Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

experts..pretty sure this is bucket

Started by jigsaw, February 17, 2011, 06:21:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

StrungOutOnStrings

QuoteThis thread has me on a Residents binge  ;D

First wedge was Duck Stab - easy choice, then Meet the Residents and now I\'m listening to Not Available. The only other cd I have is the Commercial Album.

I realize I need more Residents - any suggestions on what cds I should look for?

Which release would you suggest as the best starting place for someone new to the Residents? Duck Stab? Other?
"A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians" - Zappa

ISOT #189, Best Regards #132, Spinal Clock #120

zintar

Which release would you suggest as the best starting place for someone new to the Residents? Duck Stab? Other?

Duck Stab and MEET THE RESIDENTS are ( in my opinion ) perfect places to start. Do it.

nothinglost7

So I have to agree with lots of bots about this not being Bucket........

That being said, thank you so much for making me aware of these guys. I had never heard of them before and now I am currently trying to research any information I can find on them. I love what I\'ve read and heard so far.

Thanks.

In Search Of The

I love The Residents, have for a while, my favourite wedges are:

Commerical Album
Tunes Of Two Cities
The Ughs
Tweedles
Chuck\'s Ghost Music
Bunny Boy

Love them, fantastic music.

beelzeBob

the guys is way over 6 foot..  

The residents once had Snakefinger as a guitar player for whoever said the rez were not known for guitar stuff.. :-)

But if you watch any videos from 2011 tour u can tell the guitar player is super tall.  

I know. It was a joke.
Eye Feel Fine(d)
I Feel Find
I Fell, Fin.

StrungOutOnStrings

Duck Stab and MEET THE RESIDENTS are ( in my opinion ) perfect places to start. Do it.

I have been scanning some local music shops for Residents releases, and as expected, most don\'t carry them, but I was able to find used, mint copies of "Tweedles" and also "Animal Lover" at FYE for $17.50 for both, which appears to be a great price.  :)

These releases are very interesting musically, vocally and in concept. "Tweedles" took a couple of listens, very intense, to quote Frank Zappa, basically a "movie for your ears".

The packaging is amazing on both, mini-books, with artwork, story and lyrics. Even so, it will take some time to decipher the riddles & meaning (if any).
"A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians" - Zappa

In Search Of The

Heard of a release this year called Lonely Teenager, seems to be a studio album with the Traveling Light line-up. Does anyone more in-the-know have any other information? It took me long enough to hear about The Ughs, haha.

NotAHickInIndy

The Residents kick arse, I doubt its Bucket though and its my understanding none of the origional residents are left in the band :-/
"You just have to take pleasure in killing" - Buckethead (final line when asked if he had any advice- Young Buckethead)

StrungOutOnStrings

QuoteI love The Residents, have for a while, my favourite wedges are:

Commerical Album
Tunes Of Two Cities
The Ughs
Tweedles
Chuck\'s Ghost Music
Bunny Boy

Love them, fantastic music.

Hi ISOT, do you still own the "Commerical Album" CD, and if so, which version is it?

I have come across at least two CD versions on the Internet, a standard release (jewel case) and also 25th Anniversary Special Edition (hardback book, extra songs), but I have never seen an actual picture.

If you have the special edition, any chance of posting some pictures of the packaging? I am curious if the special is similiar to the mini-book packaging used on Tweedles and Animal Lover.

In Search Of The

Only standard, sorry, been searching for the anniversary edition myself. It comes with more packaging you say?

StrungOutOnStrings

QuoteOnly standard, sorry, been searching for the anniversary edition myself. It comes with more packaging you say?

Some information that I have seen on the web for the anniversary edition "Commercial Album" released by Mute in   2004:

"Commercial Album (CDSTUMM243) comes in a CD size hardcover book illustrated with scenes from the Commercial DVD...The book also includes most of the lyrics and identifies the "secret appearances" by name - takes some of the fun of guessing out of it..."

I have not been able to find pictures of the release.

NotAHickInIndy

I have the 50 song version but no special packaging, it would seem there are 3 versions
"You just have to take pleasure in killing" - Buckethead (final line when asked if he had any advice- Young Buckethead)

StrungOutOnStrings

March 02, 2011, 05:47:41 pm #27 Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 05:48:14 pm by StrungOutOnStrings
The Residents site contains the following details:

http://residents.com/historical/page0/page12/page12.html

I found a reasonably priced "East Side Digital" ( 1988 ) version on the net yesterday, and decided to buy.

It is suppose to have the extra tracks, 50 total.  ;D