New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

This sucks

Started by Bucketdog, January 20, 2011, 02:16:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

39reasons

Well, obviously because the artist received money for it at one point in time. If it\'s a "used" CD, common sense dictates that it was purchased "new" somewhere along the line. The artist received their cut then, as opposed to never when you illegally download.

There is zero comparison between buying a used CD and illegally downloading music.

Didn\'t someone originally buy the cd to make it available to download?  I can\'t imagine EVERY single download option came from a singular source.

BelieveIntheBucket

January 21, 2011, 11:32:36 pm #31 Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 11:34:19 pm by BelieveIntheBucket
buckethead gets hypothetical money from sharing albums because that is how his fan base grows.. havent u ever heard that sharing is caring?

people mainly only share shitty mp3s.. then if they like it enough they will either buy the hq version or a shirt or go to a show

plus 50% of his stuff is OOP and only used. so he would only get hypothetical money from that too

Bucketdog

January 22, 2011, 12:06:14 am #32 Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 12:07:56 am by Bucketdog
^^^ I own a business, come to New York, work for me and I\'ll hypothetically pay you. I think it would be almost better than hiring illegal aliens.
Joe!!!! Could you fix me a ham and cheese sandwich?!!! Joe!!!! I want some butter for my chips!!!! Joe!!!!

Nubbins

Didn\'t someone originally buy the cd to make it available to download?  I can\'t imagine EVERY single download option came from a singular source.

So are you suggesting that a CD being passed on to a few different owners over the years is comparable to the money losses encountered by torrenting albums? This, I highly doubt.

Bucketfel

QuoteThis shit just warms my heart knowing my fellow bots loyalty to buckethead and Travis. I hope they know we give a shit, play are part in not condoning this thievery and strive to make sure they get taken care of for their efforts. They deserve it, as we deserve to be taken care of for our own hard work.

If i hadnt ilegally downloaded Jordan and then heard plenty more on Youtube, and then downloading all of them. I wouldnt be here in the first place and my CD collection wouldnt be growing at the rate is going now.

;D ;D

Sadly ilegal downloading is part of the same coin and i usually like to see both sides. If it wasnt for Buckethead\'s music, i would have never suggested to myself the remote idea of actually buying the albums mostly because when i was young my thought was that people only download popular music so in that case why bother buying the album, there are a lot of people who will. But in the case of more unknown acts there is a value there. I feel like were not just another 15 bucks to the account of some artist but that were actually doing something great for someone who has dedicated their lives to music and its music i love to hear.
But again that is all just thanks to ilegal downloading, it just gives artists a fair chance of competing for attention. They do not depend on MTV anymore or a record label that do not care about the artist just the money they bring.

Ive been give plenty of joy thanks to Buckethead music so in return i must repay the favour by buying the album. Its just the law of Equivalent Exchange.But again, none of this rambling or beign here would have happened if i didnt randomly found a tall guy playing with a bucket on his head. :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D
He works on the farm,
He makes fun of me,
But thats the lats thing youll see,
Cuz im gone use him for something that you wont understand

Spinal Clock #199
Holiday Album

koopatroopa

If i hadnt ilegally downloaded Jordan and then heard plenty more on Youtube, and then downloading all of them. I wouldnt be here in the first place and my CD collection wouldnt be growing at the rate is going now.

Isn´t Jordan available for download legally?

robotpie3000

Isn´t Jordan available for download legally?

yes it was released as an $0.99 mp3 download on Amazon on Aug 18 2009. But I would love to see Jordan on an album though.

SheMouse

The only reason it occurred to me to even buy music was because of Buckethead. I didn\'t download anything (didn\'t have a computer to do that on) but I did watch countless videos from Youtube on my phone. His music was something special and I absolutely love the character that is Buckethead. I think he\'s a really great guy, and he\'s my favorite musician. He\'s inspired me to start playing guitar (In fact, my friend\'s giving me his old Fender Tuesday). Then I saw all the stuff he does for his fans, such as signing large batches of CDs, releasing lots of Limited Edition stuff.  I respect him.

It\'s very, very easy to find a Buckethead discography. Much easier than buying albums, especially with someone who releases so many that it\'s almost impossible for someone like myself to keep up. But because I respect him, I\'m not going to go and download his stuff.

ElectricInfinity

QuoteThe only reason it occurred to me to even buy music was because of Buckethead. I didn\'t download anything (didn\'t have a computer to do that on) but I did watch countless videos from Youtube on my phone. His music was something special and I absolutely love the character that is Buckethead. I think he\'s a really great guy, and he\'s my favorite musician. He\'s inspired me to start playing guitar (In fact, my friend\'s giving me his old Fender Tuesday). Then I saw all the stuff he does for his fans, such as signing large batches of CDs, releasing lots of Limited Edition stuff.  I respect him.

It\'s very, very easy to find a Buckethead discography. Much easier than buying albums, especially with someone who releases so many that it\'s almost impossible for someone like myself to keep up. But because I respect him, I\'m not going to go and download his stuff.

I agree with that. That\'s also the same mentality that brought me to support other artists as well, and by buying their music and not downloading.

Downloading/sharing whatever you want to call it, does have its goods and does have its bads like anything else (It probably weighs more on the bad aspect). However, like some people already mentioned, it does give the artist some attention in a largely populated mainstream music industry.

