New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

Shadows Between The Sky re-press thread

Started by mrpancakes, March 28, 2012, 06:21:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Travis

I get a thread like this here every few months. As people come and go new people ask and so it's been addressed many time but it maybe helpful to read this thread for some background:

http://www.tdrsmusic.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1196.0

We tried this over two years ago and the re-press still hasn't paid for itself. The problem is there are a small core of fans to begin with. Half of a new pressing sells in a few months then the rest can take a couple of years. After that it ones and twos. When a CD get to that point there are at most 30 maybe, if a big effort is under way, 40 people who would really pay to repress.

There are a number of other threads here about this. We have brain stormed a bunch of options but in the end it's just supply and demand. Unless the option to do one offs or on demand is on the table (also been discussed here). There are other distribution issues at play now as well, but I'm still willing to kick it around.

mrpancakes

I totally understand about this. I wasn't aware of that thread, thx ! I can see how long it took. But in my opinion, Shadows would sell really fast with a little promotion. And personally, I wouldn't mind at all paying more for it. Again, as you stated in another thread, I wouldn't mind receiving only the CD and the printed goods, and I supply the case. Maybe it could be re-pressed in lower quantities too. I'm throwing in some old ideas, but seriously, I'm sure it would sell faster than Diamond and Prairie with some kind of promotion around the net.

I fear that no so many people are posting on this thread thinking it's waste of time, but if it ever gets to the real thing of pre-orders, from reading on many websites, I'm sure it would sell. I'm also going to donate to TDRS soon (when I get my paycheck) hoping it can help in the re-impression !

Bucketfel

Travis, most of us want this to happen. Here is the solution:

If there isnt any legal mumbo-jumbo to be solved and what you are worried is that when people swear they will buy but eventually dont, simply start a kickstart page.
Ive seen some people use it, mostly youtube figures trying to get funds for bigger projects and even some videogame creators trying to get this directly to fans. Maybe you can start a page there and let us fund the repress. Then you will not have to worry about those who say they will help but eventually dont.

Please look into this page and i hope this helps.

http://www.kickstarter.com/
He works on the farm,
He makes fun of me,
But thats the lats thing youll see,
Cuz im gone use him for something that you wont understand

Spinal Clock #199
Holiday Album

Riffwraith

Finally signing up to TDRS just to say this, I am most sincerely down for 2 copies.

A point I'd like to raise is the last copy of this on ebay was $214. This must mean there are at least a few people willing to pay the same amount 10 copies would cost originally, so I'm hoping even if there aren't 100 people or however many, if it averaged out about 2 a person that sounds closer to how many the 'core' fan base might include. They do make great gifts, don't ya know!

Keith_SIO

Matthew

Although i do know Travis has touched on this subject before, you could put me down for one copy. I already own a copy, but if it helps to get it repressed it wouldnt hurt to own a second one.

bingeneer

I would also buy 2 copies, if it helps to get a repressing.  I really want this cd, but I'm not going to pay those crazy ebay prices!

dewclaw

what the heck..??!!? I just looked on ebay and this CD is going for over $100. I had to go pull my copy to listen to it again. I might have to throw it up on ebay so I can generate funds to buy the 10 CD box set. I bought a couple of the original ISOT disks but I could never comlete the collection.

JTSwagger

Tempbucketdog

April 02, 2012, 12:30:47 pm #24 Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 12:33:18 pm by Tempbucketdog
Mrpancakes,

I think the only solution would be for Travis to tell us exactly how many copies he would need to sell to cover the initial investment of repressing the discs. Then have a pre-order of that amount so Tdrs and bucket don't go into the "red" on this endeavor. So if we at least cover the initial cost, the rest will be gravy for them. Even if it takes a year or 2 to sell the rest it would still be worth it. I don't think there is enough posts here to make that happen...yet.

If all of you are really serious about this, perhaps Travis could shoot us a number of pre-orders he would like to get to before pressing. And a signed and numbered batch of repressings would make it a bit more desirable for bots that already have that wedge. Money talks and empty promises walks.

Tempbucketdog

I'd rather pay for a sbts LE than another best regards LE anyday. Maybe a different album cover with a bonus track or 2 for the LE batch too.

Riffwraith

Quote from: Tempbucketdog on April 02, 2012, 12:30:47 pm
Mrpancakes,

I think the only solution would be for Travis to tell us exactly how many copies he would need to sell to cover the initial investment of repressing the discs. Then have a pre-order of that amount so Tdrs and bucket don't go into the "red" on this endeavor. So if we at least cover the initial cost, the rest will be gravy for them. Even if it takes a year or 2 to sell the rest it would still be worth it. I don't think there is enough posts here to make that happen...yet.

If all of you are really serious about this, perhaps Travis could shoot us a number of pre-orders he would like to get to before pressing. And a signed and numbered batch of repressings would make it a bit more desirable for bots that already have that wedge. Money talks and empty promises walks.

This is basically the deal with the Kickstarter option. Lots of people 'pledge' however much they want towards a project within a certain time frame, and hopefully make enough to hit the target. If not, no money is taken and it's like it never happened and nothing is lost, but if we get to the right sum they would keep the lot and everyone involved gets a cd (or whatever else offered  ;) )

If I may use an example someone said in another forum, Ginger Wildheart has an album called 555% because that's how much he raised by the end. These seem to be fairly successful, need to go and find some stats somewhere...

mrpancakes

^^That's basically what I was going to say. I agree with you, tempbucketdog, I don't think there's enough people asking for it now, but Kickstart or PledgeMusic is great way, in my opinion, to make this happen. And I agree too with what you said about the LEs.

mrpancakes

BTW, I had an email from Buckethead Pikes Service about SBTS. Here's what it says:

Nicolas,
It will be repressed at some time in the future. The release date is still to be determined.
Buckethead Pikes Service

What do you bots think ??

Travis

I should chime in and comment. We have done something like this in the past. (Kickstarter, remember, they are a for profit company and and it costs about 10 percent after charge fees, a lot when such slim margins are involved.) We had people pre-pay over several months. Around 40 or so sales then commitments peter out. To really work we need around 100 just to pay for the pressing, we have never even come close to that in the past, and it seems it should really be folks that want it because they don't have it and really only need one (1), otherwise it's really not a fair supply and demand thing. Pressings are 1000 units minimum. There are several out of print CDs, as you can imagine the storage for unsold CDs is a real problem and they sell very slowly after they're first released, it can take years , way more then just a couple. So for several CDs it a problem in of itself.

The problem really is the nature of an independent artist with a  finite fan base. I'm just saying this so you all have some perspective on why re-pressings aren't automatic.

One last thing and I've mentioned this before in other threads. The CD's we have been talking about are the product of Bucketheadland, Buckethead's own label. In the past I have co-ordinated repressing on their behalf when asked to do so. Right now, the distribution for these is a little up in the air. I have not been asked to help with this and until I am, I'm going to assume it's a low priority or it's being done elsewhere. I'll pass along the interest in repressing and if there is anything I can do to help, I will.