New
Site design:

A lot of new content added.

Check the home page.

New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

Buckethead\'s Accomplices (need help finding more)

Started by beau810, May 25, 2010, 04:25:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beau810

I have recently been jamming to Ben-Wa\'s "Disciples of Retro-tech" and completely love it.  Its strange for me to say that because at heart I\'m a metal head.  Not too strange though because Im a big fan of Buckethead\'s efforts with electronica musicians: Devil Dub, El Stew, Somewhere Over the Slaughterhouse, Bermuda Triangle, Bolt-on Neck, and Cobra Strike II.  

Basically I love Buckethead\'s work with Extrakd, P-Sticks, Ben Wa, and Disc.  

Is there anyone else here that feels that way and if so do you know of other albums from these artists or other music that sounds like them.

Your help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks.  
Support underground music!!!

Chris DiCicco

Q-Bert! Wave Twisters Brain!! Kevin\'s Noodle Soup, uhm Travis Dickerson!!! Thanatopsis, Gorgone...
The Exosphere  2013

Duckhead

You\'ll probably like Method of Defiance, check them out.

noodles

May 26, 2010, 02:52:59 am #3 Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:56:33 am by noodles
i\'m open to any kind of genre or accomplices Buckethead has played with, i found the work with Brain in 2007 "Kevin\'s Noodle House" very interesting, really shines his just plain guitar skills with nice drum beats, kinda has a vibe of him returning to a very experimental sound with some strong effects.

his works with Travis and Brain are completely excellent![/u] really beautiful sounds going on there, fantastic combination! really dig the stuff like, chicken noodles, iconography and dragons of eden for sure.

also all of the El Stew is great, along with his works with Viggo Mortensen, among others, never did check out some of his stuff with Ben Wa though,

hell! it\'s all killer! ;D  8)

Duckhead

BucketFan

I have Metatron from Praxis which is my first Praxis album. And I gotta say, what a great band!   ;D

beau810

Thanks guys!
I already have all of those albums that Buckethead appears on and love them as well.  I guess I was looking for other stuff those guys have done with out Buckethead like Ben Wa or Noforcefield or other bands that sound like them.  

I only ask because I am fairly ignorant when it comes to electronica stuff.  I am more versed in metal than any other genera of music.

I do have a few Bill Laswell recordings and love them too.  Any favorites with out Buckethead... mine would have to be Material - Hallucination Engine.

I also like some turntable stuff... like Mix Master Mike, Eddie Def, and Disc... is there anything that I must have for a collection?

Thanks again guys for the help.

chickentrain

May 26, 2010, 10:54:09 pm #7 Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 10:56:45 pm by chickentrain
If you\'re looking for pure electronica, I recommend Jean-Michel Jarre. He\'s unrelated to Buckethead, but he has made some phenomenal electronica albums. Check out Oxygene, Oxygene 7-13, Equinoxe, Chronologie, Rendez-Vous, and Les Chants Magnetiques (The Magnetic Fields).

Of all of those, Chronologie is the only one that involves any real turn-table stuff. The turn-table stuff is in the second half of the album, though.

Also, if you\'re looking for some ambient electronica, check out Tangerine Dream\'s Force Majeure, Stratosfear, Phaedra, Tangram, and Rubycon albums. I\'ll quickly explain ambient electronica since you\'re a self-proclaimed "metal head." :P Ambient electronica is a form of electronica that is typically low-key and is almost just background music for relaxing to. It\'s also described as "space music."

I don\'t know if these are the types of music you\'re looking for, but I hope it is. ;)

EDIT: Also check out Tangerine Dream\'s Underwater Sunlight and Exit albums. Those two are great as well.

chickentrain

If you\'re looking for another experimental rock artist, Brian Eno is quite famous for his Another Green World album.

Duckhead

May 26, 2010, 11:47:30 pm #9 Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 11:53:08 pm by Duckhead
You probably listen to Ministry and Crystal Method. They are pretty well known. I am also a fan of Thrill Kill Kult, you might like them.

I agree with chickentrain that Brian Eno and Tangerine Dream are well worth looking into.

Btw. Are you a fan of R.A.M. and similar acts?

chickentrain

QuoteI agree with chickentrain that Brian Eno and Tangerine Dream are well worth looking into.
Thanks, but in my opinion, Tangerine Dream is somewhat of a disappointment compared to Jean-Michel. The only two TD albums I highly recommend are Force Majeure and Tangram. If you want more TD, maybe try Stratosfear and Phaedra to see how the "classic" TD sounded. The rest of TD\'s music is all average TD, which is typically good, but...I guess not really worth buying if you\'re not really into TD. :P

Jean-Michel\'s Oxygene and Equinoxe are similar to the slow pace of classic TD albums, but I find them far more entertaining to listen to because they eventually reach a climax. Also, Jean-Michel\'s Oxygene 7-13 and Chronologie albums have a great, modern feel to them that is more upbeat and less ambient sounding.

