Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

Rocky IV synths?

Started by micke7, May 17, 2010, 01:51:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

micke7

May 17, 2010, 01:51:22 pm Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 12:48:36 pm by micke7
Hi guys,

This is my first post here so I want to say hello to you all:)

I\'m a big fan of Vince DiCola\'s synth-heavy soundtrack to Rocky IV and was wondering what synthesizers & samplers were used in the making of the score.

I was googling around and found the following gearlist (supposedly coming from DiCola himself?):

Moog Modular
EMU Modular
OBERHEIM Modular
ROLAND Jupiter 8
YAMAHA DX-7
YAMAHA TX-816 (8 DX-7\'s in a rack)
OBERHEIM OB-X
SEQUENTIAL CIRCUITS Prophet VS
MOOG MiniMoog
PPG Wave
EMU Emulater 2
AKAI S-950
AKAI S-1000
ROLAND D-50 and (D-550)
KORG M1R

Now, that\'s an inpressive list of synths indeed but obviously there\'s quite a few errors in there.

Considering that the soundtrack was recorded around the fall of \'85 the following stuff could not have been used in Rocky IV:

SCI Prophet VS: circa summer 1986
Roland D-50/550: 1987
Akai S-950 and S-1000: 1988
Korg M1R: 1988-89

Also, I\'m not sure what\'s meant by "Oberheim modular".
I guess it could refer to a modularized Oberheim 4-voice or 8-voice polyphonic synth but am not sure.

I\'d really appreciate if someone here could shed some ligHt on this. I noticed DiCola himself has posted on this forum so hopefully he can chime in here to set things straight.

Thanks in advance

Mikael L

micke7

May 18, 2010, 02:36:08 pm #1 Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:36:40 pm by micke7
Anyone?

micke7

May 19, 2010, 01:31:04 pm #2 Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 01:34:09 pm by micke7
Vince, are you there?

I think you\'re the only one who can help me with this.

Mikael

Moroder20

I think - Oberheim 8 voice
           - Emu Emulator 2
           - Moog
           - Fairlight CMI 3 serie (drum and percussion with the fairlight too)

Personally i love that sound  in the training montage (the self sound in the trailer)

micke7

Here\'s a quote from the CD liner notes:

"And we got that beefy, fat and colorful sound from using big modular synthesizers like The Moog, Emu and Oberheim. They had a real analog feel, not like what you can get from today\'s computer plug-ins."

As for the Fairlight, I do recall to have read somewhere that Vince used one on this score so you\'re probably right about that.

I just wish Vince could shed some light on this.

Mikael

Slunk_Lord

Your guess is as good as mine mate. ;D
Let your inspirations flow into whatever you do.

Vince DiCola

To Mikael,

Thanks for your inquiry and comments about the keyboard gear that was used on my Rocky IV score.  You\'re correct in your observation that a few items on that gear list obviously could not have been used on that particular project since those specific items did not exist at that time.  I\'ve received several requests for information about the gear that was used on movie scores and other projects I\'ve been involved with throughout the years, and considering how long ago some of these projects took place, and how much gear was used, a few inconsistencies here and there are to be expected!  (I HAVE used everything on that list at one time or another for various projects.)

Regarding the Oberheim modular synth, that is definitely the name of the synthesizer my good friend (and synth programmer extraordinaire) Casey Young brought to the sessions for all 3 major movies in which I was involved with the music...  "Staying Alive", "Rocky IV" and "Transformers: The Movie".   (Casey also owns the Moog and Emu modular synths that were used on those projects.)  I don\'t recall the number of voices on each of the modular synths we used, but I can tell you that it was pure ecstasy to play these magnificent instruments and have an opportunity to incorporate their awesome sound into my movie (and other) work.  It must be mentioned, however, that having access to the gear itself is one thing (and actually less than half the battle)...  It\'s the programmer/sound designer who makes a big difference, and Casey Young is excellent at what he does and has always had a great musical sensibility when it comes to creating the best (not to mention the most inspiring) starting point for a particular sound/part we\'re working on at any given time, and then following through with all the editing that\'s often required to get all parts to \'sit\' in the track just right. Casey was never one to rely heavily on synth presets, as so many synth programmers back in the day seemed to be and so many so-called "sound designers" are today - and maybe more so now than ever before.  For better or worse, Casey taught me the value of \'tweaking\', and that\'s how I still approach all my programming/sound design work.)

Obviously, synths played a much bigger and more central role in my Transformers score than they did on my Rocky IV material.  Since I was forced to come up with so much music in a comparatively short amount of time for Transformers, Casey and his gear played a more more crucial role in that music.  We had a blast, though, and I miss the days of reaching up and manipulating all those knobs, switches, faders, etc., and coming up with so many different sounds, each of which have their own character and charm.

Casey Young quickly became a valued member of my \'team\', I learned a lot from him, and I still have a strong affinity for synthesizers in general - analog AND digital.

I hope this addresses your question sufficiently.  Thanks for expressing interest.

Vince

Best Regards

Best Regards #102
Spinal Clock #64
Limited Edition Canvas #174 and #182
Limited Edition Holiday Greeting Card CD
Pieces - I Need 5 Minutes Alone
Bucketheadland
Phonopsychograph Cassette

fulvio86

September 02, 2010, 04:29:27 pm #8 Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 04:30:05 pm by fulvio86
this is another question for vince:

How do you write soundtracks? i mean, what is or are the process behind a soundtrack? You have to do it without seeing the movie? or what else?

Thanks!!!

Goog things come to those who wait!!!

fulvio86

Please, i need your help.  ;D
I need to get in contact with Vince. I\'ve already send him a private message, but it seems he\'s not here since August. :o :o :o   So please, it\'s very important for me, if someone knows him please tell him he\'s got a message ok?!  ::)
Thank you very much.
Fulvio
Goog things come to those who wait!!!