Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

pictures

Started by CMA, April 11, 2004, 04:40:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CMA

hey travis,
i just saw some pictures on this site on the viggo page, and i just wondered what acustic guitar buckethead was using?
there fantastic pictures too, looks like you all had a huge ammount of fun.  :)

Travis

It\'s hard to tell from the picture but I think it\'s his Yamaha.

Machete

Takamine, I believe.

BloodScrollBro

I would guess Takamine as well. It shore is purty, whatever it is...

Travis

No, it may look like it because of the eq looks like one but  Buckethead has never brought a Takamine in and they are not my favorite recording guitar. He does have two Yamaha acoustics, one is a gut string the other is steel string.

BloodScrollBro

Cool. Obviously I\'ll take your word for it! Just out of curiosity, why do you not like Takamines as a recording guitar? I have one and like it OK... but I\'d like to hear your impressions.

Machete

I have one as well, i\'ve seen Bucket with one before, so I thought maybe he would be using it. It\'s a nice acoustic guitar.

BloodScrollBro

April 14, 2004, 07:49:00 pm #7 Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 07:57:02 pm by BloodScrollBro
Actually I really like mine alot, especially live. It sounds GREAT direct to the board. Smooth action. Nice fat bottom. (I\'m partial to nice fat bottoms...)  ;)
OK, that was sexist...
But it just seemed to ... present itself...  :-X

Machete

gkg

and how are you to resist something so sweetly presented?
Peace.

image = <i>"Blue Velvet"</i> (front of 2-sided piece) (c) georgia k griffin - all rights reserved

CMA

apart from PFA, what other tdrs projects has he used his yammaha?, also doesn\'t use a chet atkins on colma?...there is a picture? of him in giantrobots hands playing it?...im not crazy...

the guitar in looks beautiful, im just trying to hear what it sounds like too, but liek travis once said most guitars buckethead touches is going to sound good.

Travis

April 14, 2004, 08:50:12 pm #11 Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 08:53:38 pm by admin
Sorry didn\'t mean to dis anyones guitar. It\'s not that I dislike Takamine guitars in general and in particular they are great live guitars and that seems to be the intent of their design. The box design and electronics seem to favor plugging straight in from the pick up. For me I much prefer to Mic the guitar. I favor a Martin with a Neumann km-84 pointed at about the 12th fret to minimize the box. A good Taylor can sound like this and I\'ve recorded some great Gibsons, like Davy Johnstones and Peter Case and some really bad ones so it all depends on the guitar. I once pulled a Takamine out of Chris Perez\'s hands while recording a track, I thought he was going to kill me till he heard the Martin I asked him to try. So it\'s not like a Takamine is a bad guitar, Chris wouldn\'t be using a guitar he didn\'t think sounds good. It\'s just for a great acoustic guitar sound you should have a great sounding in the room guitar and for me that\'s a Martin.
Buckethead has always used the two Yamahas for all the records we have done together. He likes to plug it in, but if I pester him enough I can get him to take the time to mic it and it sounds very nice (I\'m thinking of the steel string). I know he used his Yamaha steel string for electric Tears as well and it was miked.

One last thing, Buckethead has tons of guitars and there are lot of pictures of him with various guitars but that doesn\'t mean he uses them to record with. In general he favors just a couple of guitars at any given period of time.

BloodScrollBro

I get ya Travis. I like to mic (12th fret, huh? I\'ll try that next time) my Tak as well as plug it in, and mix the 2 signals together. But I\'ll agree that it\'s strength is the pickup.
Believe me, I\'ll take a Martin ANY DAY... no problem there. Well, actually the problem is the thousands of dollars they cost...
I had a nice big Yamaha a while ago (no pickup) that sounded great -- huge, full sound. Unfortunately it met an untimely demise... There was some... unpleasantness...
But thanks for the info, and your continued Travism.

Megan

maybe someone knows offhand what kind of shape Buckethead\'s yamaha is?  It doesn\'t look dreadnought or maybe it is with a cutout.  I stopped using dreadnoughts cuz I realized my right arm just couldn\'t wrap around comfortable enough- although they have that nice big sound- so now I have a fender acoustic smaller grand concert that works and sounds good- sweet over the hole and nice and raspy near the bridge- Buckethead\'s yamaha looks small on him too but I bet it\'s actually a jumbo since his height is quixotic robotic
some are born to sweet delight
some are born to endless night

BloodScrollBro

Quotequixotic robotic

... nice ...