New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

Buckethead\'s current material review/rant

Started by Brian0192, October 17, 2010, 05:44:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian0192

Let me start by saying I am a long time fan of Buckethead. I have owned his entire solo discography at one point or another, and I have about 20-25 of his works, with him and other artists, on my iPod. I have seen him once live, and anything i\'ve heard by him I\'ve either owned a hard copy of or purchased legally as an MP3.

I\'m no stranger to anything he does, and some of his work is great, and he has written some great music over the years, in all different contexts, taking influence from many styles of not only music, but from the abstract and strange literature and movies that he seems to be so very fond of. This, along with his specific general note selection and phrasing makes all of his music that spans so many different types of moods, emotions and genres "Buckethead," and only him.

Now on to his new works. A lot of it sounds like filler thrown in -- Best Regards may have been the biggest waste of $75 I\'ve ever made in my life. Very few tracks were actually even anything, it was thoughtless and motionless interplay between the three. There is a gem or two here and there however. It\'s painful to sit through this album and try to capture anything meaningful.

Spinal Clock as well did not emit anything from me. My friend picked that one up, and after hearing the album I decided I wasn\'t too willing to give money in support of that. Very ambient, but that\'s about that. Just because it\'s ambient, doesn\'t mean it has to be so lifeless and dry. There\'s no reason to give it another listen.

I have Kind Regards and Brain as Hamenoodle sitting on the desk next to me.
I\'ve yet to get to Brain and BH\'s personal album, but I can only assume it will be very similar to what I\'m hearing on Kind Regards, but even more stripped down and unattractive.

To me, it seems like Buckethead was ill, sitting in a quiet room in a hospital bed, surfing the internet about himself for the very first time on a laptop. He saw how rabid his fans are, and decided that he could release practically anything for unreasonable prices and profit with little work on his part, releasing meaningless music and also packaging stupid (but effective) "signings" and drawings.

I\'m lost practically all respect I have had for the man, who I thought lived and breathed for music. Could this not be his mindset? Maybe, but that just means the man has lost his character...which is even worse.

I\'m a huge fan of Buckethead, and at one point ranked him among my favorites for his music. I have read discussions about this on these forums, and you all seem to just believe that it\'s his manner of expression, how he feels right now. Maybe you\'re right...but no amount of the fact that it\'s what the man wants to say, makes it any more appealing as music. I\'m not particularly fond of Lady Gaga, but she\'s expressing herself...But I don\'t like the way she expresses herself! Should I still buy her work? I don\'t think so.

Please take this as it is with an open mind, I hope I have some supporters. I am basically trying to say that, Buckethead as a performing artist, is doing the worst thing a performing artist could ever do: taking advantage of a passionate fanbase. That\'s a bit much for me.

pinkin66

I am just wondering where all these speculations are always coming from, buckethead was sitting in his room surfing the web about himself for the first time. Hahaha.

I don\'t know how long anyone who has been complaining has been listening to buckethead but to say that this ambience and improv is a new thing couldn\'t be more wrong. If we look at some of his first releases ever the company 91 series, that is the heaviest improv I have ever heard. Or the bastard noise album from 98 or all of death cube k releases for the ambience complaint. Even In Search of The...

Granted I appreciate all these releases or I wouldn\'t be a Buckethead fan. Everyone has their own tastes in music but to attack Buckethead as though he is taking advantage of his fans I think is going a little far considering he released this type of material long before even having this size of a fanbase. I love the new releases because it is Buckethead\'s style. Buckethead has the opportunity that many never get to not be influenced by a recording corporation and to follow his own path and make the music he seems fit. You are entitled to your opinion about the type of music you like but do not act as though this isn\'t classic Buckethead or attack him.

I am just getting sick of reading these posts. This is Buckethead like it or not...(thats my opinion)

noodles

October 17, 2010, 07:00:19 pm #2 Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 07:02:07 pm by noodles
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but its simple in my mind, if you dont like it, dont buy it., yeah sure, Buckethead\'s release\'s at this point in time are nothing that would blow your mind away like other things he has put out, but again, they aren\'t horrible by any means.

I will agree with you on Best Regards, the majority of it was noodling, but there where indeed 1 or 2 tracks i really liked.

