New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

How do I go about doing this?

Started by stuffyrandL, October 23, 2005, 11:40:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

stuffyrandL

Thanks in advance for any help!  I would like to start a website for my writing and artwork.  I just don\'t know how to go about doing that.  Could anybody tell me how to get a webpage and all that?  If so, it would be wonderful!  I really appreciate any help!

Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead- Scottish proverb

gkg

most hosting companies make it pretty simple to do - you usually can register your domain name (so long as it\'s available) and such right as you buy your hosting slot.  you will need to know from them what software you can use to create the pages, etc - they usually provide that info right up front.

there are all sorts of companies out there, if you google you\'ll find many many names.  you can go the simplest route, like some of my friends who host via their internet provider (earthlink, sbc, etc., they all have such services available) or you can use a separate company, like i do.  i did a bunch of research to find the place that was the right price, offered the right amount of storage ability and the ease of software i already had; since i am html challenged i use FrontPage software.
Peace.

image = <i>"Blue Velvet"</i> (front of 2-sided piece) (c) georgia k griffin - all rights reserved

stuffyrandL

Thanks so much for the advice, gkg!  I really appreciate it! ;D

hexitt

As gkg stated, many hosting companies will offer you the option to register a domain name while you sign up for a web hosting plan. Monthly hosting fees vary based on space and features provided. If you tack on having the hosting company actually design your site (not including maintenance of content down the road), it can cost a couple hundreds of dollars for those types of services. Most hosting companies have a web interface similar to a file directory (like as in Windows Explorer, etc.) and you simply upload and manage your web pages from that interface.

If you\'re knowledgable of HTML and other scripts, I suggest you buy a hosting plan and domain name at the same time from the same company because that\'s the most economical approach that I know of. If you don\'t have scripting knowledge, then I suggest you find someone to design and manage the content of your pages outside of the hosting company because they typically charge way too much for this end of things. Of course, you can always utilize a free web hosting provider until you sort out what you want to do in terms of spending money and most of their tools make posting/publishing to the web rather simple.

Finally, if you\'re stumped, need more info or are interested, I offer web design services through my company. Please see my web site for more details (http://infinitegravity.net) or email me (brian@infinitegravity.net) and we can discuss things. I\'d be glad to help in any way I can.

Peace.

stuffyrandL

Thanks so much, everybody!  Hubby wants me to try using a free service first and then, if I sell some artwork, invest it in a webpage.  So I think that\'s the route I\'m going.  

He gave me two years to get my book written and to sell some pieces.  Hopefully, it works or I don\'t know what I\'ll do.  I can write and create art.  Don\'t know much else.  

Hey, I don\'t know much!  The feds will hire me!   :o

Sorry!  :D Had to throw that in there.

gkg

you\'re too GOOD for them!  you\'ve already admitted there are things you don\'t know - they have no time for people who won\'t lie about that!!

two years?!  that is so cool!  good luck!!   :-*
Peace.

image = <i>"Blue Velvet"</i> (front of 2-sided piece) (c) georgia k griffin - all rights reserved

stuffyrandL

gkg, you almost made me fall out of my chair.  I\'m a horrible liar, unfortunately.  My eyes turn blue when I lie.  They\'re usually green.  Odd thing.  

Okay, here\'s the site.  As terrified as I am, I\'ll put it up and, if you all can give me some feedback, that would be great.  Just don\'t pick on Sacrifice.  It\'s like a child to me, sorry.  

http://stephrandall.tripod.com/

I\'ll be back to see what you think.  I have to get the rest of the pictures of my artwork tomorrow.  Then it will have more examples.  Thanks again!

gkg

hooray! good for you!  and hey - now your handle suddenly makes sense to me!

i think it works well and i like the work.  when you get the chance, and if the software will let you, it would be nice to be able to click on the images for a larger view - or maybe that feature is available and my popup blocker is working over time?

nice work - i\'d really like to be able to take a closer look at it.
Peace.

stuffyrandL

I\'m going to try to figure that out, gkg!  A friend said I may have to use their paid service to do that so we\'ll see!  I haven\'t even checked the site today as I am in the process of starting a new job.  It\'s at a horse farm nearby and I\'m going to work there in exchange for lessons for my girls and for me, too.  So, I was there for a while today.  I never want to leave, it\'s too relaxing.  LOL!  Then home and house cleaning.  The downstairs no longer looks like a tornado went through so I can actually get online for a few.  Then I\'m going to sleep!  I\'m beat!

Thanks so much for checking out the site, though.  "How Does It Feel?" has a lot of details that don\'t translate in the photo, unfortunately.  As do others so I\'ll work on the clicky window pop up thingies.  That was an exceedingly intelligent sentence, I know!

Have a good night everyone and I\'ll check back at some point!  Thanks!