New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

repress out of stock CD\'s

Started by Travis, April 22, 2011, 05:20:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Travis

Since the store was changed and out of stock CDs are not displayed I have been asked about repressing out of stock CD\'s. I\'m willing to do pre-sales to raise the cash to do repressing and if everyone can agree on one to start with I may try again, (maybe Peppers or Shadows). First I need to point out that I have done this a handful of times now with vary mixed results. People don\'t seem to realize how slow going sales of CD\'s get after the initial release.

The last two I did was Slaughterhouse and Real Diamond. I had them up for pre-sales for months. Finally we hit around fifty and I thought we can\'t turn back so I pressed them. It\'s been over a year now and we still haven\'t reached the break even point on the repressing for those.

I did a poll asking if you would be interested in a repressing and naturally there were lots of votes to do so but when it came time to pre-buy only 10 percent of those that voted actual did so over months. This time I won\'t do a poll, I need those that are interested to network a bit ahead of time and know that it will be a limited time offer, maybe a couple weeks of pre-sale. I would set a number say 80 that needs to be reached in that time frame. The poll will be the sales. If the number isn\'t reached that there will be no pressing.

I\'m open to suggestions. I would like to never have out of stock CD\'s but the reality is it\'s more difficult then that.

I started this thread to gauge interest and ideas. Let\'s see what we can come up with.

Jowaxe

Good post Travis. You can never rely on intentions...you can only rely on cash...

If people are willing, they should pre-order (pay for) the cd and once there are 50 (or whatever the magic break even number is), then the discs are pressed and delivered. They should know that this may take a while...

You could throw on an expiration date...i.e. If within 6 months from the initial offer, you don\'t have enough pre-orders, then everyone gets their money back.

This way there is really no risk to anyone...

However, i admit i don\'t know all of the details that come into play, but based on my knowledge, that may work.

It all depends if people are willing to put up the cash knowing they may not get the album for a while, or not at all.

*shrug*

firefitz

April 22, 2011, 07:04:23 pm #2 Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:06:39 pm by firefitz
Hmmm. kind of drawing a blank with ideas, sorry. I will tell you what i\'ll do Travis to help you and my fellow bots. For one cd, I will throw in $ 100 to get peppers rolling off the press, seriously, that is the kind of person i am. It\'s not much, but a start. If you can\'t trust a fireman, who can you trust. Email me if interested. Although there is one catch..........tell B to get his arse to the motor city. Just joking, sort of  ;D.  firemanfitz65@yahoo.com

Bucketfel

i wouldnt have a problem if i bought a ticket for the repressing of some album.

Still, i would be kind of worried for those who would like to have their copies within a time frame.

This is certanly very complicated >:(
He works on the farm,
He makes fun of me,
But thats the lats thing youll see,
Cuz im gone use him for something that you wont understand

Spinal Clock #199
Holiday Album

DroidHunter13

There could be an expiration date for pre-orders for the albums, but no set number of pre-orders, and whoever pre-orders the album before the expiration date gets that repressed album.  Just a thought.

Bucketfel

QuoteThere could be an expiration date for pre-orders for the albums, but no set number of pre-orders, and whoever pre-orders the album before the expiration date gets that repressed album.  Just a thought.

I think that the problem is that when Travis represses an album, he cant repress 5 or 21, he needs to repress a certain ammount in which he can make a little profit. And 5 or 21 albums isnt enough, i think
He works on the farm,
He makes fun of me,
But thats the lats thing youll see,
Cuz im gone use him for something that you wont understand

Spinal Clock #199
Holiday Album

Raw Ketchup

I have no ideas but I want Shadows Between the Sky.

I\'ll trade a copy of the Holiday LE for it.

kevindanielcahill

The last re-pressing of the cds was pretty decent.
You bought it and waited for the rest of the numbers to jump up, but with that you got a free download from the bandcamp to tide you over until everyone esle chipped in. I think thats the best idea, obviously if you dont mind waiting. Shouldnt there be a poll to decide which cd\'s get repressed tho? :-*

Boxenstien

if you repress peppers ghost with a little different cover image ill buy a copy or two, or three  ;D

Blueprints #220
Best Regards #64
BHL Art #6
Spinal Clock #3

stumpdangler

I would be interested if there were a bonus track or two.
This suggestion didn\'t fly last time, but I think its worth a try.

It would be an effective marketing tool, even if its different cover art, live tracks or whatever.

In Search Of The

Unreleased songs always get people drooling. I\'m sure Buckethead has a few flying round?

I\'d probably buy every repressing twice. You never know when it\'d happen again.

Also, is there much harm in a slight price increase? 10/15 dollars seems staggeringly cheap considering the RRP of most albums out there. I live in the UK and even with shipping it\'s around the same price each time. 20 dollars an album wouldn\'t do much harm, but makes all the difference in sales (I imagine).

kevindanielcahill

extra tracks and a new cover here or there would really make the world off difference. Here Here! ;)

Travis

So you see the problem. I don\'t mind setting up a pay what you like pre-sale. Or you can buy multiple copies if you want. I would rather not think of this as a charity. Or resell to the same people who already have it by adding a widget. It\'s really a supply and demand thing. Are there enough people who want a copy of an out of stock item to justify a repressing?
I might repress as a digipak if that\'s adds some incentive for hard core collectors. But again that\'s relying on the core buying base that already has the item. I thought about a "on demand" sale for some items but I don\'t think that many are interested in CD\'Rs. I\'m still looking for ideas.

TheNose

I\'d jump on the chance to get Pepper\'s Ghost and Shadows Between the Sky when/if they are repressed.  
"There are many ways to get from the bottom to the top... it's kind of like digging a hole."
-Herbie

PawnBot

BR #560
SC #224
LE Art #203 - #197
LE Christmas CD