Spinal clock was ok, there was a few tracks on there i liked better than others, but none of it was unlistenable, all very experimental, if people are open to new things like that, like myself, good for them.

Kind Regards is definatley more structured than Best Regards was, named tracks and much more shortened,
structured songs are in the majority and some noodling here and there as-well, plus there is more variety and more room for each individual artist to expand on their own music style seeing as they have their own disc this time around.

Brain as Hammenoodle, is a pretty good album if your into Buckethead\'s works with Brain like Kevin\'s Noodle House, alot of real cool bass binges in this, and naturally brain is always a great welcomed addition.

Bucketdog

Yes the new releases are horrible... Let me name a few great albums to put it into perspective - inbread mtn, Giant robot, giant robot demo tape, peppers ghost, elephant mans alarm clock, crime slunk scene, slaughter house on the prarie, colma, electric tears, and kaledioscalp - all epic albums, some of the most amazing instrumental rock you\'ll ever hear on this planet!

Niass, ff, best regards and sc were terrible! And buckefel don\'t try and defend those albums because you steal all the buckethead\'s music you listen to, so you\'re opinion doesn\'t count.

Bottom line - the new releases are nothing compared to what big-b is capable of. Noodle noodle noodle noodle record it and sell it.
Joe!!!! Could you fix me a ham and cheese sandwich?!!! Joe!!!! I want some butter for my chips!!!! Joe!!!!

Brian0192

QuoteI am just wondering where all these speculations are always coming from, buckethead was sitting in his room surfing the web about himself for the first time. Hahaha.

I don\'t know how long anyone who has been complaining has been listening to buckethead but to say that this ambience and improv is a new thing couldn\'t be more wrong. If we look at some of his first releases ever the company 91 series, that is the heaviest improv I have ever heard. Or the bastard noise album from 98 or all of death cube k releases for the ambience complaint. Even In Search of The...

Granted I appreciate all these releases or I wouldn\'t be a Buckethead fan. Everyone has their own tastes in music but to attack Buckethead as though he is taking advantage of his fans I think is going a little far considering he released this type of material long before even having this size of a fanbase. I love the new releases because it is Buckethead\'s style. Buckethead has the opportunity that many never get to not be influenced by a recording corporation and to follow his own path and make the music he seems fit. You are entitled to your opinion about the type of music you like but do not act as though this isn\'t classic Buckethead or attack him.

I am just getting sick of reading these posts. This is Buckethead like it or not...(thats my opinion)

As I\'ve said, I\'m a long time buckethead fan. He\'s very much always done these types of things, but there was always more of an order, passion and production to them that\'s dissapeared in my opinion. Not changed, but just not there. Something\'s off with these recordings in my opinion.

ilikeheadcheese

Either way, I still love what music he does put out.  I haven\'t received KR and BaH in the mail yet.  I think his newer stuff just needs a little bit longer time to get used to, at least for me, I fell in love with Spinal Clock as soon as I put the album on  ;D  Best Regards on the other hand it still taking a little bit of time for me to grasp what\'s happening on some of the tracks but, Brain seems to be dominating the whole set.  Hopefully BaH isn\'t like this and the bass playing is just as amazing as all the other bass tunes/jams we\'ve all heard and loved from buckethead ;D

I wonder if buckethead reads these posts.
ISOT #921
Cyborg Slunks #397
Blueprints #405
Metatron Body Bag ed.
Painting 5 #96
Best Regards #298
Spinal Clock #349
BHL
DOTR
I Need 5 Minutes Alone
SOTS
painting 213
Greeting Card CD

jigsaw

you are what you is

pinkin66

I completely respect your opinion on the releases don\'t get me wrong. I just don\'t share your opinion. That\'s that trouble/beauty of music it is completely subjective.

I am just stating that it is not a new development (the improv and noodling) Bucket has had these albums all along and as in the past as now I like those tracks as well the freedom in Big b\'s music.

Let\'s all remember we are all fans of the same artist (Buckethead) which is rare in itself we just stand on opposing sides.