Eh, just my opinion anyway. ;)

By the way, there is one TD album that is fantastic -- if you can find it. It\'s Mars Polaris. The reason I say "if you can find it" is because there are actually 2 versions of this album. One is a mistake pressing that is NOT actively identified by online stores. I know this because I received this mistake pressing instead of the real Mars Polaris. The bad re-press has a combination of tracks from TD\'s Great Wall of China album for half of the CD, and the other half has some actual Mars Polaris tracks. The worst part is, it\'s not just half and half. The tracks are actually intermingled with the real Mars Polaris tracks, and the CD package has the track listing of the actual Mars Polaris pressing. So, it\'s hard to tell the fake version. Mars Polaris\' tracks were made by Edgar Froese (the head guy of TD) and his son. As it turns out, the bad pressing of Mars Polaris removes all the tracks from his son and replaces them with the Great Wall of China tracks. I still have not located the "true" Mars Polaris with Edgar\'s son\'s tracks intact. >:( If you want an example of one of his son\'s tracks, look up Tangerine Dream Outland on YouTube. "Outland" is one of the tracks that does not make it onto the fake version.

Also, if you can find the original CD of Optical Race, that might be worth getting. They recently did a re-recording of it, and it sounds different than it originally did. I cannot locate the original version of this either, save for maybe Amazon. Why do they screw around with classics like that?  :-/

chickentrain

May 27, 2010, 04:52:06 am #11 Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 04:53:04 am by chickentrain
I don\'t know if you\'re into Rush at all, but their Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, and Signals albums include a lot of keyboards/synthesizers and are absolutely incredible.

EDIT: Look up the song Kid Gloves or Grand Designs or Mystic Rhythms or Analog Kid on YouTube.

Duckhead

May 27, 2010, 07:48:00 am #12 Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 09:44:10 am by Duckhead
I only have the Force Majeure & Phaedra albums - I like them both. When it comes to electronic, techno & ambient there is a very wide range of artists and styles, it\'s hard to pin down a few.

With ambient music the Boards of Canada are essential for me. Others to check out are Aphex Twin, Higher Intelligence Agency, Mythos and Autechre. There is a cool compilation set called Artificial Intelligence that features alot of great musicians and various sounds (mostly ambient) you should check it out if you can.

With Electronic & techno - Kraftwerk is essential, and like I said earlier Thrill Kill Kult, Crystal Method & Ministry - also Prodigy, Propellerheads, Daft Punk, Revolting Cocks are some other of my favorites. As a little duckling I was into New Order, OMD, Depeche Mode and Joy Division to name a few - still dig them.

Not sure how electronic they are considered but I LOVE Rage Against the Machine, and Audioslave is pretty darn good but if you\'re into metal you already know that. Looks like I might be getting off topic.

Turntablism stuff is something I don\'t listen to enough of. - I like Mix Master Mike from the Beastie Boys and DJ Qbert. They helped form Invisibl Skratch Piklz I think. Also Afrika Bambaataa, Grand Wizard Theodore and of course Grandmaster Flash are essential turntablists. Do you have the DVD Scratch? You should get it/rent it. Another great dvd is The Freshest Kids, A History of the B-Boy mostly about break-dancing but it has some great music.

Beau - You  mentioned you like Laswell - have you listened to any of his Dub Chamber albums? Good stuff IMO.

oh well I better stop myself, I\'ve gone on waaaaayyy too long, there\'s just so much great music out there.  :P

chickentrain

May 27, 2010, 04:42:13 pm #13 Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 04:44:39 pm by chickentrain
Yikes, Duckhead! I\'ve only heard of a small fraction of the people you listed. I guess I\'m not really into techno/electronica enough to actually look into more artists. I\'m really more of a rock/metal guy at heart. 8)

Speaking of rock/metal, I\'ve heard of Audioslave and Rage Against the Machine, but I don\'t have any of their stuff. Like I said in the "favorite albums of all time" thread, I\'m not really into modern material. Buckethead is about the only modern group I like, and it\'s because there\'s no vocals. I don\'t really like the sound of the vocals in modern bands.

EDIT: I should also state that I like Buckethead because he\'s the best guitarist I\'ve ever heard, and I\'ve listened to quite a few great guitarists.

EDIT 2: And what I mean by "best" is that his songs appeal to me the most.

beau810

Right on guys that was exactly what I was looking for.  I now have a map to follow.

Here is a band everyone interested in this thread should hear and that is DUB TRIO... wow are they good.  They are a metal dub band.  I know that sounds weird but it is awesome!!!  I saw them with Isis and they totally blew me away.  Only 3 bands have blown me away live: Dub Trio, Mr. Bungle, and just last week Baroness.  Buckethead was great but it was exactly what I was expecting.  I did see another act that I dont put with live rock shows that blew me away and that was Kodo Drums.

Thanks again guys... Ill let you know once I get a chance to pick some of that stuff up.