c) georgia k griffin - all rights reserved

Pax

Pax means peace (in war and in inner peace). She is also a goddess in the roman mythology for peace. I do believe though, that she has a provocative trait... ;)

"I am a free spirit
in a free body
with a free mind.
I follow no mass
I have my own path.

Entered the grey zone
with open eyes.
Have no mercy
for leashed souls.
Free your mind
you'll be surprised.
Follow yourself
see the truth."

[size=10]/Chris Fors (-04)[/size]

paxvobiscum is most certainly not my site. I am a Swedish heathen... 8)

gkg

i was just curious about your use of it, and the phrase pax vobiscum.  i took 4 years of latin in high school and attended latin mass as a child.  of course, that was in another century.   ;)

some of the best people are heathens, swedish or otherwise.   :-*
Peace.