Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

Myopia

Started by CMA, November 25, 2004, 01:35:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CMA

Travis,

I Think this has to be one of my favourite tracks on the thanatopsis album apart from Vertex and Pyrrhic victory.

i once listened to thanatopsis in the studio and i was dumbstricken how everything sounded so nice and "beefy", IE the Bass, was fantastic so say the least.

Anyway, could you give an insight to how you got mytopia sounding so good?

One of the many little things i liked came at 0:54 with the Ride and Crash panning, (Im a sucker for stereo goings on),  what kinda Distortion is buckethead using? and when clean is that a harmonizer or double tracked with the given interval,  it sounds strangly familier..ah chorus?

Travis

Myopia was the first track I did for what would become Thanatopsis. I  think I started with a drum loop and then the Moog. The bass is the Moog, one of the most devastating bass generators ever created. When I turn it up on my Augsbergers you can see shirt collars waving in it\'s breeze. Buckethead did a pass then Ramy came in and did the drums, I got rid of the loop after that. The drum sound is a Grestch kit, a very fat kit to start with and mic\'ed through Neve 1073 pre-amps and some LA2A compressors. I like the sound dry and tight while still trying to keep it fat. The guitar, at least on this track was cut direct to tape and Bucket used a variety of stomp boxes, all the effects were generated by him, I may have added some delay and reverb here and there. I wish I could be more specific about his FX boxes but I just don\'t remember which ones. The parts that are doubled is just if he play a riff more than once I would cut and paste the second go round under the first one and cut and paste those together a few times. I\'m not sure what the drum panning is your referring to, I pan drums to the audience perspective, hat on the right, toms hi, right to low, left. If you are hearing a weird panning effect it might be a drum edit where I have pulled the overhead tracks forward or backward in time relative to the other mics edit point, this makes for an interesting effect and for 4 or 8 beats the edit point overlaps. I added the strings last to give the track some build to the end. This track was done in the same way I did Pin Bones and Poultry on SWOTSH, but in that case the drum loop stayed . Final Reparation is my favorite track from Thanatopsis. I really enjoyed working Mozart into the track with the moog and my weird piano sound. I knew I was putting together a track unlike any I had heard Buckethead play on but he was enthusiastic about it when I played him the basic track and I was thrilled with what he played adapting perfectly to the track and pulling off some insane and beautiful licks with Wolfgang.

spencer

speaking of stompboxes, do you have any pics of Buckethead\'s stompboxes when he\'s recording straight through?  considering i have a terrible mic right now, i\'m thinkin of recording straight through.... as soon as my audio interface starts working :-\\

CMA

Wow thanks a lot travis, that defiantly did awnser all my questions and more!.. i thought as much it was the Gretch kit everysingle TDRS Album i own, the drums sound fantastic, thanks to your Gretch.

in pin bones and poultry what drum machine did you use?

Also what is the first ever track you worked on with buckethead?

13th scroll was 1998, but there is only credit of you Producing the record. I  i remember you saying  DJ.Disk, Bill Laswell, and Brain wasnt involved with the recording.

So that leaves 2000 Notorious swade on Cobra Strike 2, though it dosnt tell you who played what? execpt P-Sticks for samples and beats an gonerville for beats.

Thanks Travis

Chris Moss

Travis

Spencer, no pic\'s other than what on the "making of Axiology" page
here: <http://tdrsmusic.com/makingaxiology.html>;. If I remember right on The first Thanatopsis he was using a Digitec pedal of some kind for some of the recording.
Chris, I think you are trying to distinguish between the stuff I recorded and produced vs the stuff I wrote or cowrote and played on. I produced and recorded CS1 but I don\'t think I played on it. I don\'t know why the credits were the way they were,  D.J. disc and Brain provided prerecorded loops hence there credit but the others I don\'t know. CSII Notorious Swade was a track I put together and asked him to play on, we decided to use it on the record, so that was the first true collaboration that we played together on.
Pin Bones isn\'t a machine it a real drum loop, I don\'t remember where it came from.

CMA

I Dont mean to go into too much detail, and it\'s possiblly a stupid question, but i was wondering did you ever use the dats that buckethead was recording on him when you first met him, in that wax museum??

Over and out

Chris moss

Travis

No, a chicken ate them.

spencer

QuoteIf I remember right on The first Thanatopsis he was using a Digitec pedal of some kind for some of the recording.

Buckethead never ceases to amaze me in the fact that he takes the CRAPPIEST effects and makes wonderful wonderful noise outta them.

