New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

The Elephant Man\'s Alarm Clock

Started by kaptkopter, September 18, 2006, 01:06:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kaptkopter

TEMAC is one of the absolute near perfect  CDs to ever be released. I really really like all of BH\'s music. I purchased Bucketheadland when you had to buy it direct from CA with a money order & everything. So I have pretty much been fortunate enough to be along for the ride as he grows and grows. TEMAC is way up over the top, floating up in the clouds, like  Electric Ladyland. But just think, it took Jimi, Eddie Kramer, & about 10 other musicians to pull that one off. TEMAC took BH & Del Rey & 2 guys at the board. And that Funkadelicious hidden gem at the end. WOW!!!!
Thank you Travis for making it available, I am forever in your debt.
Buckethead is going to be the guy who rewrote the book on guitar technique.

Indra

Agreed.  Although I do have say I like Inbred Mt. just as much if not more than this one.  

Even more impressive is that one of those guys at the board (Dan Monti) is actually Delray --

http://www.delicreeps.com/daniel.html

So these albums are basically just Delray/Dan and Bucket, with Albert only assisting a bit with production.  Incredible.  

Sljuka

I agree with both of you.

I think that Lurker at the Threshold is pure perfection.

Also Lotus Island off of Inbred Mountain is beautiful.

Dont get me wrong, I adore the entire albums, but I have never heard such wonderful sounds comming from one guitar.

But I could really sit here all day and talk about almost all of bucketheads recordings.  The fact that the styles vary so much (slow stuff like colma, population override, electric tears) to his more insane speed metal stuff (cuckoo clocks,  kaleidoscalp) and then his collaborative works with Travis in Thanatopsis.   He is a true talent.

redwingfan1234

I agree with Indra. While EMAC is incredible, I think Inbred Mountain is leagues beyond it (I actually consider it my favorite cd of all time). I think BH finally nailed the whole avant garde concept with it.
While some parts of cd\'s like Kaleidoscalp or IoLM kinda lose direction, every second of every riff on Inbred Mountain is incredible. You can almost "see" what\'s going on in the songs (no, I don\'t do drugs). I could talk about it forever.

davidh2087

I think that Elephant Man\'s Alarm Clock is brilliant!

It has a different feel than Inbred Mountain and because of that I find it hard to compare. I find Inbred Mountain fun because of the spontenaity, i mean, most of the songs are soo random is just badass! Then Lotus Island and Plastination Station are masterful!

Elephant Man\'s Alarm Clock is more organized and themed (in my opinion). Especially Lurker at the Threshold! Final Wars is awsome! In fact, the whole album is just awsome!

I love them both!
-|)@\\V/!|)

dewclaw

what is the name of the hidden track on Elephant Man\'s?

d6

official hippie hell survivor

bigbri

Actually, I think it\'s Hidden, with a capital "H."  ;D I could be wrong.  :P

piikea

TEMAC & Inbred are def his best 2 albums IMO. i love both but if i had to pick 1 over the other i\'d say Alarm Clock by a hair!
Bill Laswell / Raoul Björkenheim / Morgan Agren: Blixt (2011) //// Bangtower: Casting Shadows (2011) //// Levin Torn White (2011)

superslidetail

Since everyone keeps praising both of these albums, I am more interested.  Are they like Colma, Electric Tears, and Population Override or is every track vastly different?

davidh2087

QuoteSince everyone keeps praising both of these albums, I am more interested.  Are they like Colma, Electric Tears, and Population Override or is every track vastly different?

They are not really like those. TEMAC and Inbred Mountain are more metal. They have heavy chords and powerful solos that are really good, not soft acoustic melodies as Colma and Electric Tears have. Dont get me wrong i love those soft albums, but sometimes you need to have something heavier, it is fortunate that i don\'t have to look any farther than Buckethead!

Don\'t expect Colma or Electric Tears, but do expect some damn good albums!
-|)@\\V/!|)

superslidetail

Ah ok.  I like his metal stuff as well.  I should check this stuff out.  Thanks.

piikea

yea, like davidh2087  said they\'re not like the 3 you mention.....they both have a "similiarity" throughout (& NOT in a bad way!) - just to say they flow well from beginning to end. heavy but not really speed metalish & does have some slow parts & beautiful passages mixed in.
Bill Laswell / Raoul Björkenheim / Morgan Agren: Blixt (2011) //// Bangtower: Casting Shadows (2011) //// Levin Torn White (2011)