New!
Thanatopsis "Requiem" Available now.

Studio Videos

Live in studio performances

West Memphis 3

Started by Willie\'s severed head, May 03, 2006, 06:50:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie\'s severed head

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that June 3 is WM3 Awareness Day. I am mentioning this a month in advance because the folks at WM3.org are planning a letter-writing campaign. All the letters will be sent to a designated PO box, and from there it will be delivered en masse to the governor of Arkansas on June 3. The letters have to be received by May 26.

The West Memphis 3, for those who don\'t know, are the three teenage boys accused and convicted of murdering three 8-year-old boys 12 years ago. One is currently on death row and the other two are serving life terms. I\'m not posting this to start a debate about capital punishment, or even whether these men are guilty or innocent. At the heart of this matter is whether they received a fair trial. I think upon closer review, one could reasonably conclude that they did not. One might even say the evidence was overwhelmingly in their favor, yet a number of factors--including grossly mishandled evidence, a corrupt police force, small-town fear, prejudice, ignorance, and a sensationalistic media helping to fuel the so-called "Satanic Panic"--sealed these men\'s fate before the trials even began.

I urge you to find out more and decide for yourself. Rent "Paradise Lost," a film that documented the trials, or visit http://www.wm3.org. There are a few books on the case as well.

The West Memphis 3 are still in the process of appeals. If you do decide that a grave miscarriage of justice had been committed, please show your support by educating others, contacting Arkansas officials, or donating to the defense fund. There are ways to help.

gkg

thank you very much for posting this timely reminder of a very important issue.
Peace.

image = <i>"Blue Velvet"</i> (front of 2-sided piece) (c) georgia k griffin - all rights reserved