I really don\'t like digitech.

I do however dig DOD and Boss stuff, which i see buckethead uses.  I\'m kinda upset he has a delay pedal though, i like the midiverb stuff :)

gkg

QuoteNo, a chicken ate them.

hahahahah!  out of carelessness or with great deliberation?
Peace.

image = <i>"Blue Velvet"</i> (front of 2-sided piece) (c) georgia k griffin - all rights reserved

CMA

November 27, 2004, 10:55:32 pm #9 Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 11:05:03 pm by Chris_Moss
QuoteBuckethead never ceases to amaze me in the fact that he takes the CRAPPIEST effects and makes wonderful wonderful noise outta them.

:-/
Thats Because Digitech is not a crap Guitar-FX brand at all, There Acutally one of the best Brand you can get, apart from Boss.

And I think it\'s Just the Digitech Wammy Pedel That Buckethead uses.

QuoteQuote:No, a chicken ate them.  

hahahahah!  out of carelessness or with great deliberation?

MmmMMmm Chickens that lay eggs with buckethead music in them.

spencer

November 28, 2004, 01:31:15 am #10 Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 01:33:06 am by spencer

:-/
Thats Because Digitech is not a crap Guitar-FX brand at all, There Acutally one of the best Brand you can get, apart from Boss.

And I think it\'s Just the Digitech Wammy Pedel That Buckethead uses.

The Whammy is the only thing i\'ve heard that they put out that i really like.  the pedals all rub me the wrong way when i play them (what the hell is a morph knob?  all it does is make them sound shitty!), and my little effects processor has muddy sounds and a broken footpedal.  I\'ll take Boss and DOD over Digitech every day dude.  Heck, the 40 dollar distortion pedal from Boss is (IMO) better than anything digitech puts up besides the whammy.

Travis

November 28, 2004, 01:43:40 am #11 Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 01:44:16 am by admin
It was one of their distortion pedals, with all the FX. It is a decidedly lo fi box which I rather liked for the off the wall direction I was hoping for on that record but it\'s definitely not for purists, we mixed it up with an amp and mic combo as well.

CMA

November 28, 2004, 02:14:37 am #12 Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 02:22:05 am by Chris_Moss
Back when Funnel Weaver first came out, remnants on SWOTSH like Day of the ucler..and BHL2, i havnet heard "islands" or "clocks" yet, but im sure there in the same ball park and of corse Myopia. Buckethead has the most amazing distortion. is it just because there Double tracked and deadpanned L + R? There is just somthing about that technique i absolutly love.

Also something else i found pretty cool and a great example of what i mean on myopia.

The guitar track goes:
from middle = 0:07 - 0:19
then Drum break and then both Left and right 0:20 - 0:34
then goes back to middle 0:41
and back to left and right 0:54

It sounds a lot like CSII, but a lot fatter.

*Edit* And my point was. The Only Sounds i have got anything remotly close to this chugging distortion was a Boss MT-2. the setting is like this

Level - N/A
Low - + 15
High - +15
Middle - 200k
mid Freq - 300k (or 9 o clock)
Dist - MaX

Though travis is you have any idears of anything better sounding, please share with me  ;D

Travis

November 28, 2004, 02:37:01 am #13 Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 02:38:30 am by admin
The double tracking coming and going is one of my favorites and I use it a lot on my productions. Like I said before in this case because he didn\'t do a double I just took a riff or lick thats repeated and pasted the second instance under the first and the first under the second and so fort to get a double, of coarse this relies on the guitarist to play the riff the same way and in the same time at least twice. We use a lot of different methods for recording guitars, amps, direct with Amp Farm, and pedals and combinations of all of these but one thing I always do is go through on of my Neve 1073 pre-amp. Anything going into one of these comes out fat.

CMA

November 28, 2004, 03:03:46 am #14 Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 03:12:06 am by Chris_Moss
yeah, after listning to tdrsmusic albums i sometimes pick up your techniques. I think it\'s a great learning process for me, Especially When I am studying this kinda thing. The double tracking coming and going is my favourite one as well.

I whipped out PO today and gave it a listen with fresh ears, and i really love the Rhodes on max Tremolo..

Also could you tell me more about the Neve 1073 preamp, and Much much much cheaper pre-amps. :P

Is this the one? http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.360669/category.40/it.A/id.1291/.f

or this one (picture)http://www.funkyjunkfrance.com/products/Neve/1084_73_rack_big.jpg