I\'m not going to lie...I came across Buckethead by accident while searching for instrumental guitar songs (I wasn\'t even a huge guitar fan back then). The first song I came across was \'Electric Tears\'. After listening to this song and a few others, I built up a lot of respect and admiration for the guy who was playing (like others, he even inspired me to take up my guitar again). After reading and looking Buckethead up to find how I can gain more access to his music (someone who has never heard of him before, let alone, barely anyone within a 100 km radius from my home knew who he was), I came across tdrsmusic. That\'s how I found out about him and now, he has earned someone who loves and supports his music. That also, taught me something else. My actions translated similarly to how I now perceive and support other artists. Thus, you can definitely say that sharing music definitely has a plus side to it (it introduced me to Bucket and taught me a life lesson about the true value of things), but like a lot of other things in this world, people sometimes tend to abuse the system.

To sum this all up, once you build that level of respect and admiration for someone it becomes almost impossible to commit a wrong act or take advantage. This does not just apply to musicians, but also to any person for whom it matters.
Colossal Sound Surfer - Visit my haunted URLand:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ElectricInfinity?feature=mhum
It's your home too :)

Bucketdog

^^^ this is a great post
Joe!!!! Could you fix me a ham and cheese sandwich?!!! Joe!!!! I want some butter for my chips!!!! Joe!!!!

SheMouse

Electric, that was one of the most epic posts I\'ve seen in a long time.

Bucketfel

i love how this thread just sudently morphed from a "Ilegal downloading" thread to a "how did you meet Buckethead" thread ;D ;D
He works on the farm,
He makes fun of me,
But thats the lats thing youll see,
Cuz im gone use him for something that you wont understand

Spinal Clock #199
Holiday Album

ElectricInfinity

^^^Lol, it didn\'t get there quite yet, nor was it intended to get there...

The aim of these previous posts (mine included) were to basically justify the reasons for why sharing/downloading music might be initially useful and beneficial to both the artist and the fan, and how that contributes to artist support in the long run. I only shared my experience as to how I came across Bucket, in order to justify my argument above.

If you ask me, I think it projects the right mentality and approach that is expected regarding the sharing of music when someone puts it out there (you initially try it out, and then support if you like....here\'s an analogy you might want to consider....if a friend asks you, and you lend him a CD, your aim/expectation would be for him to listen to it and then perhaps do the same as you did (by buying the CD if he likes it). However, you never know people\'s true intentions, probably not even that of your friend....same thing with online music sharing applies (whoever is posting the sharing link might be naive/blind to the consequences that could follow, and hence the abuse of the system).

The people who download and continue to download more further down the line, without appreciating the work of the artist are insensitive, and will probably have a hard time understanding the true value of things in life.

On a different note, I should really consider sticking to a word limit in my posts lol :P
Colossal Sound Surfer - Visit my haunted URLand:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ElectricInfinity?feature=mhum
It's your home too :)

In Search Of The

I\'m not going to voice my opinion on piracy because it\'s not something I want to go into, but I will say this, and I\'ve only really noticed it due to this topic.

I\'ve not come across fans so dedicated and so protective of Buckethead and his work. Sure, all fans are against the piracy of their favourite artists, but with Big B it\'s different and I know why. Buckethead is one of the only musicians I know who\'s so direct with his fans, and this is coming from a man in a mask who has barely uttered a sentence. Already, he\'s closer to us than any band can be with their fans. You can feel it in every limited edition he releases, when he leaves him name and a little doodle on the front, that\'s yours. It\'s that that makes piracy so tragic - that someone would want to steal that. I know they aren\'t all LE but I\'m using that as an example.

The thing is, the reason why piracy exists is the decline of music. Call me nuts, but it makes sense - why would a kid with just enough money for an album spend it on something that might be 90% crap? Of course they\'re going to download it, while Buckethead has been churning quality music out since I\'ve been a small child, both in bands and solo. He\'s a workaholic and it\'s a testament to the music he makes. Honestly, I could listen to him for the rest of my life, just him, and not feel shortchanged.

Duckhead

January 23, 2011, 08:31:27 am #44 Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 08:37:50 am by Duckhead
the reason why piracy exists is the decline of music
I don\'t agree with this statement - there is tons on music being made right now as we speak, lot\'s of it is real good. I believe the main reason that many people download illegally, or burn cds that they get from a friend or the library is because they have seen some huge a-holes like Gene Simmons, Axl Rose, Liam Gallagher, Steven Tyler, Ted Nugent and ego inflated music producers and the like on interviews and TV reality shows and they are loaded with "entitlement" not to mention jewels, houses, cars, motorcycles, artwork...blah blah blah. Fans see that and think, they don\'t need my money. Personally I don\'t even want their music but want to download it illegally just to piss them off.

But it\'s not just the "wealthy jerks" that make people download, it could be your favorite musician. C\'mon if you like Snoop or Metallica don\'t tell me you think they need more money. But even more than the image of these musicians sleeping in mattresses filled with bengamins, music is defiant. Many of the messages are to resist, rebel, fight authority, non-conform and empower yourself. Could that message be interpreted by some as "I dare you to steal me?". Or when you hear that some group trashed a hotel room, "hey they\'re into disrespect and so am I so I\'m gonna steal some music". I feel that some artists are to blame for piracy more than the fans.

The big problem I see is when that attitude permeates into indy and hard working musicians and small labels. It can really subvert alot of income to them and these are the guys who DESERVE the money. I\'m with you In Search Of The on feeling never cheated by Big B or Travis, I have been touched by them not only by the music and hard work but by the way they engage with their fans. I\'m happy to give them money when I can but if Buckethead ever comes on stage with a diamond studded mask and bucket and charges $50 for a cheap seat I may reconsider. ;)

EDIT - one last point I want to make is that music IS magic. There is nothing on this earth other than the love of my wife and children that can change my mood in a heartbeat, make me cry, make me laugh, make me jump outta bed and dance in my underwear, give me a tingly sensation in my gut that makes me feel like a giddy schoolgirl just by recalling a riff or lyric in my head. Yeah - music is magic and who doesn\'t want a little of that even if they have to steal it?