New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

Travis - a keyboard gear question

Started by BubbaMc, January 02, 2011, 04:29:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Travis

I\'ve hade a Poly 61 for years but i haven\'t tried any of those.
I would guess as long as it has analog oscillators they should sound great.

gb714us

Hey travis, I was wondering, do you play any other instruments other than keys?? I know you use a theremin. But any others that you play just as great? Any clips maybe?

Travis

February 14, 2011, 02:32:55 am #32 Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 02:34:14 am by admin
I started as a kid playing drums, then guitar, then piano. I continued to dabble with bass and guitar but I settled into the piano.  I have been playing guitar and quite a bit of lap steel lately but working with guitarists as good as Buckethead or my brother Lindy,  I don\'t get much of a chance ( or need) to play. The record I\'m working on with Lindy right now I\'m really concentrating on acoustic piano and hammond and there is a lot of guitar on it (by Lindy).

I am playing a lot of lap steel on the record I\'m making with Vince and the one I\'m doing with DJ Bonebrake and I have done several tracks with my friend Camille where I\'m playing guitar, lap steel, bass, drums and piano. One of my favorites is here:

http://bloginsong.com/2010/11/24/blackest-friday/

Also check out some of the tracks I did with Camille , Lindy and DJ. I\'m a big fan of her songs.

stumpdangler

QuoteOne of my favorite objects of Mojo. In the late 90\'s i expanded my studio into another unit Steven Stills had been using to store stuff. We he left, he left all kinds of stuff behind. Lot\'s of cool things like photos of the Buffalo Springfield and CSN paperwork and tour memorabilia. Also there was an old desk, in pieces, but the drawers were intact and inside was Stills old rolodex. This is probably from the late 60\'s.

This is just a few of the hundreds of who\'s who from the 60\'s in this thing.

I like how he\'s noted "bass player for the stones" just in case he forgot or Clapton\'s manager is Stignood.

Wow!!!!

nothinglost7

That is such an awesome piece of Rock history man. Glad it fell into your (someone\'s) lap that can appreciate it. :)

gb714us

QuoteI started as a kid playing drums, then guitar, then piano. I continued to dabble with bass and guitar but I settled into the piano.  I have been playing guitar and quite a bit of lap steel lately but working with guitarists as good as Buckethead or my brother Lindy,  I don\'t get much of a chance ( or need) to play. The record I\'m working on with Lindy right now I\'m really concentrating on acoustic piano and hammond and there is a lot of guitar on it (by Lindy).

I am playing a lot of lap steel on the record I\'m making with Vince and the one I\'m doing with DJ Bonebrake and I have done several tracks with my friend Camille where I\'m playing guitar, lap steel, bass, drums and piano. One of my favorites is here:

http://bloginsong.com/2010/11/24/blackest-friday/

Also check out some of the tracks I did with Camille , Lindy and DJ. I\'m a big fan of her songs.

Thanks for the response, and its very interesting to hear this aswell, I kind of had a feeling That you\'d be interested in drums a bit. great stuff in that link btw, its great to listen to you play something other than keys, not saying that it gets tiresome to listen to you play keys, but its a nice change up!

How are those other projects coming along by the way? Im excited for them.

Chris DiCicco

QuoteI\'ve hade a Poly 61 for years but i haven\'t tried any of those.
I would guess as long as it has analog oscillators they should sound great.

yeah analog all the way, heres a wikilinkyloo of this little monster.

dig on the reverse color keys photo!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroKORG
The Exosphere  2013

Whale_On_This

QuoteMy Current set up is:

Prophet 08
Roland SH202
Alesis Andromeda
The SE Electronics Mini Moog
Hammond 1954 B3 and Leslie 122
Hammond C2 that I customized and a Leslie I made for it.
Yamaha acoustic piano
Yamaha Electric Grand CP80
Fender Rhodes suitcase

For midi work, I use a kurzweil PC88

A lot of the same stuff from the Thanatopsis page. But  I\'ve been using the Roland and Prophet a lot. The Alesis belongs to Vince DiCola but it\'s here in the studio and was used on Iconography and a little on the record Vince and I are currently working on.

My favorite is probably the B3, but I use whats right for the part I\'m working on, so the favorite would be the one that works for the part.

I prefer hardware synths and really don\'t use the software stuff I have unless it\'s an FX or some strings sounds, though I like to replace those with Cameron Stone when I can get him to do that.

If your really keyboard geeky, heres some photos of my C2. It belonged to the Guess Who. The top photo is "before" and the rest are in progress. Note the guitar picks I found after rebuilding the manuals.

http://travisdickersonmusic.com/Hammond_photos/

Well those pics are freaking awesome, that came out great.

Speaking of Cameron...
Are you working with him on anything new?
Any plans to work with Scarlet again?

Whale_On_This

QuoteOne of my favorite objects of Mojo. In the late 90\'s i expanded my studio into another unit Steven Stills had been using to store stuff. We he left, he left all kinds of stuff behind. Lot\'s of cool things like photos of the Buffalo Springfield and CSN paperwork and tour memorabilia. Also there was an old desk, in pieces, but the drawers were intact and inside was Stills old rolodex. This is probably from the late 60\'s.

This is just a few of the hundreds of who\'s who from the 60\'s in this thing.

I like how he\'s noted "bass player for the stones" just in case he forgot or Clapton\'s manager is Stignood.

Wow, this is a great damn thread.
All sorts of history herein.
 ;D

Travis

Oh yes, I will definitely work with Cameron and Scarlet again.

Whale_On_This

Great news.
I really like Cameron\'s style.
And we all know Scarlet is a legend  ;D