New
Site design:

A lot of new content added.

Check the home page.

New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

Bose 901s.... Wierd.. Gimmick..? Cool..?

Started by jeffrae, March 28, 2007, 01:52:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffrae

Hell Travis or anyone else... :)

I have been curious about Bose 901s..  Have you ever heard these?

Are they a Gimmick?  The design is wierd of you ask me.  9 Full Range 4.5" Driver per channel that require an active EQ to sound right..

What do you think of these as someone that work with music??

Color the sound?  Terrible Freq.. responce?  

Jeff

Travis

These are considered the holy grail of speakers to many audiophiles.
I love these speakers. They throw sound around a space and rely on the rooms acoustic and your ability to tune the speaker to fit the room.
I\'m my opinion there is no such thing as a flat speaker. If you talking about recording studio monitors then there are flatter speakers but even for that purpose a good recording monitor is just a speaker you have enough experience with to know how it translates to the rest of the world.

jeffrae

Do you have a pair?

They appear to b a love/hate speaker..

Do they handle bass as welll as say a 3 way speaker with say a 10 inch woofer?

jeffrae

Well I order aused pair Seris VI that are a couple years old off ebay....

I figure if I am not happy with them I can just toss them back on ebay...

northwoodsdrummer

I have installed these speakers in many installations.  I have always had great customer satisfaction using them.  I feel you really have to use a lot of power behind them to really make them sing, a good sounding speaker but not always the most cost effective choice. :)

Ripplin

A friend of mine (well, his father, who I would also say is a friend ;) ) has a pair. They\'re 25+ years old and still going strong. He cranked them one day when he was feeling hyper, I guess, and they are very powerful. Sounded nice.

I have an all Bose system (301 series IV fronts, VCS-10 center, and Model 100 surrounds and rear center) and am very happy with them. Very crisp, clear sound, which is what I was going for, not brutal power. I\'d trade the 301s for 901s, of course. Haha.