Boxenstien

Blueprints #220
Best Regards #64
BHL Art #6
Spinal Clock #3

gb714us

As I\'ve said, I\'m a long time buckethead fan. He\'s very much always done these types of things, but there was always more of an order, passion and production to them that\'s dissapeared in my opinion. Not changed, but just not there. Something\'s off with these recordings in my opinion.
First off, think about it.. we dont know what buckets status was at the time they recorded any of the recent albums, all we know is that he was hurt in some form. I mean cant you just appreciate that? He releases albums, although they arent the greatest, to his fanbase WHILE hes supposed to be resting up. Give this guy props, and just that alone should make his fanbase appreciate him. Yes you do have a free opinion, but i mean to use that opinion up as saying how you think these new albums are terrible? Thats quite low. If you are a big b fan you should question yourself on that. Buckethead isnt ALWAYS gonna release what YOU like, he releases what he wants and none of us know what his future releases will be like. Who knows? People might reallly dig this new stuff, i do. If you dont like what he\'s releasing then dont buy it, let there be a review out and judge buckets work based off that review. Another thing to think about, how much has Big B released this whole year?? SBTS, BR, KR, SC. 2 Albums and 2 Sets. In less than a year. How often do other artists release this much? ALLLL this while he is injured! Respect should be given, not rants. Just stop, be patient and enjoy him while we have him.

BTW Bucketdog, grow up.. bucketfel is a fan of Big B no matter what. If he steals music, then so be it. Honestly who cares? You wouldnt dwell on the fact that he steals music from Big B and just seek revenge on him 24/7. Let him deal with that fact that hes cheating the system, just dont be so ignorant, the world steals music. Just get over it.

ilikeheadcheese

BTW Bucketdog, grow up..Just get over it.

I agree.  with this statement, but, bucketdog\'s first post here was great, seemed like he was a decent bucket bot, now he\'s bitching just as much as the people he was telling to shut up.  a bit contradictory. >:(
ISOT #921
Cyborg Slunks #397
Blueprints #405
Metatron Body Bag ed.
Painting 5 #96
Best Regards #298
Spinal Clock #349
BHL
DOTR
I Need 5 Minutes Alone
SOTS
painting 213
Greeting Card CD

Slaw_Slinger

October 17, 2010, 10:21:48 pm #11 Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 10:22:32 pm by Slaw_Slinger
What is with all the complaining all of a sudden? It\'s been one big negative rant.  

You should listen to ellamental\'s new favorite song of all time and chill out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32UGD0fV45g

Bucketdog

October 17, 2010, 10:30:20 pm #12 Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 10:32:42 pm by Bucketdog
@gb714us and ilkeheadcheese  :-*
Joe!!!! Could you fix me a ham and cheese sandwich?!!! Joe!!!! I want some butter for my chips!!!! Joe!!!!

Bucketdog

I agree.  with this statement, but, bucketdog\'s first post here was great, seemed like he was a decent bucket bot, now he\'s bitching just as much as the people he was telling to shut up.  a bit contradictory. >:(
Sorry if I let anyone down, but bucketfel basically laughed at us when we told him stealing from buckethead was wrong. And yes, people all over the world steal music, that doesn\'t make it ok.

Sorry, I can\'t stand most of his new work, take me to court if you don\'t like my opinion. I\'m sure you can make a legitimate case.... Since I BOUGHT the music I have every right to criticize it. I\'m sure the CDs in my collection won\'t cry over it, they will prolly just sit there and be CDs for all I know. Who knows, they may try to kill me tonight!!! Ahhh!!! Bwahahahaha!!

gb714us

Sorry if I let anyone down, but bucketfel basically laughed at us when we told him stealing from buckethead was wrong. And yes, people all over the world steal music, that doesn\'t make it ok.

Sorry, I can\'t stand most of his new work, take me to court if you don\'t like my opinion. I\'m sure you can make a legitimate case.... Since I BOUGHT the music I have every right to criticize it. I\'m sure the CDs in my collection won\'t cry over it, they will prolly just sit there and be CDs for all I know. Who knows, they may try to kill me tonight!!! Ahhh!!! Bwahahahaha!!
yes i know, it isnt ok to steal music but im saying whats the point of comlaining about it? Theres nothing we can do about it. Artists and fans have to deal with it i guess. If artists really cared then they wouldnt release anything due to the fact that it can be downloaded illegally, but they still continue to release albums because its everywhere. So we all just have to deal with it. In the end the artist will know who their real fans are.