New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

"30 Greatest Shredders of All Time" GW 1

Started by stumpdangler, October 31, 2010, 10:04:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpdangler

Congrats to Buckethead for being listed as one of Guitar World\'s "30 Greatest Shredders of All Time!" in the December 2010 issue.

The players aren\'t listed in any particular numerical order, instead they list three eras; The Old School, The Golden Age, and The Modern Era, Buckethead is prominently featured in the Modern Era with a nice write up on his Monsters and Robots album.

This is definitely a well thought out and conceived list, although it is skewed towards metal it is quite diverse, especially in the modern era listing Buckethead among Brad Paisley, Derek Trucks, Trey Anastasio, Dimebag Darrell and others.

Congrats, Buckethead!

slunkatron

Monsters and Robots is a great album, but there are a ton of great Buckethead albums.  I wonder why that one, and only one?  You\'d think if they did their research there would be a lot of albums mentioned.

Bucketdog

^^^they prolly based it on his best selling album. Guitar magazine does commercialized shit like that. They really don\'t recognize underground marvels like buckethead too much. It doesn\'t sell.... It\'s bull**** if you ask me. Good he made it though!
Joe!!!! Could you fix me a ham and cheese sandwich?!!! Joe!!!! I want some butter for my chips!!!! Joe!!!!

noodles

TheNose

He\'s one of the greatest guitar players of all time, in any genre, actually. ;D

Congrats Buckethead on making the list of GW\'s Greatest Shredders!
"There are many ways to get from the bottom to the top... it's kind of like digging a hole."
-Herbie

stumpdangler

Each player had one album and one song mentioned as represenative of the players abilities. The song was Jordan which was available as a part of the Guitar Hero series and later as an mp3 download. It hasn\'t appeared as a cd release except possibly to radio stations to tie in with other Guitar Hero stuff afaik. I know I have heard it as bumper music for talkovers.

I have no idea if the self/independent releases that Buckethead puts out on his own or with others provide review copies to magazines for publication purposes...so as to why Monsters and Robots and not something else...It is readily available and had a big push from his record company at the time so it is well known and also includes some of his best work to this day along with top notch production value.

Reanimator77

November 01, 2010, 11:47:23 pm #6 Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 11:48:53 pm by Reanimator77
Guitar World had Buckethead featured in a cult heroes article back in April 2009. They had his signature track as Jordan of course, and Dreamatorium as recommended album. I was psyched, not only becuase that was the first time I heard Bucket mentioned in the mainstreem, but also because it had Robert Fripp, Buzz Osborne, and Adam Jones in the issue too.

GW april issue 2009, pg. 59: "Sure, he can shred at superhuman speeds, but he also coaxes soothing melodies from his guitar that can make listeners weep like children".
Some days, it's a good day to die. And some days, it's a good day to have breakfast.

robotpie3000

As i recall Buckethead\'s picture was on the front cover of one of the Guitar World magazine issues.

captaindozak

A truly great feat for certain.  No doubt one of the greatest PLAYERS of all time.  I think those other guys are great also, but no where near as diverse, and no where near the skills to be a shredder.  When I think of shredders I think of fast, and skillful.  The Paul Gilberts, the Satrianis, the Rippers.  I think Trey and Brad Paisley are great players, but shredders? Not sure about that.  But either way, at least BH has gotten some more props on being the man.  I think we all know on this site, the he is THE ultimate player.
Dozak
The Captains of North America
http://www.youtube.com/user/CaptainDozak?feature=mhum

Bucketfel

QuoteAs i recall Buckethead\'s picture was on the front cover of one of the Guitar World magazine issues.

i remember one like that but he was in the cover, along with 300 other ppl and Buckethead was like at the back of everyone else so it didnt seem quite big. Maybe they left him at the end cuz hes too tall ;D
He works on the farm,
He makes fun of me,
But thats the lats thing youll see,
Cuz im gone use him for something that you wont understand

Spinal Clock #199
Holiday Album

BelieveIntheBucket

i remember one like that but he was in the cover, along with 300 other ppl and Buckethead was like at the back of everyone else so it didnt seem quite big. Maybe they left him at the end cuz hes too tall ;D
if it make you feel better, jimi hendrix (who has been recognized as on of the greatest guitarists) was also in the back row and herman li (who has been recognized as one of the worst guitarists) was in the front row XD

Bucketfel

if it make you feel better, jimi hendrix (who has been recognized as on of the greatest guitarists) was also in the back row and herman li (who has been recognized as one of the worst guitarists) was in the front row XD

amazingly that does makes me feel better but if i was remotely interested in recognition i wouldnt be here in the first place
He works on the farm,
He makes fun of me,
But thats the lats thing youll see,
Cuz im gone use him for something that you wont understand

Spinal Clock #199
Holiday Album

BelieveIntheBucket

i like how we both used the wrong form of \'make\'